Best type of cham to start with.

plop9025

Established Member
Hey im new here, I am about to buy a chameleon offline and would like to know what the best species of chameleon is best to start with. I have a large 6-4 screen cage that I think would be perfect to start with. I am wondering witch one would be the best to start with aswell as the non agressive type because I do plan on hand feeding it at some point of time for a little trick. I have calcium powder and clamp lights already ill just need to get foilage and some tree branches from the local pet store. I have plenty of experience with reptiles from the past. have had several iguanas and bearded dragons as well as chineese water dragon. I just dont know much about chameleons and this site looked to be helpful.

Thanks.

i am also somewhat of a newbie but from all i have read and seen your best starter for ease of care and price would be a veiled male. hopefully some of the more experienced can chime in. if i had it to do over again that what i would have done
PS captive bred only

Welcome,
These are some great forums.

I am also new to chameleon keeping, in fact I got my first one today.

I did hours of research and from my own conclusions and from what others told me, a veiled chameleon is the way to go.

They are from Yemen which is in the middle east and do not require quite as much humidity and are quite hardy, the only problem you might run into is that they have a reputation for being somewhat aggressive, but it all depends on the individual. that is my 2 cents worth. Good luck with the process, it is a fun one!

It all depends on what your willing to do and research. I started with a Blue Bar Ambilobe for my first cham and thats has worked out great.

You should probably start with a male veiled or a panther. Both of these can be aggressive though, especially the veiled. My experiance with veileds has been that they are really only aggressive when their in the cage. Once out they are fine and stop all their hissing and bluffing. Both of these will tolerate some beginner mistakes your surely going to make. Be sure you get the correct bulbs. You'll need a reptisun linear 5.0 bulb. Don't let the petshop sell you one of the curly compact bulbs and tell you it's the same thing. This is what almost everyone else uses for good reason. Just get a plain basking bulb or 75 watt household bulb for his basking spot. Be sure and get your cham from a known or reliable breeder. There are quite a few online that ship high quality, healthy chams. Please ask any questions you want, everyone on here will be more than happy to help you. Welcome... David

Whats a good site to order chams from?

Whats a good site to order chams from that are healthy and in good shape?

The best chameleon I have found to start of with is a Parsons.:D
Just kidding!

I would go with a male Veiled or Pather, but it depends on what you want.
What are you currently looking at?
What intrest you?

I just got off the Phone with Mike at FLchams and he is awesome breeder.
Not to mention very helpfull and fun to talk with.

Becarefull though... he is a Sith Lord.

Whats a good site to order chams from that are healthy and in good shape?

The Veiled I just got today came from: Lost Lake Chameleons

I was very happy with the condition and quality of the animal. The breeder was quite helpful also.

FlChams is good from what I hear, and they have quite the selection.

Both have male veiled for right around $110 with shipping.

Both of those already mentioned are good suppliers of healthy chams as is chameleonsonly.com. LLLreptile always has chams though I personally wouldn't buy from them as they are really just middlemen in the business. I like to buy mine directly from the breeders. Firstchoicereptiles is an awsome source but usually just have the harder to obtain types. If you find one online you are unsure of, just ask the people on the forum. There are other good sources that just don't come to mind right now. David

just quickly read your OP (didn't get chance to read everyone elses replies, im at work) but i noticed you have 'clamp lamps'. Does this mean you have a compact uv bulb? if so then don't use it, they can be harmful to your cham.

Back
Top Bottom