Backgrounds and Sides Screen Vivariums??

dmrich

Hello All,

Looking for some ideas from you and what you all use for Backgrounds/Sides for the larger screen vivariums. I want something that is practical, looks good (ideally natural looking) and that is not too expensive. I like the natural cork bark panels but the commercially available cork reptile backgrounds are often not large enough and are so expensive. If I was to use it for my 5/6 larger screen vivs it would cost a fortune (£££$$$:eek:) to cover just the background in each - let alone the sides as well....I am sure there is another way of doing it cheaper??

I have the Exo Terra Polystyrene Backgrounds in my small vivariums and have tried the compressed cork panels boards in the larger vivariums but these seem to crumble, split and break when cut to fit.

Therefore looking for some inspiration and would love to hear everyone's tips and what they use for their screen vivariums particularly if anyone makes anything themselves? Would be great to see some pictures ...(y)

I don't put backing in my enclosure I like the look of backing just don't like how chameleon dinner hides behind it I use fish take backing and the put plants on in side and it cheep

I added corrugated plastic board covered in vinyl on the sides and back of mine. The panels are on the outside of the screen.

Here is a picture of one.
0B0016C9-8EED-4B11-A1C2-B0022777C0FA_zpsekhlqpov.jpg

This pic was before i covered the outside of the panel. You could cover the inward facing side with any color vinyl or print. Real tree camo print vinyl would also look good.

Hello All,

Looking for some ideas from you and what you all use for Backgrounds/Sides for the larger screen vivariums. I want something that is practical, looks good (ideally natural looking) and that is not too expensive. I like the natural cork bark panels but the commercially available cork reptile backgrounds are often not large enough and are so expensive. If I was to use it for my 5/6 larger screen vivs it would cost a fortune (£££$$$:eek:) to cover just the background in each - let alone the sides as well....I am sure there is another way of doing it cheaper??

I have the Exo Terra Polystyrene Backgrounds in my small vivariums and have tried the compressed cork panels boards in the larger vivariums but these seem to crumble, split and break when cut to fit.

Therefore looking for some inspiration and would love to hear everyone's tips and what they use for their screen vivariums particularly if anyone makes anything themselves? Would be great to see some pictures ...(y)
Unless you need to block the cham's view of something there isn't a real need to cover the sides with something opaque. If you need to hold in warmth, humidity, or protect furniture or walls from spray, you can use neatly trimmed clear vinyl or sheet plastic for that. In my own opinion I prefer creating a "cage scape" with large bushy foliage, and really using all the space the cage interior offers instead of background structure that doesn't really do much for the cham. the cage frame itself sort of disappears if you can see through it.

Years ago I had an architectural blueprint company print and laminate some very large blowups of rainforest habitat photos for a cage, but it was quite expensive. I don't recall where I got the images...somewhere on the web.

If your looking for the natural look a lot of folks make a background using Great stuff as a base, and adding vines, plants, and moss. If you use the search I'm sure you would see several examples.

Hi thanks for all of the messages. I do need something to prevent neighbouring cages from seeing each other (currently cardboard that doesn't look great), but also stopping water spray escaping the cage is another good reason. Thinking of perhaps covering the corrugated plastic panels with a spray foam and branches etc so that the chameleons can still use it and it looks more natural?

Back
Top Bottom