Bay Window Free Range

Thanks for taking the time to reply. To be sure, I have other reptiles, and am fully aware that they are not meant to be cuddly creatures. My more specific concern was about the reaction to even seeing a person in the room with him. Climbing away as fast as possible and falling off of limbs does not seem normal to me. Sure, unwanted handling is one thing, but you would think the little guy had been abused or something.
Veileds have a reputation for being mean, if you wanted a nicer cham, panthers are usually more tolerable of you

Thanks for all of the specifics on suggestions. Ill be sure to check it all out.
-The basking area normally sits at about 80.
-I will address the handling situation with Brody's post.
-I also have concerns about the window getting too cold, and have been sure to observe closely. I can't see any hints that he is trying to stay away from the windows to find warmth. In general, he actually hangs out closer to the windows.
The basking spot is too low, get a higher wattage so you can raise it up higher and heat the area to the proper temp. Read the veiled care sheet and fill out the ask for help form, please. My windows get too cold in winter and I have blackout and energy saving curtains over my windows in my cham room. Maybe move the free range set up to another spot where it stays warmer.

I certainly don't mean to sound like I am taking on a king of the industry. I would definitely be okay if he turned out to be one of the majority with not wanting to be handled. But it would also be nice to have struck gold and have one that does. From everything I have read, that happens through patience and daily handling. My question to FLChams would be that if I were to have bought and adult through them, would my expectations be that they would have never been handled? And therefore, the formative years to establish that sort of relationship would have been lost.

Yea I agree. That’s exactly why I have never wanted to purchase an adult. I want to raise them to trust me and enjoy being taken out of their enclosure, as well as ensuring they receive the best diet and environment during their crucial first year. I feel like there is just too much risk, but it’s just how I feel. Many here have received adults for a variety of reasons and had success with them.

Yea I agree. That’s exactly why I have never wanted to purchase an adult. I want to raise them to trust me and enjoy being taken out of their enclosure, as well as ensuring they receive the best diet and environment during their crucial first year. I feel like there is just too much risk, but it’s just how I feel. Many here have received adults for a variety of reasons and had success with them.
I actually got a retired breeder adult, so I wouldn’t have to worry about messing them up in that crucial first year! Since my first cham came to me as a baby with lots of problems, like parasites and mild MBD, which weren’t visible. And this was a trusted breeder who is a moderator on Facebook cham groups!

Ill see if I can't move it higher. I wanted to make sure it was low enough to get heat. To be fair though, this is the only time I had ever observed him touching the lamp. He was a little phone camera shy.
Yeah :/ i lost one of my first melleri in a bad burn experience so too my experience : never never trust your animal with this and act like if he is a highly acrobatic skilled 2y old kid with no thermoreceptor :) Here i let you a link from my freerange if you want some inspiration (notice this space is buld for melleri chameleon so for a veiled you mush need higher basking)

Yeah :/ i lost one of my first melleri in a bad burn experience so too my experience : never never trust your animal with this and act like if he is a highly acrobatic skilled 2y old kid with no thermoreceptor :) Here i let you a link from my freerange if you want some inspiration (notice this space is buld for melleri chameleon so for a veiled you mush need higher basking)

Wow, nice set up!

Back
Top Bottom