Are all houseplants safe for chameleons?

Luca and chilito

I got my chameleon a bigger cage for him. I don't know which plants are safe and Im just wondering if all houseplants are safe. If you can please list some safe plants for a panther.

Thanks,
Luca and chilito (little pepper)

Heres more

Attachments

• 6E49B329-57E9-4234-A1E7-C05B906F836E.jpeg
    6E49B329-57E9-4234-A1E7-C05B906F836E.jpeg
    254.8 KB · Views: 90
  • 84EA4F2E-0D9B-4F48-8436-35478E6BF1C3.jpeg
    84EA4F2E-0D9B-4F48-8436-35478E6BF1C3.jpeg
    177.9 KB · Views: 83
Id personally stay away from very stringy ones, for example, spider plants. Not that they are all toxic, but my female veiled choked while trying to eat one. Be careful especially with vields that will eat plants.

Not all houseplants are safe for chameleons. Some houseplants are toxic to chameleons, and their consumption can cause serious health problems, including gastrointestinal distress, seizures, and even death.

It's important to research any plant before introducing it to your chameleon's enclosure. Here are some common houseplants that are toxic to chameleons and should be avoided:

1. Poinsettia (Euphorbia pulcherrima)
  2. Ivy (Hedera species)
  3. Philodendron (Philodendron species)
  4. Schefflera (Schefflera species)
  5. Rubber plant (Ficus elastica)
  6. Aloe vera (Aloe vera)
  7. Snake plant (Sansevieria trifasciata)
If you're unsure about whether a plant is safe for your chameleon, it's best to err on the side of caution and avoid it. Always research plants before introducing them to your chameleon's enclosure, and consult with a veterinarian or experienced reptile keeper if you have any concerns.

Not all houseplants are safe for chameleons. Some houseplants are toxic to chameleons, and their consumption can cause serious health problems, including gastrointestinal distress, seizures, and even death.

It's important to research any plant before introducing it to your chameleon's enclosure. Here are some common houseplants that are toxic to chameleons and should be avoided:

2. Ivy (Hedera species)
  6. Aloe vera (Aloe vera)
If you're unsure about whether a plant is safe for your chameleon, it's best to err on the side of caution and avoid it. Always research plants before introducing them to your chameleon's enclosure, and consult with a veterinarian or experienced reptile keeper if you have any concerns.
Hi. Welcome to the forum. :) I’ve noticed that some of the posts that you’re responding to are at best several months old. That’s always great to add more info, but the OP may no longer be around/active.
I do also want to let you know that schefflera is one of the plants that is on the safe list for chameleons. What is it that makes it on your toxic list? Also curious what makes philodendron toxic? I use heart leaf philodendron with my veileds as from the info I’ve found, the toxicity is primarily calcium oxalates, which is the same for our standard pothos. I haven’t noticed my veileds eating it though.,,they stick to their pothos. Also, many use monstera varieties which are in the philodendron category. The list that many of us go by and recommend to others is here. https://chameleonacademy.com/plants/ From your user name and threads you’ve commented in, I assume you’re a ‘plant person’. I think it would be awesome if you started a thread about the plants which are and aren’t safe and then we can all talk about it, have healthy debate/discussion and share knowledge. That is one of the main functions of the forum. ;)

Hi. Welcome to the forum. :) I’ve noticed that some of the posts that you’re responding to are at best several months old. That’s always great to add more info, but the OP may no longer be around/active.
I do also want to let you know that schefflera is one of the plants that is on the safe list for chameleons. What is it that makes it on your toxic list? Also curious what makes philodendron toxic? I use heart leaf philodendron with my veileds as from the info I’ve found, the toxicity is primarily calcium oxalates, which is the same for our standard pothos. I haven’t noticed my veileds eating it though.,,they stick to their pothos. Also, many use monstera varieties which are in the philodendron category. The list that many of us go by and recommend to others is here. https://chameleonacademy.com/plants/ From your user name and threads you’ve commented in, I assume you’re a ‘plant person’. I think it would be awesome if you started a thread about the plants which are and aren’t safe and then we can all talk about it, have healthy debate/discussion and share knowledge. That is one of the main functions of the forum. ;)
As for philodendron, you are correct that the primary toxic component of this plant is calcium oxalate crystals, which can cause irritation and swelling of the mouth and throat if ingested. While philodendron is not typically lethal to animals if ingested in small amounts, it can cause discomfort and potentially more serious health problems if ingested in large quantities.

2. Ivy (Hedera species)
  6. Aloe vera (Aloe vera)
You are going to find that chameleons will be ignoring the standard plant toxicity lists. It would be best not to make sweeping statements about plant toxicity for chameleons until you actually document or even see an issue. Schefflera has been used for decades without an issue. Pothos should be on your list of concern if oxalates are a cause to be on the toxic list. But Pothos is the most common plant used and eaten by veiled chameleons. Although we can know the composition of the plants, we are still working on how that composition affects chameleons and of what level the danger level actually is .

Back
Top Bottom