bell peppers?

haha, thats actually why i was asking :D

Make sure you get organic! Bell peppers hold pesticides INSIDE of them. You can't just wash it off- it is a very absorbent and thin skinned fruit (technically a fruit :))

that means we are eating pesticides nice

Well, yes. Scary, isn't it? You would be surprised what you are eating. I work at a health food cooperative grocery, by the way. We carry a lot of organic, local items. A lot of it is vegan and gluten-free as well. I have learned a lot working here. Also, I get to go through the less pretty produce and bring it home! (yay free gutload!!)

All in all, I suggest buying organic produce for you and your feeders when you can- if you are on a budget like most of us are, get thicker skinned fruits and veggies conventional and thinner skinned ones organic- the pesticides really soak into the food and do not just wash off. A thick peeled conventional banana, orange, lime or pomegranate should be a lot safer than a conventional bell pepper, kale, strawberry, apple, etc. I also think that most root veggies such as carrots, yams and sweet potatoes are pretty safe conventional- just wash them well with soap (make sure to rinse well, too!) and use your best judgment- there is still chemical pollution in the soil. I personally only really eat organic now.

Just my two cents!

I agree, probably best to avoid this. While I am unable to find any reliable sources that indicate that bell pepper leaves are toxic, there are plenty of other plants in this family (Solanaceae), or nightshades, including potatoes, which have edible fruits or roots, but toxic leaves. Probably best not to risk it.

what do they do to hornworms?

What do what do to hornworms? You should only feed them chow- it is the same as silkie chow. They can survive for a few days on bell pepper slices and possibly carrots. In the wild they eat tobacco, tomato and potato leaves and it makes them extremely toxic as those plants are all from the nightshade family.

What do what do to hornworms? You should only feed them chow- it is the same as silkie chow. They can survive for a few days on bell pepper slices and possibly carrots. In the wild they eat tobacco, tomato and potato leaves and it makes them extremely toxic as those plants are all from the nightshade family.

dodolah said to use it for cool effects :rolleyes: just wondering if they do something different. I just fed my veiled a horned worm for the first time and he loved it. I guess it will be a new occasional snack >.< not to often though cuz they are 2 dollars a piece here at the local petstore

I was told bell peppers are not good gutload. I forget where I was reading it, I think it was this forum. Maybe someone will chime in on this.

I was told bell peppers are not good gutload. I forget where I was reading it, I think it was this forum. Maybe someone will chime in on this.

They aren't good gutload because they don't have much to them, however they will keep hornworms alive for a bit if you run out of chow.

dodolah said to use it for cool effects :rolleyes: just wondering if they do something different. I just fed my veiled a horned worm for the first time and he loved it. I guess it will be a new occasional snack >.< not to often though cuz they are 2 dollars a piece here at the local petstore

You can go to rainbowmealworms.com and get them. My chameleons love them.

Back
Top Bottom