Banded vs house crickets?

lynyrd cham

hey guys just wanted to know your thoughts and advice on banded crickets vs house crickets. I've never used banded crickets and have always used house crickets but the house crickets die on me rather quickly when I buy them in bulk from online vendors and I've heard that banded last a lot longer but they don't gutload very well and not as meaty as the house. Is this true? I just ordered 200 banded from ghanns and hope it's not a waste! Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

I made the switch to banded about 5 months ago. I wish I had done it sooner.

I order 1,000 at a time (from Josh's Frogs). I have never had even 1 die off. Not one.

They don't smell like the house crickets either...another plus. They're also more active.

Bandeds have more protein in them than house crickets. Also, they are easier to digest because they have a softer exoskeleton.

I think you'll be very happy with the switch.

I made the switch to banded about 5 months ago. I wish I had done it sooner.

I order 1,000 at a time (from Josh's Frogs). I have never had even 1 die off. Not one.

They don't smell like the house crickets either...another plus. They're also more active.

Bandeds have more protein in them than house crickets. Also, they are easier to digest because they have a softer exoskeleton.

I think you'll be very happy with the switch.
Awesome! I cannot stand the smell of the house crickets! It makes me nauseous every time I clean their container. Made the mistake of putting a screen top and kept them in my garage, long story short my wife wasn't happy lol. I was reading some stuff online and they were saying that the house crickets have way more protine by saying that house crickets are like eating a full meal and banded are like eating a small appetizer so that kind of worried me.

Banded crickets are smaller, they jump higher, I haven't noticed they being more difficult to gut load. The smell issue is from dead crickets. If you have a die off of either species they'll stink! I go back and forth depending on who has the healthier crickets. I would rather use the acheta domestic just because you pay by the cricket and they're larger.

I belive a lot of companies stopped carrying the "house crickets" do to a common parasites outbreak that was accoring with the main suppliers. I read this on I think Einstein cricket farm I believe was the name and I believe LLL posted something similar when they first started carrying the bandeds

In my opinion the banded crickets live much longer and hardier if you're planning on keeping them for a while. Though my experience may have been based off sick crickets.

Banded are much much much much hardier IME... i've kept both. The bandeds gutload great, they do jump annoyingly high and seem to be quicker. I also noticed the bandeds barely move during the day compared to the house crickets, but at night they're crazy. Ghanns is definitely not a waste you'll be happy. I like them better for cup feeding(they'll stay in during the day and jump out at night), but i'd prefer house crickets for free roaming, they seem to move around and be a better chase for the chameleon.

Back
Top Bottom