Best way to get new chameleons to eat?

volcom137z

Tried perching them up on a big bowl with some crickets and they didn't touch any of them hand feeding didn't work either. So right now I have a Tupperware container mounted inside each cage with some crickets but they havnt touched them all day. Any tips?

Almost two days now and I figured that had something to do with it they mostly just hide in the umbrella trees so far. The temp and humidity is good and they are a nice shade of green. Guess they just need to figure things out.

Almost two days now and I figured that had something to do with it they mostly just hide in the umbrella trees so far. The temp and humidity is good and they are a nice shade of green. Guess they just need to figure things out.

It took my guy two weeks to learn to cup feed.
ANd it took him 5 days to settle in and eat.

My new little guy drank & went hunting within minutes of getting here...He was only as big as my little finger... I told him ... No TV unless he ate & drank!:rolleyes:..... Just give em a little settle in time;)

Yea figured they just needed to settle in. One of them ate one yesterday out of the container and after that he kept shooting at the plastic then gave up.I did throw some crickets in the cage not sure if they ate them though they could be hiding and I do have drippers going to for good measure one of them so far figured out he can drink from it.

I'm probaly stating the obvious.....

but when you say you put them in a dish, they were canned crickets? You need to put live ones in or else your CHAM won't see them. They can only see things that move. If you want to feed dead insects you will need to get a vibrating feeder bowl. This doesn't go for EVERY cham but it does for the majority.

if your feeding crickets why cup feed? i dont see a point of buying a wild animal only to "train it" let the poor thing hunt. its in a cage all day! might aswell be a prisoner.

thats just my opinion anyway. It's like a fish having a cup to have to eat out of. it's just odd

Cup feeding is probably not the best way to get a chameleon to eat - hunting for prey is way more exciting for them!

No they are not canned crickets I mounted a tupperware container near a vine so he can get to them and threw some live crickets in there today he actually cleaned all of them out as well as some meal worms after he was done with the crickets.

Congratulations, let the growing begin.
It's fun to watch them eat, get more comfortable with you and their surroundings as they become more colorful and larger.
It sounds like you're on your way!

Leave him alone?lol
Don't panic, that's normal for a new chameleon. Make sure he has water, humidity and temp are right. I hanged a little deep bowl to the side of the enclosure right below one of the branches. I had to because Fender was hand fed for 2 months and suddenly just refuse to get crickets from my finger..Sob!:(
He figured out pretty soon how to get crickets from his feeding cup. He's eating no prob..Unless I stare at him!;)

Back
Top Bottom