Best DSLR camera for my needs?

You can't go wrong with the 100mm macro if your gonna mostly be shooting pics of your chams and portraits......

Absolutely correct. I would recommend the Canon 100 2.8 macro or the Tokina 100 2.8 macro.
Tamron and Sigma - not my way.......

....but I would find a 18-55mm IS to go with it.

PLEASE don´t waste your money with this or similar lenses. I have the 18-55 (non IS) from my old EOS400 and made much shots with the 18-55 IS - they lenses are ok, but not more and in my opinion every euro, pound or dollar is wasted. I never would buy one of these lenses again.

Much of this pictures.....
https://www.chameleonforums.com/susi-peter-s-chamaeleons-41665/
are made with the 18-55 lens. They are good, mostly sharp - but not real sharp! It is a big difference between the sharpness of the 18-55 and my 70-200 4.0 L IS - my problem is that our balcony is to small for this lens.... ;-)
The Problem of these (18-55) lenses are the aperture if you wanna shoot at bad light or at night.......

Suggestions please! :p Just a good starting lens for now will do!

You wrote at the beginning you wanna shoot landscapes and macro. My first recommend is one of the both macros above.
The second recommend is the Tokina 11-16 2.8 lens for landscapes.
http://www.tokinalens.com/products/tokina/atx116prodx-a.html

The most of the none animal pictures in this tread are made with this lens.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/you...ton-d-c-new-york-30607/index2.html#post295761

If the last lens is too wide, you should take a good 18-50 lens with an aperture of 2.8. Maybe the Tokina?

This is my current problem - I need a good standard zoom lens - not easy!

Peter

Macro

You might look for an EF-s 60 mm Macro lens; its macro, of course, and not a bad length for portraits on a cropped sensor like your 450D.

Absolutely correct. I would recommend the Canon 100 2.8 macro or the Tokina 100 2.8 macro.
Tamron and Sigma - not my way.......

PLEASE don´t waste your money with this or similar lenses. I have the 18-55 (non IS) from my old EOS400 and made much shots with the 18-55 IS - they lenses are ok, but not more and in my opinion every euro, pound or dollar is wasted. I never would buy one of these lenses again.

Much of this pictures.....
https://www.chameleonforums.com/susi-peter-s-chamaeleons-41665/
are made with the 18-55 lens. They are good, mostly sharp - but not real sharp! It is a big difference between the sharpness of the 18-55 and my 70-200 4.0 L IS - my problem is that our balcony is to small for this lens.... ;-)
The Problem of these (18-55) lenses are the aperture if you wanna shoot at bad light or at night.......

You wrote at the beginning you wanna shoot landscapes and macro. My first recommend is one of the both macros above.
The second recommend is the Tokina 11-16 2.8 lens for landscapes.
http://www.tokinalens.com/products/tokina/atx116prodx-a.html

The most of the none animal pictures in this tread are made with this lens.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/you...ton-d-c-new-york-30607/index2.html#post295761

If the last lens is too wide, you should take a good 18-50 lens with an aperture of 2.8. Maybe the Tokina?

This is my current problem - I need a good standard zoom lens - not easy!

Peter

Excellent advice thanks!

You might look for an EF-s 60 mm Macro lens; its macro, of course, and not a bad length for portraits on a cropped sensor like your 450D.

Just been looking at these! They look pretty sweet too! This is going to open a whole world of spending to me isnt it.... :D

Peter

That bad huh?

This isn't a challenge, but I am curious what you recommend as a low cost wider angle zoom lens? I am rereading the review on this lens and it seems like it isn't that bad....I think I might have confused another review with this review, because I don't remember this lens seeming all that bad. Plus it works well for my uses. :eek:

Edit: reading up on the 17-55mm lens and DAMN is it a lot of money.... but f/2.8 is kinda nice :D

Last edited:
@ James - have a look at this (german) page - all tests are in english:
http://www.photozone.de/canon-eos

This isn't a challenge, but I am curious what you recommend as a low cost wider angle zoom lens?

Hi Kevin,
sorry about the confusion. For the price of these lenses they are absolutely OK - but the picture quality level is lower than the most EOS-bodys have. If you have a better lens you can exhaust the power of your camera - but not with these lenses - sorry.
I think this is the same like Chris Anderson wrote - he shoots with an older camera but with real good lenses.........

For example - to discard my old Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 USM I tested the Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 USM IS and was excited. After this I tested the Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 USM L IS and was absolutely impressed. It was reason enough to buy it.

