Best Lighting combo for veiled

Chefbrittyp

I recently built a big custom cage (19"×36"×50") for my male veiled chameleon (apx 7 months old) I have been using the reptisun 5.0 UVB and 75watt daylight basking spot lamp. With the size of the new cage it was not getting warm enough in his cage so about a week ago I added a second 40w basking spot lamp for the other side. On good days it's around 82° in his basking area but when its drafty the basking area wont get above 70°.
I closed 2 sides of the sage with plexiglass attempting to keep some heat in with no luck. I live in WA state so my house sits around 60°.

I am looking for the best option for a tube style uvb and advice for heat.

I have tried regular 75 watt bulbs which I have read on here but they weren't cutting it.

He is happy, healthy, and active I am just trying to keep his set up perfect. Thanks!

I would get a reptisun T5HO 42" 5.0 get the double bulb fixture so you can install a 6500k as well(zoomed calls them ultra suns, they are in the fish area). You can also go with an arcadia 6% T5HO from lightyourreptiles if you dont want to by local. This setup will create 2-2.5ft of good uvb range from the bulb, aka about half the cage height.

for basking, you want an "area" to be a bit above 90F. You could do that in a corner with 1 low wattage bulb on each side, vs going for 1 high wattage bulb. I prefer the halogen bulbs, they provide good color, are wide flood, and are cheap at home repair stores. You do want a hot side of the cage and a cool side of the cage.

Check out www.lightyourreptiles.com. You can email Todd there with the dimensions of your cage and send him a pic of it and he will give you a lighting recommendation. I would be careful of how close your boy can get to the top where the light sits. High risk of a thermal burn with where he is sitting in that pic right on top of where the heat lamp sits.

Check out www.lightyourreptiles.com. You can email Todd there with the dimensions of your cage and send him a pic of it and he will give you a lighting recommendation. I would be careful of how close your boy can get to the top where the light sits. High risk of a thermal burn with where he is sitting in that pic right on top of where the heat lamp sits.
Thanks for the tip. The heat bulb is on the right side of the double bulb housing. Its about 7" from the bulb to the stick (I know it should be measured to his back but he usually hangs out sideways parallel to the stick)
I have a probe thermometer right above the stick in the fake plant that never gets above 80. I plan to move the light fixture and branch when I find a bulb with sufficient heat output.

Back
Top Bottom