Ball Python won’t eat...

Kali11

Established Member
My ball python has not ate in over a month. I know they go through cycles where they won’t eat, but this is the longest she’s ever went.

I’ve had her since 2011. I haven’t changed anything in her enclosure. She’s about 10 years old give or take. She is a rescue from someone that wasn’t taking care of her.

Any advice on what I should do? I’ve scoured the internet to avail. I’ve gotten amazing advice on how to take care of my Cham properly, so I’m hoping someone here can help me out with her.

Thank you!!

I’ll reach out to my buddy who keeps and breeds and will let you know what I find out. I’ve had experience with my ball going over a month without eating though. How big was her last meal? It’s pretty typical in my experience but I am by no means a snake expert. I’ll let you know what I can find out.

Would be good to know before reaching out to him.

How is her behavior? Is she fussy? Mellow when handling?
What does she typically eat? And how often? Thawed frozen or live feed?

I wouldn’t be super concerned as a month is not very long for a hunger strike in snakes. I’ve seen/heard them going on multiple month long ones. It may be worth taking her to a vet if you are noticing drastic weight changes.

Last edited:
I breed balls as well as chameleons. I have 34 in my collection. The longest one of mine went without eating was about 8 months.
Balls are tricky sometimes but as long as they have good girth and are at a healthy weight prior to a food strike I wouldn't worry too much.

What do you feed her?
If you feed frozen try switching to live. It often gives a better feeding response. You can also try a smaller rodent. Sometimes that helps.

Thank y’all for the replies. She eats live. Her last meal was a medium rat. She’s not fussy. She’s still calm and cool as always. It just had me worried because she’s never went that long before. She usually eats about every 2 weeks. When she was younger she would eat once a week. She’s doesn’t seem skinny. I’ll add a pic of her. Let me know what y’all think.

8 months is a long time :oops: I wouldbe freaking out. Lol.

Attachments

• F26DE41D-1369-40CC-9637-1AF5BD2684CD.jpeg
    F26DE41D-1369-40CC-9637-1AF5BD2684CD.jpeg
    254.9 KB · Views: 107
She looks like a healthy girl. I wouldn't worry to much. I'd mark it on the calendar when she ate last and keep track of her feeding.

I think for good health and security they need a place to be out of sight "a hide" in the viv

I think for good health and security they need a place to be out of sight "a hide" in the viv

True. Ball pythons live underground in burrows from other animals. I use a rack system, which is already like a hide. The only thing is if you've had the snake for 10 years she is probably used to her surroundings and changing it up may stress her out.

Back
Top Bottom