Nikon 85mm f/1.8
Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8 VR
Nikon 80-400mm VR
Nikon 105mm f/2.8 VR Macro
Nikon 400mm f/2.8 AF-I
Nikon 1.4x TC-II
4 - Nikon SB-800 Speedlights.

That way I could get my bananas and Cheerios at the same time :rolleyes::).]

Did you buy it on a whim? Or was it the camera or milk? I hate to think of cheerios with water! (i knew a guy who used to do it and it just looked wrong!)

well if we're showing off glass :D ;):p

(in order of purchase)

Canon 28-135mm IS USM (don't like this lens much...mostly for clarity)
Canon 18-55mm IS (GREAT value! I like this lens)
Canon 100mm USM Macro (Love it!)
Canon 100-400mm L IS USM (LOVE IT! I want to marry is!)

don't get me started ;)

Offcourse I'm not hard to ask :D

Nikon AF-D 35mm f/2
Nikon AF-S 50mm f/1.4
Nikon AF-D 85mm f/1.8
Nikon AF-S 60mm f/2.8 Micro
Sigma 150mm f/2.8 Macro HSM
Sigma 120-300 f/2.8 HSM

+ flashes (studio, macro and "ordinary")
Teleconvertor, extensiontubes etc

Hm - I really thought it was more ( :) ), but I sold some when I wen't full frame this winter. (Sigma 105mm f/2.8 Macro, Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 HSM, Sigma 30mm f/1.4 HSM, Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8)

Nikon D200 & D300
Lenses:
Sigma 10-20mm
Nikon 10.5mm Fisheye
Nikon 17-55mm f/2.8
Nikon 18-200mm VR
Nikon 50mm f/1.4
Nikon 85mm f/1.8
Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8 VR
Nikon 80-400mm VR
Nikon 105mm f/2.8 VR Macro
Nikon 400mm f/2.8 AF-I
Nikon 1.4x TC-II
4 - Nikon SB-800 Speedlights.

Seriously, a pissing contest?

Lens and body are equally important, kinda silly saying they aren't.

However a quality lens should not lose its value over time if looked after properly.

I've been shooting on a 300D for almost 8 years and it has taken over 60 000 shots with only the shutter needing to be replaced. I have yet to come across a situation where I have needed a better camera so I have not 'upgraded' yet. It would have been nice to have a faster capture rate or higher res but not essential.

I shoot material for feature films, adverts, model portfolios etc. etc. I make a living manipulating images so I deal with them down to the level of individual pixels. What I'm getting at is you can still take great shots without spending a fortune and often all that extra cash is never utilized.

In this case I would suggest going for the 500 and spend the rest of your budget on a fairly decent set of lenses, a medium to wide-ish and a macro. Unless you plan on getting a job with National Geographic you are going to waste your money on anything more expensive. Don't get me wrong, I love having the best toys but when your final output is going to be what you show people at home or print yourself and web/email sized ones you upload you may as well spend the cash on something else. Next year there will be another range and your camera will be available for 3/4 the price you bought it for anyway :)

Think of your end format Vs your budget and work to that. Most of the time you won't be able to tell the difference between a great shot from a mid and top of the range DSLR regardless of the lens.

Cool, thanks for the advice!

In camera related news, I've been seeing used 450D's for £275 which I'm very happy with. Sound like a good deal?

No worries!

Right, here it is, 2nd hand camera, around £300; either:

Nikon D80
Canon 450D

What do you reckon?

I love the D80 as I've had it my self a couple of years ago (and it's a Nikon :) )

And the ergonomy is far better than the 450D.

But, what about the D200 ?

I love the D80 as I've had it my self a couple of years ago (and it's a Nikon :) )

And the ergonomy is far better than the 450D.

But, what about the D200 ?

Haven't seen many around...

Just seen one including grip £470, which isnt bad. Think that one has sold though! Typical!

Did you buy it on a whim? Or was it the camera or milk? I hate to think of cheerios with water! (i knew a guy who used to do it and it just looked wrong!)?
Howdy,

Fortunately, I already had the milk in the frig :rolleyes:.

I had been thinking for a year or two that a full frame sensor would be my next step but the pricing kept me away. The Canon 7D non-FF almost got me to bite but the T1i caught my attention too. I do have big hands and the smaller T1i body is a bit cramped but I decided that half the time it is mounted on a tripod and 10% of the time it's mounted on my microscope. When the T2i popped-up I decided to get past my ARPA (anal retentive painfully analytic) nature and decide one way or the other. So what the heck (ARPA and all), I decided to just buy the T2i and move-on!

Now to find a source for the 100mm maco (not to mention upgrading my PC... ARPA...ARPA...ARPA :()... :eek:

ARPA (anal retentive painfully analytic)

I think i have this! I came so close today to just buying a 450D then backed out last second! I should have done it but thought I'd wait a bit!

