Best Way to Get a Cham Out of Their Cage?

CamrynTheCham22

Avid Member
I want to try different methods of getting my veiled cham out of her cage to bask in the sun, as right now my method is just causing stress of her end and my own. She is just so reluctant to touch my hand (even though she accepts food from a plate, which I am always holding with my hand in view) and I am looking for different methods that won't hurt her or me. She hasn't had any negative experiences with humans that I know of, and she will often aim at my finger because she thinks that it is food o_O Plus, when she leaves her cage, she immediately turns defensive. She panics and she has fallen off of my hand before because she lunges away. So what do you guys do? I thought doing some extra research would serve me well. Any advice is appreciated :)

I just stick my hand under and gently lift until they grab on. Obviously not yanking them. I don't have time to try and lure out all of my chameleons every day for sun. Eventually they walk right on if they enjoy going outside.

Thank you, I will definitely try that. I don't know why my chameleon is so weird, but she is super territorial over her cage, but I'm not surprised. She really doesn't have too much experience with going outside aside from a few times, so every time I go into her cage she thinks I'm going to hurt her. But I gotta start somewhere. Now it is finally the perfect temp for chams here, so this summer looks promising.

My ambilobe is still weary of hands. If I have to move him I use an extra branch/stick (a left over from his cage perches). I place it in front of him and slowly move my hand behind him, sometimes touching his tail or rump if he's being ststubbo). He will slowly make his way onto the branch. If he's feeling very insecure I make sure to hold the branch up above my eye level to make him feel safer

I can get my guy out with putting a stick in front and gently nudging him on there. Best way for me thought open cage door and put large fake plant in front.
Or what I have done is get a five gallon bucket spray that GREAT STUFF foam in it. After it hardens stick doll rods or branches in it and ties some horizontal
branches to it. Makes a nice sturdy base and is lite enough to move outside or by window.

My ambilobe is still weary of hands. If I have to move him I use an extra branch/stick (a left over from his cage perches). I place it in front of him and slowly move my hand behind him, sometimes touching his tail or rump if he's being ststubbo). He will slowly make his way onto the branch. If he's feeling very insecure I make sure to hold the branch up above my eye level to make him feel safer
My chameleon is much like this and tries to either gape and hiss when I reach too close to her or she will run away into the depths of her cage. I will lure her as far out as I can with food and then nudge her from behind onto either my hand or a stick. She has fallen off of my hand before by slipping so I was going to use gardening gloves (of fabric and latex) so she could grip better. Would the gloves help her stay on?

My chameleon is much like this and tries to either gape and hiss when I reach too close to her or she will run away into the depths of her cage. I will lure her as far out as I can with food and then nudge her from behind onto either my hand or a stick. She has fallen off of my hand before by slipping so I was going to use gardening gloves (of fabric and latex) so she could grip better. Would the gloves help her stay on?

Yes, when my guy was younger he was the same, slipping off my hand/arm, his feet were so tiny! They still kind of are, lol. Also, once he is on my hand, he usually panics and trys to run up my arm, which has even less grips! Thats why I like a stick. I can pick one that's a good grip size, and he just seems less suspicious of a stick. Gloves would definitely provide more grip, it's worth a shot. Be sure they do not have bright colors, as this may put her even more on the defensive. I once used a blue cup to water my pothos and it took me a second to realize why my Nosey was freaking out, ha! I also have to use food to lure him out, or I "ambush" him when he's on his basking spot, which is more exposed.

I will try a stick and then the gloves. I have light blue/green gloves that might appear as leaves or something close to that. She hasn't reacted strongly to any colors in particularly, so perhaps it will work. The stick seems to be the best option. Thank you for the input ;)

Back
Top Bottom