My recommend as a low cost wider angle zoom lens - difficult!
If it must be a low cost lens I would take the Tamron AF 17-50mm f/2.8 SP XR Di II LD Aspherical [IF].
http://www.photozone.de/canon-eos/2...ii-ld-aspherical-if-canon-test-report--review
But I would prefer to save the money and invest (much) more money in a real good lens. The problem - in this range there is no perfect lens.

Peter

I am talking with this guy on Craigslist (online classifieds)... He has a 30D, the vertical grip, 17-55mm IS USM, 430EX flash and 4GB CF card... all for $1200USD. I could flip the camera and flash..... :D

Right, question:

Is, 18-55mm + 55-250mm (both IS) worth getting for £225 plus postage? I'm after an 18-55 obviously, but the 55-250 might be nice as a ok zoom lens...

Any thoughts?

OK is what I'm after for now is it not?! I've read the review and it seems pretty complementary for the price! I know they're not going to be amazing, but they are pretty staple lenses and I should be able to resell them in the future if I want to upgrade! :D

Final question (honest...) is the IS worth it on the 18-55 for £10 extra? I know earlier Peter you said it wasn't, but it seems silly for that much not to get it, does it not???

Thanks!

OK is what I'm after for now is it not?! I've read the review and it seems pretty complementary for the price! I know they're not going to be amazing, but they are pretty staple lenses and I should be able to resell them in the future if I want to upgrade! :D

Final question (honest...) is the IS worth it on the 18-55 for £10 extra? I know earlier Peter you said it wasn't, but it seems silly for that much not to get it, does it not???

Thanks!

It is worth it because of the optics upgrade in the lens. When Canon made the new version of the 18-55mm and added IS, they put in better glass.

18-55mm IS Review

55-250mm IS Review

...Now to find a source for the 100mm maco (not to mention upgrading my PC... ARPA...ARPA...ARPA :()... :eek:
Howdy,

I took the plunge and got the "L series" 100mm IS USM Macro from B&H this morning :eek:. My justification was that it's a new design (2009) and it will hold its value for a loooong time compared to my new Canon T2i DSLR body. Canon told me that the regular 100mm macro is out of production. I don't know exactly what that means but it is a 10yr-old design anyway. Getting the T2i with the 18-55mm kit lens and now the "L" is still $600 cheaper than just the 5DII body alone :eek:. I think I'm covered for a while :). I got to try that "L" lens (borrowed it from my brother) on my old 300D and the 1.6 crop factor was ok with me.

100l

Howdy,

I took the plunge and got the "L series" 100mm IS USM Macro from B&H this morning :eek:.
I got to try that "L" lens (borrowed it from my brother) on my old 300D and the 1.6 crop factor was ok with me.

Hah! Never borrow someone else's L lens, even for a minute. You get infected with "L Fever" and you have to have the better lens.

Seriously, it is a great design and the quality of the images from the thing is just stunning. You'll be in love with it. Congrats.

Canon told me that the regular 100mm macro is out of production. ...

Yup, this is typical for them, to drop the old design a few months after the new one is out. However, there are millions of copies of the older lens out in the world, so finding a used one should be easy for a long, long time.

Howdy,

I took the plunge and got the "L series" 100mm IS USM Macro from B&H this morning :eek:. My justification was that it's a new design (2009) and it will hold its value for a loooong time compared to my new Canon T2i DSLR body. Canon told me that the regular 100mm macro is out of production. I don't know exactly what that means but it is a 10yr-old design anyway. Getting the T2i with the 18-55mm kit lens and now the "L" is still $600 cheaper than just the 5DII body alone :eek:. I think I'm covered for a while :). I got to try that "L" lens (borrowed it from my brother) on my old 300D and the 1.6 crop factor was ok with me.

Question about macros...

What's the deal with the focal length on macro's? Is it that with a 60mm lens you have to be closer to focus than you would with a 100mm lens? If that makes sense? Thanks all!

For 10 Pound it is! You will be happy about the IS lens when the light is not the best.

Cool! Thanks! Shall confirm with the guy now then! Hopefully he can get it sent tomorrow (bank holiday today :( so no post) so that it'll be here on wednesday with my 450D! Can't wait to get some shots up ASAP! Lets hope the chams play ball (as normally they friggin hate my camera - Dante didn't used to mind my mates DSLR so there's hope!)

100mm will require you to be farther away from your subject. It will also give you a very slightly wider depth of field then the 60mm. Which..when shooting macro, is priceless.

....and with an 100mm macro you will get the 1:1 scale over a longer distance than with an 60mm macro. It better if your photo target do not allows to come closer.

Back
Top Bottom