Back-Spikes

Vinyonga

You know those spikes along a chameleon's back? I was wondering if they stayed in the same position from birth until death? Or can they change when the chameleon moults etc?

Depends on what you mean. They will get bigger as the chameleon grows and may change in color. If they are falling off or getting smaller when he sheds then there is something wrong. If this is the case, the two common causes, are some type of infection and getting burned from the basking light. Are you concerned about something? If so, post a picture.

Thanks! No, I'm not concerned about anything. I was just wondering because there are lots of chameleons in my garden and I like to give them names and tell each one apart. And just yesterday I found one which looked VERY similar to another, apart from the spikes on his back were slightly different, so that's why I was wondering :p I haven't seen him for a while, so he could have had time to moult, if that would change anything.

Thanks! No, I'm not concerned about anything. I was just wondering because there are lots of chameleons in my garden and I like to give them names and tell each one apart. And just yesterday I found one which looked VERY similar to another, apart from the spikes on his back were slightly different, so that's why I was wondering [emoji14] I haven't seen him for a while, so he could have had time to moult, if that would change anything.
Aw I wish I had chameleons in my garden. That's so cool! What kind are they?

Back
Top Bottom