Before I go to the vet in a complete panic...

Not only will the window do her no good for UVB...it will be chilly there and she could end up with a fungal infection or a respiratory infection.

Hope she does okay for you!

Yeah I figured keeping her away from the window was a much better idea. I did see some grass today, so perhaps Spring IS on it's way!!!!

I woke up today and she was wide awake, not napping or even looking remotely tired. She's basking and being her cute little self. I gave her a nice warm mist and I'm going to see if she will have an appetite at all, maybe eat a small hornworm.

Just wanted to update everyone on Layla and my family's dog, Chester.

Layla still has not gone to the bathroom. She had a hornworm on Friday, we gave her one yesterday (Saturday) but she did not eat it. She is currently in one of her favorite spots on the cage, near the top, but is looking slightly stressed. I'm definitely worried about her.

As for Chester, my family's Golden Retriever. My mom has been going to visit him every day at the vet. He was able to walk a little bit yesterday without the use of the slings, but he does have to lean against someone in order to walk. He will be coming home on Monday!! He has 2 tumors on his spleen, no idea if they are benign or malignant. But after all he went through, we do not want to go into major surgery with a biopsy and then a possible spleenectomy (sp?) followed by chemotherapy (saying they are malignant). No one is home to take care of him all day long, and we feel that he would not have a very good quality of life. We are just going to let everything run it's course. He is not showing any signs of discomfort or pain, so until that happens, we are going to let him live his life, wag his adorable and gigantic retriever tail, and give us lots of love and kisses :D. He's 13, which is old for a golden, and he has had a long and amazing life. There is no need for us to end it unless he is showing us signs.

Thank you all so much for your concern. It means the world to me. I'll continue updating you on Layla's progress.

I hope all works out well. My heart goes out to you and both of your beloved pets. Please let us know how it goes.

Bad news :(

Well, I woke up this morning and, as usual, took a look at all the cages and noticed Layla had gone to the bathroom. I was so excited! Then I looked up at Layla and immediately got upset.

Layla has prolapsed again. I'm going to have to call the vet, we're going to have to put her down today :(

I am so sorry to hear that, I guess there is nothing else that he can do? Both you and she have tried so hard, this is very disheartening.:(

There is really nothing else we can do. The vet said the next option, other than euthanasia would be major abdominal surgery that may/may not work, which we just can't do to her. She's so small and fragile already, it wouldn't be right to do that to her, not to mention all the follow up care. She just wouldn't have a great quality of life. Sean and I had discussed that if she didn't have so many issues from day one, we may have considered it, but she has not been a healthy chameleon since we got her. We were told she was ready to breed in a couple of months, our little girl is only 33 grams... she has gained only 10 grams since we got her last June, which is not right. She had a possible liver issue that we took her to the vet for and got antibiotics. Then the most recent issue of her not being able to form eggs completely which lead us to her first prolapse. The little girl has already gone through enough medical issues, I honestly think it's best to say goodbye. I'm doing the right thing, right??

Ugh, what's worse is she knows something is wrong. She just keeps looking at it knowing that something is not right back there. It's almost as if she knows today is the end of her life. I've called and made the appointment for 2:00. I couldn't go in any earlier because I have to go with my dad to pick up Chester at the vet, seeing how he won't be able to get him out of the car by himself.

There is really nothing else we can do. The vet said the next option, other than euthanasia would be major abdominal surgery that may/may not work, which we just can't do to her. She's so small and fragile already, it wouldn't be right to do that to her, not to mention all the follow up care. She just wouldn't have a great quality of life. Sean and I had discussed that if she didn't have so many issues from day one, we may have considered it, but she has not been a healthy chameleon since we got her. We were told she was ready to breed in a couple of months, our little girl is only 33 grams... she has gained only 10 grams since we got her last June, which is not right. She had a possible liver issue that we took her to the vet for and got antibiotics. Then the most recent issue of her not being able to form eggs completely which lead us to her first prolapse. The little girl has already gone through enough medical issues, I honestly think it's best to say goodbye. I'm doing the right thing, right??

Yes you are doing the right thing. It is horrible and hard, but we put aside what we want and do what it best for our beloved chameleons. Sometimes they just can't go on with us. I am so sorry.

I am so sorry that Layla is in such a bad way. It is horrifying having to make a decision like yours, but you are doing the best thing by her and if she could thank you I am sure that she would. I`m really sorry about your dog too :( that really sucks. I feel so bad for you both :( you will be in my thoughts today.

Well, it's all over. She was much worse than in the picture I had put in the first post. We're pretty sure her intestines were starting to come out this time. It was such a hard thing to do, but now she's in chameleon heaven with our very first chameleon we had, Rosalita.

Thank you all for your prayers and concerns. It meant so much to us. On the up side, Chester, the golden, is home safe and sound and happy as can be :)

I am so sorry about Layla. You did everything you could for her, and I believe you made the right decision. Like you said, she is in chameleon heaven now.

I am glad to hear your dog is doing better, I hope he will keep improving.

Back
Top Bottom