Before I go to the vet in a complete panic...

Oh boy I just feel so sorry for you and your pets. Poor Layla looks so sick. Prayers for all. Hows your dog doing?

I am glad to hear your vet was able to help her. I hope she will recover quickly, I will keep my fingers crossed. How is your dog?

Good news for Layla. Bad news for Chester. He is a 13 year old Golden Retriever. We dropped him off this morning at the vet and the vet said she thinks he has what the call "Old Dog Vesidula" (I believe that is what she said.. I was pretty out of it this morning). Basically it's like Vertigo to a human where he is just insanely dizzy, which explained the vomiting and inability to stand. What is weird to us, however, is the fact that the whole left side of his face was droopy (sounds like a stroke to me) and his head was tilted to the left. My dad and I had to get him off the bed by using 2 sheets as a sling (not easy when the dog is 115 pounds!). We then had to pick him up and bring him down the stairs. Let's keep in mind that I am only 5 feet tall and about 5 pounds heavier than the dog lol. Then we carried him to the car and into the trunk. He couldn't walk or stand at all.

We got a call earlier today that he has a mass in his abdomen and they are going to do a sonogram tomorrow morning. It's not looking good, unfortunately :(

Mr. Wilson,
I'm sorry to hear about your dog and chameleon, talk about having a bad day! By chance is the vet that treated your chameleon in north Jersey? I am looking for reccomendations for a good vet in my area in the event of emergencies.

I feel for you & her... Good luck. I'm hoping for the best. Sorry to hear about your dog too. :( Make sure you post back after vet. Are you anywhere near Cherry Hill by any chance? I saw a vet w/ Diego that was FANTASTIC!!! He spent a lot of time w/ us & even followed up w/ a phone call himself a few days later to check up on him.

We are actually located in Monmouth County. Brought him to the Middletown Animal Hospital on Route 35 in Middletown, NJ. Dr. Curro is the vet who helped us with Farran and now Layla. He is really absolutely wonderful. He truly loves working with exotic animals, specializing in reptiles. He didn't just send us off or tell us to euthanize her.. he wanted to truly help. When he told us he could tie it off and snip it.. I asked him what would the cost be because if it was something that may NOT be successful, we really didn't want to spend a few hundred dollars. He completely understood and helped us out immensely charging us the least amount he could. It was truly wonderful to finally meet a vet that is in it for the love of the animals and not the money.

You've had a really rough day. I agree with you about the dog, it sounds like he had a stroke. It was probably part of the whole health decline that is summarized in "the mass".

I'm so glad that Layla is doing better than expected. I hope she continues to thrive.

We are actually located in Monmouth County. Brought him to the Middletown Animal Hospital on Route 35 in Middletown, NJ. Dr. Curro is the vet who helped us with Farran and now Layla. He is really absolutely wonderful. He truly loves working with exotic animals, specializing in reptiles. He didn't just send us off or tell us to euthanize her.. he wanted to truly help. When he told us he could tie it off and snip it.. I asked him what would the cost be because if it was something that may NOT be successful, we really didn't want to spend a few hundred dollars. He completely understood and helped us out immensely charging us the least amount he could. It was truly wonderful to finally meet a vet that is in it for the love of the animals and not the money.

So glad to hear it... looks like you got her to a great vet. I felt the same way about the vet Diego went to see. It's really awesome when they love what they do & it shows. Hope she's doing better. Be sure to post an update.

Last edited:
Little update on Layla - When I woke up this morning (I had to sleep in after the day I had yesterday lol), Layla had her eyes closed. I gave her a nice warm mist to see if it would perk her up a little bit and it seemed to help her a little. I currently have a small superworm in her cage to see if she will show any interest in eating. We had ordered hornworms that were suppose to arrive a couple days ago, but we still haven't received them :( Fingers crossed.

After the prolapse I would not offer supers as they are fairly harsh to digest due to the hard outer skin. What outer kind of feeders do you have?

I was very happy to hear Layla is doing well and am hoping for you dog.

Unfortunately the only type of feeder we have now is dubias. We are still waiting for our hornworms to get here. I need her to eat SOMETHING though, since she has not eaten since Tuesday. I found the smallest one I could find and it seems to have perked her up a bit. She is moving around the cage pretty well now. Fingers crossed I didn't just kill her.

I think horns or silks would be the best options for feeders at this point. If you dont get the horns soon, I'd try crickets. But just feed a few and mist heavily to help with hydration and passing the stool. Sounds like you got lucky and found a good vet that makes a world of difference.

She has eaten the super and looks fine as of now. I misted her a few minutes after she ate it and fully soaked all the leaves so she has a lot of water to drink. I'm waiting for the worms to get here today. I'm just keeping my eye on her and misting her often, along with the automatic misters.

She has eaten the super and looks fine as of now. I misted her a few minutes after she ate it and fully soaked all the leaves so she has a lot of water to drink. I'm waiting for the worms to get here today. I'm just keeping my eye on her and misting her often, along with the automatic misters.

It sounds like you are doing all you can, so hang in there. She might also eat a small dubia. My tiny tavatana's love small dubias. Fingers are crossed, keep us posted please.

So I lied... she didn't eat the super haha. It must have fallen off of the side of the cage. But the hornworms came in! She hasn't eaten it yet, but its sitting on a leaf right in front of her so now it's just a waiting game to see if she will eat and go to the bathroom. Right now she seems to be basking and OK.

After her ordeal. She may not eat for several days. As long as shes drinking and basking I wouldnt trip out. As long as she stays hydrated she can go a while without food. It actually might be a good thing if she doesnt eat much for a cpl of days. Maybe it will give her some time to retract everything before having to strain to defecate.

After her ordeal. She may not eat for several days. As long as shes drinking and basking I wouldnt trip out. As long as she stays hydrated she can go a while without food. It actually might be a good thing if she doesnt eat much for a cpl of days. Maybe it will give her some time to retract everything before having to strain to defecate.

Good post, I was going to say the same thing.

I wouldn't worry too much if she naps. She has been through a lot. The best thing you can do is stay away and let her recover. Misting a couple extra times may help as well.

If you can get her in the natural sunlight.

I'll see what I can do about natural sunlight. It's not going to be easy though. She definitely can't go outside, too cold here in NJ! Her cage is attached to the stand with velcro, a drain and misters along with the lights all hooked up into timers. I'd be afraid to put her near a window because I just feel like she will still be too cold even with a heat lamp.

She did not eat today, but like you said, I'm not going to stress out about it. What you guys say makes sense. And as for the napping, that makes sense too. If I were poked and prodded and had things shoved back into me, I'd be pretty tired too haha. She did well today, other than the napping. I'll update everyone at some point tomorrow. The Doc said to let him know how she is in 48 hours, so tomorrow will be a good day to see how she's doing.

Don't worry about getting the cage near a window, the good stuff doesn't pass through plastic or glass. He meant take her outside - not an option for some of us right now.:(

Back
Top Bottom