BEE!

So my chameleon got a hold of a bee and ate it. I'm pretty sure she got stung because of some markings on her mouth. Should I bee worried? Sry for the pun 20191014_153956.jpg

Attachments

• 20191014_154002.jpg
    20191014_154002.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 157
Petr Necas says feeding bees and wasps is totally OK. That being said I personally find a lot of the thinngs he says controversial. This right here is the exact reason i dont feed bees or wasps. I'm sorry i do not have any advice for you as this has never happened to any of the chameleoens ive ever owned. Is she acting normal still ?

Petr Necas says feeding bees and wasps is totally OK. That being said I personally find a lot of the thinngs he says controversial. This right here is the exact reason i dont feed bees or wasps. I'm sorry i do not have any advice for you as this has never happened to any of the chameleoens ive ever owned. Is she acting normal still ?
She is acting as if nothing happened. But that black spot concerns me

That is good news. I have seen plenty of videos of chameleons eating stinging insects and they definitely have a different approach to it then other insects, almost always a headshot with rapids headshakes. They also seem to eat stinging insects alot faster then say a cricket or a roach. Which im assuming means they are adapted to eat these "dangerous" insects.

Come on Clover, not a PN fan? Lol

I’m just playing with you, your entitled to your opinion. He certainly isn’t for everyone!

Come on Clover, not a PN fan? Lol

I’m just playing with you, your entitled to your opinion. He certainly isn’t for everyone!
Noooo no, its not that im not a fan he definitely has a lot of good information. Especially his field observations of natural behavior and habitat. Some of the things he says might not be the best information for newer or less experinced keepers. I also do not belive in a social hierarchy or "popularity contest" in chameleon keeping.

Noooo no, its not that im not a fan he definitely has a lot of good information. Especially his field observations of natural behavior and habitat. Some of the things he says might not be the best information for newer or less experinced keepers. I also do not belive in a social hierarchy or "popularity contest" in chameleon keeping.
Agreed, he definitely isn’t for inexperienced keepers!

I have a female that eats bumblebees like they are fine chocolates. Sure saves on adding bee pollen to her food! Well, at least until the weather gets too cold to find them anyway.
I totally agree that your cam should be fine, and I wouldn't treat the injury as anything out of the usual. Keep it under observation in case it gets worse and then might require further action, but surely wouldn't stress about it.

Why should it not be OK feedeing bees and wasps if this is what majority of chameleons are dokng for millions of years as a predominant source of their food?

That is good news. I have seen plenty of videos of chameleons eating stinging insects and they definitely have a different approach to it then other insects, almost always a headshot with rapids headshakes. They also seem to eat stinging insects alot faster then say a cricket or a roach. Which im assuming means they are adapted to eat these "dangerous" insects.
Kind of like when I eat hot peppers Lol

Why should it not be OK feedeing bees and wasps if this is what majority of chameleons are dokng for millions of years as a predominant source of their food?
Where in my quote do you see me saying it is not OK? I said the opposite that it is OK and that i personally dont go out of my way to feed wasps or bees. If one happens to get in the outdoor enclosures (which they very often do) they are snacks. I also keep smaller species like Bradypodion where you have to be careful for spider bites, so for these species i definitely dont feed wasps or bees purposley as we have some big nasty wasps here that would do some real damage to a little 7 gram B.Thamnobates.

Where in my quote do you see me saying it is not OK? I said the opposite that it is OK and that i personally dont go out of my way to feed wasps or bees. If one happens to get in the outdoor enclosures (which they very often do) they are snacks. I also keep smaller species like Bradypodion where you have to be careful for spider bites, so for these species i definitely dont feed wasps or bees purposley as we have some big nasty wasps here that would do some real damage to a little 7 gram B.Thamnobates.
Makes sense, Accept
My apologies, I misunderstood your comment

There are alot of keepers that free range their cham outside oand they eat random bugs....bees, wasps, crickets, locusts, katydids, snails, slugs.....etc..... and they are healthy as can be

Back
Top Bottom