Bad shed veiled chameleon

Ashley1983

my 6 month old male veiled has has to bad sheds in 3 weeks. I have plenty of vines and greenery for him to rub against. The shed seems stuck . I had tried misting more and even tried putting him in a container with a little warm water for 30 minutes. He has been dark for several weeks and has lost his beautiful green color. He is only vibrant when sleeping. Is there anything I can do to help him? Or is this something that resolves itself? Here is an picture of the cage. This photo is before his first bad shed, but you can see the cage.

Attachments

• 4D276B95-FA59-46B0-B6C4-361F58F44AFF.jpeg
    4D276B95-FA59-46B0-B6C4-361F58F44AFF.jpeg
    366.7 KB · Views: 170
Please fill out the sticky at the top that says "how to ask for help".... and dont put a chameleon in warm water....

Please fill out the sticky at the top that says "how to ask for help".... and dont put a chameleon in warm water....
May I ask why you can’t put them in warm water? The vet told me to put him in a little water that was the same temp as his cage.

Well warm to us, is much too hot for chameleons. If it feels warm to our touch that means it's in the 90s at least. Chameleons body temp is based on their surroundings and that would overheat them.

And to add to that, you shouldn't soak them in water at all. People use the shower method for added hydration or long misting times. Shedding problems are due to poor husbandry and nutrition. According to petr necas, we should actually lower watering during shed times. It makes sense when you think about it, water glues the shed skin to them, dry air makes skin crack and break off.

Well warm to us, is much too hot for chameleons. If it feels warm to our touch that means it's in the 90s at least. Chameleons body temp is based on their surroundings and that would overheat them.

And to add to that, you shouldn't soak them in water at all. People use the shower method for added hydration or long misting times. Shedding problems are due to poor husbandry and nutrition. According to petr necas, we should actually lower watering during shed times. It makes sense when you think about it, water glues the shed skin to them, dry air makes skin crack and break off.
Okay. That makes a lot of sense. His cage is very clean so I know it’s not the husbandry. Perhaps I’m not feeding him enough variety. I have tried worms, kale, apples and fruit flies. He hates them all. He only eats crickets. Perhaps there is more I could try.

Okay. That makes a lot of sense. His cage is very clean so I know it’s not the husbandry. Perhaps I’m not feeding him enough variety. I have tried worms, kale, apples and fruit flies. He hates them all. He only eats crickets. Perhaps there is more I could try.
Husbandry is a lot more than cleanliness. Please fill out the help form.

Husbandry is a lot more than cleanliness. Please fill out the help form.
I have tried several times to fill out the form and my phone will not allow me to copy and paste.

So, he is 6 months old. He’s been in my care since February. When I received home from Florida he was around 3 months old. His tail was broken. He is still unable to use it, but has adapted well to it. He is in an exo terra glass terrarium. He has a misting system that sprays every 2 hrs. For 1 minute. He eats calcium dusted fresh crickets that I purchase every 2 to 3 days. He can eat up to 20 to 25 in a day.They are dusted with fluckers vitamin D powder. He is handled twice a week for about 15 minutes. His cage is cleaned once a month if not sooner depending on how it looks.when cleaning I replace the substrate which is like a fine mulch. He is eating , drinking and pooping normally. His cage stays around 90 degrees at the very top which he never stays. Humidity stays at 30 to 40 percent.

We have another Chameleon we got at the same time. Same exact set up , same feeding routine, there have been no issues.

From being on here a month...all the established members say that glass enclosures offer poor ventilation and goes stagnant air which can lead to respiratory infection...but I’m new and no expert...just repeating what I’ve read dozens of times...good luck :)

Also when you have a health issue they want you to feel out that form and also post in health clinic thread...I’m just trying to help...again I’m new too(y)

From being on here a month...all the established members say that glass enclosures offer poor ventilation and goes stagnant air which can lead to respiratory infection...but I’m new and no expert...just repeating what I’ve read dozens of times...good luck :)
Absolutely not an accurate statement. Glass enclosures from both Exo Terra, and more rescently Zoo Med can offer appropriate ventilation when set up properly. You must be referring to using glass aquariums. Aquariums are for fish, nothing else. It has been well documented and proven that the previously noted glass terrariums can in fact work better than the all screen cages most commonly used. If you are in a low humidity climate, or colder area of the country, glass is the best option. If you are lucky enough to live where it is warm and humid, screen cages outdoors may be the best bet. Using a blanket statement saying glass cages are bad is false.

Good to know, I guess I understood wrong, I did however make sure to mention I was new ...leaving one to look for better advice...but I do appreciate you correcting me, I hope you have a nice day...

Last edited:
Good to know, I guess I understood wrong, I did however make sure to mention I was new ...leaving one to look for better advice...but I do appreciate you correcting me, I hope you have a nice day...
Sorry that may have come across a little aggressive. It’s just frustrating to see newer keepers are still being told that myth.

Sorry that may have come across a little aggressive. It’s just frustrating to see newer keepers are still being told that myth.
No that’s fine, yes I was told over and over that they were “not the best thing” or “ screened is the way to go” and all the other stuff too. No big deal...I appreciate the information (y) I learned something. It’s all good!

Thanks for clarifying... really though I appreciate the info. Honestly...man this is ALOT to understand and I’m second guessing myself. I’m currently trying to figure out if I should remove the pothos plant from my enclosure because my little guy has taken to eating it on the daily...and I’m being told that’s not good, this after being told this was a great plant to put in there and on the “safe list” ...I bought the plant after printing out the forums safe list and going to two different stores to find one plant that would work. Lol!!!

Thanks for clarifying... really though I appreciate the info. Honestly...man this is ALOT to understand and I’m second guessing myself. I’m currently trying to figure out if I should remove the pothos plant from my enclosure because my little guy has taken to eating it on the daily...and I’m being told that’s not good, this after being told this was a great plant to put in there and on the “safe list” ...I bought the plant after printing out the forums safe list and going to two different stores to find one plant that would work. Lol!!!
It may be on a safe plant list, there are many different types of pathos (make sure you have the safe one), but it is also mildly poisonous and to watch out on chewing leaves too often. (this is what i found from an external website when looking for plants). https://flchams.com/chameleon-safe-plant-list/ I would check here for safe plants.

my 6 month old male veiled has has to bad sheds in 3 weeks. I have plenty of vines and greenery for him to rub against. The shed seems stuck . I had tried misting more and even tried putting him in a container with a little warm water for 30 minutes. He has been dark for several weeks and has lost his beautiful green color. He is only vibrant when sleeping. Is there anything I can do to help him? Or is this something that resolves itself? Here is an picture of the cage. This photo is before his first bad shed, but you can see the cage.
Could he be upset about something in the enclosure? changes in color can often be a reflection of a chameleons stress levels. maybe add some more greenery? (just a suggestion that has helped with some of my chameleons.)
Also, whenever my chats go into shed I just up the misting and humidity levels and that seems to help them shed. (it is also what the breeder I purchased from suggested doing. He had one of the chaos for about 2 years before i purchased him)

It may be on a safe plant list, there are many different types of pathos (make sure you have the safe one), but it is also mildly poisonous and to watch out on chewing leaves too often. (this is what i found from an external website when looking for plants). https://flchams.com/chameleon-safe-plant-list/ I would check here for safe plants.
Thanks so much (and that’s where I got my little guy from too) yes I was sure to get the golden pathos...but I see it says not to be ingested often, I may just get a hibiscus, because he’s going to eat what’s there, he’s a muncher. Thanks again for your advice and time (y)

Back
Top Bottom