I decided that I wouldn't be able to choose the make I'd side with myself (Canon/Nikon/Sony/etc) so I let the sports photographers decide for me! I've watched all manner of sporting events today (football, tennis, rugby, F1) and have looked at the cameras that have been used. The overwhelming theme with the cameras they used was canon. I know it's not a fool proof way to choose, but, they all must have a reason for doing it, so it looks like I shall go for the 450D after all! UNLESS, the ARPA kicks in! :p

so I let the sports photographers decide for me! I've watched all manner of sporting events today (football, tennis, rugby, F1) and have looked at the cameras that have been used. The overwhelming theme with the cameras they used was canon. I know it's not a fool proof way to choose, but, they all must have a reason for doing it

The reason for the overwhelming Canon-users in this genera is that Nikon hasn't had competetive camera bodys for this use after the digital era - but, with the D3 they are actually gradually getting bigger and bigger in this genre.

I actually photograph norwegian top flight football/soccer with a Nikon :)

www.thorhakonsen.com/tippeligaen

that's part of it

The reason for the overwhelming Canon-users in this genera is that Nikon hasn't had competetive camera bodys for this use after the digital era ...

And, Canon has always had a more extensive and competent line of super-telephoto lenses; these being much more important for field sport.

... but, with the D3 they are actually gradually getting bigger and bigger in this genre.

Quite true; also Nikon's long lens offering have expanded.

I actually photograph norwegian top flight football/soccer with a Nikon :)

www.thorhakonsen.com/tippeligaen
Very impressive!

Last edited:
I think Canon just rocks..... Nikon.. eh...

When I first started at the photog studio (where I got into this...) I asked all the phographers 'what should I get, and why?' The most convincing comment I heard was "back in the day Canon went from and old, smaller lens mount to the current larger mount. Sure the Canon people of that time were mad... but it meant more optical expansion later...' and when I heard that I thought "hmm they're thinking ahead". Another comment was that 'nikon has the glass, canon has the bodies, but their glass is getting better and better'. So I went with Canon.

Personally I am not an expert and I don't have the crazy eye of a pro and i've never shot Nikon... so I am very bias when I say "i like canon better' LOL!

OH and another reason I went with canon.... and not sure how true this is these days or whatever, but at the time it made more sense to me... Nikon bodies drive the focusing of the lens... as in there is not a motor in the lens, but in the body. In a canon the focus motor is in the lens. The person giving me this info said nikons can be loud. The other thing to consider is that the camera body has more wearable parts. All of your focusing is done by one motor no matter the lens. With a canon, each lens does it's own focusing... so you have 5 lenses, you have 5 motors.... ya catch my drift? Another plus with that is.. if you buy a new lens with new technology.... say faster focus, you get a 'upgraded' focus motor (in a sense). So your always moving forward in that dept. And yes, I realize there are a lot of factors involved in the speed the lens will focus like camera processor and light availability and so on. BUT.. when buying a lens part of the lure of a lens will be it's focus speed based on the type of motor. Canon has their USM 'UltraSonic Motor' and then the cheaper lenses have a different style. Some USM are a ring drive motor... Ya know the movie 'Star Gate'? Imagine that giant ring that rotates within the outer ring as the motor in a canon lens.

The Ultrasonic Motor (USM) in Canon EF lenses is the world's first lens-based ultrasonic motor. Based on a totally new technology, the motor spins by ultrasonic oscillation energy. The USM is quiet and quick. It has made EF lenses almost noiseless and autofocusing fast, precise and practical. The direct-drive construction is very simple, with no gear train. This makes it durable and efficient. It also consumes little power. Two types of USM are used: Ring-type USM and Micro USM. The former type is found in large-aperture and super telephoto lenses, while the latter is used in more compact lenses. Using the optimum type of USM in the lens results in maximum efficiency and effectiveness.

IMG_RING-USM.jpg

IMG_MICRO-USM.jpg

Right, well, I think I've just secured a canon 450DD for £275 (just waiting for the final confirmation from the guy) so I'm pretty damn happy!

Now....... I need to buy myself some glass! Suggestions please! :p Just a good starting lens for now will do!

Right, well, I think I've just secured a canon 450DD for £275 (just waiting for the final confirmation from the guy) so I'm pretty damn happy!

Now....... I need to buy myself some glass! Suggestions please! :p Just a good starting lens for now will do!

You can't go wrong with the 100mm macro if your gonna mostly be shooting pics of your chams and portraits...... but I would find a 18-55mm IS to go with it.

The 18-55mm IS is a kit lens that comes with rebels and you can find those for about $100-120 used. I suggest this lens because it is a low cost, but much improved version of the previous 18-55mm that did not come with Image Stabilizer. I have this lens and use it often for general candid pics. For the money it is worth it I think.

Some 18-55mm IS pics from last weekend. It was my GFs graduation and her sisters birthday... but these pics are mostly of my GF's sister and other stuff :eek:

Story time...

KevinZamp05_23_20102831RS.jpg

KevinZamp05_23_20102828RS.jpg

KevinZamp05_23_20102849RS.jpg

KevinZamp05_23_20102861RS.jpg

Fred

KevinZamp05_23_20102846RS.jpg

KevinZamp05_23_20102837RS.jpg

It took me years to get onto that book....

Sweet! I'm asking the guy I'm buying it off what he suggests too as I just saw that he sold off a nice macro lens just the other week! Gutted! I could have had them both!

The first proper thing I'll use it for is me and the gf on holiday (hence why I cant buy the macro lens straight away... she is broke and I'm paying! Damn students!) so will the 18-55 be alright?

Back
Top Bottom