BASKING LAMP

Are you by any chance in high school? Are you lucky enough too have a shop teacher or class available. If so and wanted to build a large custom enclosure for cheap, Teachers love to hep kids learn. If you had such a person and shop I bet if you asked the teacher would be willing to help, even if you had to take the class.
Good idea, just don't screw around... ;)

The standard measurements and distance for basking is based on a 24 in bulb. But the distance from uvb will be same, but you will not have the spread and will want to be aware of this with a shorter bulb. Picture the light coming from the ends of the bulb in an oval. The ends do not produce nearly as much UVB. You will want to set it up such that it encourages her to spend time within the UVB bubble. In a 24x24 cage with 14in light you have 5in of over hang that wont get light.

Don't panic. If you set up correctly and make sure and stick to a good D3 regiment twice a month you will be ok. Just know you are operating on the edge of having enough UVB so pay close attention on where her time is spent, under UVB or Not so you can adjust if needed.

If I remember money was an issue so saying just buy another one doesn't help. You can make due for now just stay in touch on the forum so we can help until you can upgrade. As mentioned they grow fast so only spend money on you full size set up. There is no need for any juvenile enclosure more than what you have now.
Are you by any chance in high school? Are you lucky enough too have a shop teacher or class available. If so and wanted to build a large custom enclosure for cheap, Teachers love to hep kids learn. If you had such a person and shop I bet if you asked the teacher would be willing to help, even if you had to take the class.
Not in school but I planned on building a bigger one for sure, and I work a double tomorrow and worried about his heat lamp situation, I ordered a timer but won’t be here till Monday, will he be okay with no basking lamp on all day? His cage is in the window so he does get some heat and a lot of light but I know that’s not for the UVB but hopefully enough heat for the day

Not in school but I planned on building a bigger one for sure, and I work a double tomorrow and worried about his heat lamp situation, I ordered a timer but won’t be here till Monday, will he be okay with no basking lamp on all day? His cage is in the window so he does get some heat and a lot of light but I know that’s not for the UVB but hopefully enough heat for the day
Don’t worry about heat so much. They do just fine in cooler temps for short periods. Low 70 high 60s is no problem for a few days or so. We had power outage last year and 7 babies and 2 adults never got above 65 to 70 for 10 days. Not suggesting this but it gives an idea

Don’t worry about heat so much. They do just fine in cooler temps for short periods. Low 70 high 60s is no problem for a few days or so. We had power outage last year and 7 babies and 2 adults never got above 65 to 70 for 10 days. Not suggesting this but it gives an idea
Thank you so much! And I did invest in a misting machine would that work for the days I double? ,,, sorry I have so many questions, new baby cham and I wanna be a good dad lol

+1. I take my cues from climate & weather data in the region of Madagascar (Ambilobe) that my chameleon's ancestors originated from, and there are definitely hot days, cold days, dry periods, and rainy periods.

Gemeleon dude, the only concern I see is that direct sunlight through windows can sometimes heat things up a little too much. With sufficient ventilation, it shouldn't be a problem as long as your cham has shade to hide in.

....I did invest in a misting machine would that work for the days I double? ,,, sorry I have so many questions, new baby cham and I wanna be a good dad lol
In what way? If the mister has its own integral reservoir, it could be a problem; it depends on reservoir size and misting schedule. Systems like a MistKing don't supply a reservoir (to avoid shipping a bulky bucket) and you're free to add any size reservoir you like, which can last several days before refilling.

If you have a system with a limited reservoir, there are ways to economize on water. First, establish the length of a misting session. I ran mine manually until water just started running down the drain. Sessions any longer just waste water, IMO.

Then it depends on the # of misting sessions, which can depend partly on whether you use a dripper and/or fogger at night. I don't use either, so I mist more often (particularly at night) but still far enough apart that the enclosure can dry out completely between mistings. This helps prevent growth of molds, mildew, fungi, and bacteria.

Those who use foggers and/or drippers can mist fewer times. Lights-on and Lights-off are two nearly universal times. Some (like myself) mist at noon to provide midday drinking water.

Thank you so much! And I did invest in a misting machine would that work for the days I double? ,,, sorry I have so many questions, new baby cham and I wanna be a good dad lol
Not sure of the question, but a mister is a good investment. Like mentioned mistaking is best, but the others are fine and should easily last a day. Hydration is a big one so it is worth the investment.
My site www.caskabove.com has great beginners info and advice.

Not sure of the question, but a mister is a good investment. Like mentioned mistaking is best, but the others are fine and should easily last a day. Hydration is a big one so it is worth the investment.
My site www.caskabove.com has great beginners info and advice.
I have the mister set up to mist every 8 hours for 15 seconds and I have it to most on this dripping plant so it drips for periods of time.

I have the mister set up to mist every 8 hours for 15 seconds and I have it to most on this dripping plant so it drips for periods of time.
You want humidity at night, but it needs to dry out during the day. 2 longer periods of 3-5 minutes 1 in morning and one evening. Many take a minute or so before they drink.

okay thank you,, and how much would you say they drink, I turned on the mister this am and he went too it and got a drop of water off the leaf and left

Back
Top Bottom