bees?

Grantman

hello i was wondering if bees would be ok to feed a cham, i know its probably not good but im just curioius

don't know the harmful aspect, if any. i have heard /read of some chameleons that walloped down a bee or wasp a while ago, and was fine...

i wouldn't attempt to use it as a feeder. some tissues like the tongue could be stung and become swollen.

I wouldn't.
They probably eat them in their natural environment, but yours are captive ... why would you risk a sting?

-Brad

my veiled ate a bee outside when he was chilling on a plant soaking up some 80 degree weather the other day. I assumed he would eat them in the wild and nothing bad has happened. (it happened saturday)

is pollen bad? cuz i heard somewhere that it is quite healthy.cuz maybe if u just take the stinger off with tweezers it mite be good and i nice big scource of food as a treat if it isnt bad.

is pollen bad? cuz i heard somewhere that it is quite healthy.cuz maybe if u just take the stinger off with tweezers it mite be good and i nice big scource of food as a treat if it isnt bad.

But bees are disappearing as it is. Let's not have a whole bunch of cham owners run out and put further strain on them. I love bees. xP

I wouldn't.
They probably eat them in their natural environment, but yours are captive ... why would you risk a sting?

-Brad

:) I have seen my chams eat bees and wasps when they are outside for the summer. The first time I saw it I was out in the yard working and noticed one of my male panthers DART!! from the bottom of his 6 foot enclosure to almost the top. He stopped and preformed the longest tongue shot I have seen personally in a chameleon:rolleyes: I went over and it was a wasp. I kinda freaked for a second but he sat there and chewed contently and went on about his business. I was kinda paranoid about something happening and was going to try and prevent it (fine screen) but then thought, hell they have been doing this all summer this year and probably last hahaha. The bees are attracted to the water on a summer day. I will catch bumble bees and throw them in the enclosures but they can catch the ones that sting themselves.

I am not saying to let your guy eat bees. Like Brad said, why risk it. However I do attribute the more healthier, happier state of my chams in the summer time to housing them in natural sun with more of a varied diet in the summer. I also include moths, grasshoppers, katy dids, etc in the summer. Of course from a "safe" area. I have a customer that has lots of pesticide free land that I catch my bugs from in the warmer months. I would be more worried about pesticides than a bee sting;)

ya i mite just wait for moths in the summer, i am just anxious to see my cham eat something that flies cuz there arent and flies or anything this time a year except bees so ya, maybe he'll get lucky and have a bee fly in his cae when im not looking

ya i mite just wait for moths in the summer, i am just anxious to see my cham eat something that flies cuz there arent and flies or anything this time a year except bees so ya, maybe he'll get lucky and have a bee fly in his cae when im not looking

Hahaha:). Remember Im not saying to feed him bees or there isnt a possibility of a sting. With your guy still being younger I would watch out. Mine are and were adults. Moths would be a great flying insects rather than bees. Just watch for the bright colored ones because they may be poisonous. A search for wild caught bugs might bring up some threads interesting to you.

Working in the veterinary field, I have seen some very serious complications caused by bee stings. Fatal anaphylactic reactions caused by bee stings are extremely common in dogs and most of them need antihistamine injections. I myself came very close to loosing my dog to one single bee sting. I am sure you don't know exactly how your chameleon will react to a sting, and a retained stinger could potentially cause a nasty abscess in your chameleons mouth, once he or she ingests it. That having been said, why risk it?

-Cala-

This guy who owns a reptile shop by my mom has been telling me about a zoomed product called the Bug Napper, or something like that. It is designed to catch wild bugs. I have seen a picture of it and it is something i am thinking about picking one up. the things you need to be careful of, well things for me anyway, is when the city sprays for misquitos during the summer. Other than that i dont have to worry about insecticides.

Also it is important to not feed bugs with bright colors, large pinchers, ect...

maybe ok if you remove the stinger? its a good source of pollen?

I wanna see the person that is sitting there holding a bee attempting to rip its stinger off with tweezers. That could be a hit on youtube. Getting stung on the fingers constantly, haha.

i did

my chameleons vet said it was okay, fridgerate the bee first (to slow it down), and use a pencile to push down on its abdomen so the stringer sticks out, use tweezers or something to pull it out, then the thing is a harmless treat!

so ur saying it would be ok to feed my cham a bee as a treat if i slow it down and remove the stinger???? cuz if so id love to

Back
Top Bottom