Baking soda for removing pesticides/cleaning

jamest0o0

Chameleon Enthusiast
I read that in a few tests, baking soda was actually the best at removing some of the main pesticides on fruits/vegetables. I wonder if this is the same for other things like plants. It would make a simple and safe cleaner.

I always thought pesticides etc were water based, and the best way to get rid of them is, warm water. If you look up how to clean store bought non organic fruits and veg, its all the same, use a warm water soak.

Baking soda is an "alkaline cleaner" so that means it will also "strip wax and fats". That might not be a good thing for a live plant. Honestly at this point i just use beer brewing santizers. Its edible, doesnt kill yeast, doesnt affect flavor of plants, and can be left to dry on for on going protection from mold/virus.

https://www.consumerreports.org/pesticides-herbicides/easy-way-to-remove-pesticides/

I saw a similar article as this(saying the same thing basically).

If they were all water based, they wouldn't hold up that well in the rain, no?

They are water based, they are not oil or alcohol based. Maybe they are like "salts" and once the water dries, its harder to wash off with cold water? And fruits at least are coated with a think layer of wax stuff, to prevent rotting etc, its not a pesticide and is edible. But if you want to remove it, it comes off with warm water.

Like i said, your method may work great. It may break down any residue much faster vs warm water. My main concern is its ability to remove/damage the protective layer on the leaves. In the "food" case, you will be eating it within the week else it goes rotten. In the plant case, you want it to live forever.

You could always just get a "stunt" plant, and wash it with soda once a week or something, and see if it stays good.

PS: if your experiment works, maybe we can use it to remove the white residue from the leaves from all the hard water spots from our misters :)

They are water based, they are not oil or alcohol based. Maybe they are like "salts" and once the water dries, its harder to wash off with cold water? And fruits at least are coated with a think layer of wax stuff, to prevent rotting etc, its not a pesticide and is edible. But if you want to remove it, it comes off with warm water.

Like i said, your method may work great. It may break down any residue much faster vs warm water. My main concern is its ability to remove/damage the protective layer on the leaves. In the "food" case, you will be eating it within the week else it goes rotten. In the plant case, you want it to live forever.

You could always just get a "stunt" plant, and wash it with soda once a week or something, and see if it stays good.

That all makes sense, I agree with you on stripping the plants as well. I wouldn't say it's my method, I just came across this the other day. I just do it for fruits/veggies before using. I read the same as you're saying, that they should only be cleaned before use, otherwise they grow bacteria and rot much faster.

Back
Top Bottom