Basking tempratures for Oustalet chameleons???

martindean32

Hiya Ive got 2 Oustalet chameleons (both in seperate mesh vivs!!!) and am wondering what thier ideal basking tempratures should be??? At the mo the basking tempratures are between 96F and 98F but is that too hot???? Would you suggest that I lower them to about 90F??? Please help as thier is no information on the net about these beautiful chameleons!!!!!:eek::eek::confused:

i really dont know much about that kind of cham but the does sound kind of high up there in the temps.... i have veileds and i keep them at 80....if nobody else can is giving you answers read other threads for ppl that might have the same question. sorry im not much help here

That is really high. I've read they should be kept similarly to a veiled. If that's so, a female's highest temp. should be around 80. A male's should be around 85. You also want cooler temperatures for younger chams... so how old are yours?

I dont know thier age but they look about a year old!!!! What about low
90s??? Say 90F at the basking spot????:confused::confused::confused:

Ill put some pictures below:

15102010022.jpg
(this is my 1st Oustalet Chameleon which is brown in color when resting so I know its male!!!)

15102010021.jpg
(My 2nd Oustalet Chameleon which is more greenish in tone when resting so I dunno if its a male or female??)

So If anyone can help me with thier MAXIMUM basking tempratures as well as thier approximate ages and Sex I would be extremeley grateful!!!

Many Thanks

Martin Dean

Chameleon Info:

* Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
* Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
* Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
* Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
* Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
* Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
* History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:

* Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
* Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
* Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
* Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
* Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
* Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
* Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

i would suggest filling this out to the best of your ability to get the most accurate answers and advice about any problems you might have ... but in the meantime you should lower your temperature to 83 degrees to be on the safe side.

After searching on here I have come to two conclusions...

1. The basking temp should be in the low 80's see link

2. You have asked these questions before. When I did my search, I noticed several threads that you have started about your oustalets and these questions have all just about been answered.

The problem I have is that people have said I have 2 males but when resting one of my Oustalets goes to a greenish color and I know Green Oustalet chameleons are usually female so that is where im confused!!!!

By looking at these pics I would say you have a female there-she is certainly showing the female greens. My Oustalets always like to bask just a tad warmer than everyone else, so 92 is a good basking spot temp.

Me too!!! I let mine bask at 90ish also...as far as "the green one" that is a non-gravid female for sure!!! When she gets "knocked-up" she will turn brownish.

Back
Top Bottom