Basking Light Brightness

Hi everyone. I just have a quick question about my basking light. So I quickly noticed that the basking temperature was getting way too hot for my male juvenile veiled and decided to switch it. I got a 60W replacement with a brightness of 800 lumens. Anyone know if this is too bright? It was very bright when I looked at it and I’m not really sure if anyone else uses these or has this problem. The basking temp is perfect now, but I’m a little bit worried about his eyes. Any suggestions? I’ll attach a picture of what I bought. Thanks!

Attachments

• 47361F80-EE2B-4C31-9475-9A73F9CE994D.jpeg
    47361F80-EE2B-4C31-9475-9A73F9CE994D.jpeg
    93.6 KB · Views: 61
  • 0E4EAB43-C033-4C2F-B951-198893E32A9C.jpeg
    0E4EAB43-C033-4C2F-B951-198893E32A9C.jpeg
    155.7 KB · Views: 72
Hi everyone. I just have a quick question about my basking light. So I quickly noticed that the basking temperature was getting way too hot for my male juvenile veiled and decided to switch it. I got a 60W replacement with a brightness of 800 lumens. Anyone know if this is too bright? It was very bright when I looked at it and I’m not really sure if anyone else uses these or has this problem. The basking temp is perfect now, but I’m a little bit worried about his eyes. Any suggestions? I’ll attach a picture of what I bought. Thanks!
It is fine... We use higher lumens with our 6500k T5 lights we use.

Double check your temps... You bought an LED bulb rather then a standard incandescent. While LED can still give off some heat they do not typically give off enough. Depends on what other lighting you have going on. :)

It is fine... We use higher lumens with our 6500k T5 lights we use.

Double check your temps... You bought an LED bulb rather then a standard incandescent. While LED can still give off some heat they do not typically give off enough. Depends on what other lighting you have going on. :)

thank you! Yes I think my temperature gauge was giving me an old measurement. The temperature was a little bit off. I’ll be exchanging it in an hour! Would you recommend a 60W for a standard incandescent? I’m not exactly sure what wattage other people are finding work best. Thanks for the help! :)

thank you! Yes I think my temperature gauge was giving me an old measurement. The temperature was a little bit off. I’ll be exchanging it in an hour! Would you recommend a 60W for a standard incandescent? I’m not exactly sure what wattage other people are finding work best. Thanks for the help! :)
So your wanting a temp of 80 degrees at the branch then where he rises into the heat it will be a few degrees warmer. Typically a 60 watt will achieve this. Just make sure the branch is not too close to the top. You do not want a thermal burn risk. :) I have a 9 inch drop to the branch from the screen and my fixtures are raised 2 inches off the top. I can get the temps needed with these distances and a 60 watt.

Thank you so much! This helps a lot. Currently buying the correct bulbs and ended up using the other ones to replace the ones in my apartment lol. I appreciate the help, sometimes doing the research doesn’t tell me everything I need to know!

Thank you so much! This helps a lot. Currently buying the correct bulbs and ended up using the other ones to replace the ones in my apartment lol. I appreciate the help, sometimes doing the research doesn’t tell me everything I need to know!
I totally get it. I spent so much money on so many incorrect things my first 6 months. It is all trial by error lol

Its not super easy to find incandescent bulbs like it used to be, I've found. Most have switched to LED, just careful if you but online.

yea, there was only one box left at the store of what I needed. On the bright side, it’s the perfect temp and I feel a lot better now. Thanks for the tip :)

@Beman Lol yes, I’m sure there are many more questions to come and a lot more money to be wasted 😂 especially since I plan on building an enclosure relatively soon and I am not the creative type at all. On the bright side, I am trying my best!!! I think that’s all we can do as owners :)

Would you recommend a 60W for a standard incandescent? I’m not exactly sure what wattage other people are finding work best. Thanks for the help! :)
I realize your problem is solved, but for others & future reference, there is no "one size fits all" wattage—or even a formula (well, there is, but things get complicated, so...)—for determining best wattage for an enclosure; there are too many variables (ambient temp, RH, distance from bask bulb to perch, flora... just to name a few).

IME (and that of many) it's always going to be a matter of trial & error—even when just replacing a bulb (again—variables). You can kind of ballpark it, but there are instances when/where a 60W was good before, but now you need a 75W (or v-v).

I've found it best to lay in a supply of different wattages, and start over whenever there's a bulb change.
HTH.

Back
Top Bottom