Be prepared for winter weather!

TiyahLove

I know a lot of members on this forum are people that have recently gotten their first chameleon, and a lot have had chameleons for years. The weather hitting the east coast right now has inspired me to create this post to help those with new chameleons be prepared for the cold weather and power outages for a lot.

First of all water and heat are the essentials you need to make sure are provided throughout the cold weather. From personal experiences of having a well, many people with well water should prepare by getting multiple jugs of water, fill all dripper systems, and fill all of your misting bottles with water and frequently top these off with water as needed to ensure that you have water to last multiple days if you lose power.
If you are expecting a power outage or not make sure you have a back up method of heating. I have a generator thankfully or else my zoo would surely die, many don't so make sure you have a backup method for heat. Space heaters work well, but make sure they aren't radiating any harmful fumes.
Make sure your feeder insects are well taken care of and have plenty of water crystals and food to last them throughout the outage especially if you use fruits and vegetables because these may spoil throughout the outage or you can place these items outside in the snow in an airtight and water tight bag to keep them long enough until you can leave your house to retrieve more. If you use crickets make sure to stock up before the snow storm because you have no idea how long you may be snowed in for.

I can't stress enough how much water is needed, I repeat make sure all your droppers, misters, and extra water containers are filled up and frequently topped off. This is one of the essentials in your chameleons life and without it you can have an ill chameleon. Water is just as important as heat so make sure you always have a backup plan in case you lose power at your household.

Always prepare for the worst even if the worst doesn't happen because you never know and it is not worth the risk.

good idea!

So what about feeding? should you? seems like if things are colder, and on just keeping ambient temp not a lot of options on basking bulbs etc etc.. hydration seems the biggie, but feeding a cold reptile may be more harm than a short fast??

what is the thoughts on this??

I think it depends on how long the power is out for. I mentioned caring for your feeders above. If you are out of power for 2-3 days the chameleon should be fine without food, but make sure you supply water at all times. If it's more than 3 days you can decide at your own risk. There should be a couple factors that may make your decision harder or easier such as overall health, weight, the temp s/he is at, and how long they have gone without food.

The issue I was concerned with is power, and I don't have a generator. Don't have the money to get one either. I can't post the link, but there was a great YouTube video on how to heat a small space using a pan, terra cotta pots and tea light candles. However, if your like me, and it's mandatory you have to work (hospital) what do you do? Hand Warmers wrapped in thick towels in a cooler for a chameleon would help, just would have to monitor their temperatures. Also hydration if in that scenario, like using a syringe to drop water into their mouth.

Heat packs like the ones from the hospital would work perfectly. Place your chameleon in a styrofoam box with hand warmer or heat packs and 1 branch or plant. Monitor the temp constantly to make sure your Cham doesn't over heat. If you don't have a generator I suggest not misting you could chill your chameleon.

Back
Top Bottom