basking lights for baby chameleons

coastal_chameleon

Avid Member
I know this has been discussed many times , but can someone please send me an amazon link to the correct incondesant basking bulbs for babies . plssssssssssssss !!!!!!!!!

You need to figure out what bulb you need to get the hot spot no hotter than 78 degrees. The wattage will depend on your room temperature. I personally keep my reptile room at 75 degrees, for me a 40watt bulb 6” off the top of the enclosure gets me to 78 degrees.

panther chameleon ! up until how old will they need a basking light ?
I think California banned incandesant bulbs so I need to find them online ! so all incandesant bulbs give off heat ?

I know this has been discussed many times , but can someone please send me an amazon link to the correct incondesant basking bulbs for babies . plssssssssssssss !!!!!!!!!
It doesn't work that way. It's usually a matter of trial & error to get the appropriate wattage, distance, and angle for your particular setup. I started with a 40W, then 60W, then 75W, then 100W, then 75W halogen, which is perfect for my setup. What works for someone else may be completely different.

I would order one each of several wattages. Once you establish the one that works best for your enclosure, it should stay the same barring any major changes.

If you're in or near a city, there are usually specialized lighting stores that carry bulbs that big-box home improvement stores don't.

In California you my have to have an out of state friend order them and then ship them to you. Currently all I can find are the blue reptile bulbs and occasionally the 50 or 60 watt plant bulbs. Do not be fooled by the eco incandescent bulbs they are just LED equivalents and produce no heat. I was considering making a trip to Mexico eventually (post covid) but they banned incandescent as well.

Edit: blue bulbs are junk and have a very short life but are better than nothing short term.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom