Back legs paralysis, any person with experience?

Mawtyplant

Chameleon Enthusiast
Hello all! I got here a veiled adult chameleon (with old mbd and probably lack of calcium for his entire life..) with a progressive back legs paralysis (it started with the tail, the the legs, not sure if he can poop) Front legs are ok but a bit weak too my impression.. i dont think this result from spinal cord injury but probably more from an infection of because of the mbd (he had a clear respiratory infection, now treated with baytril.. good response to the treatment). It probably can be impaction too but without xray, only guessing

My question : is someone here experienced a recovery from backlegs paralysis or its alway fatal? (probably a pinched nerve or spinal cord inflammation)

SO! before anyone panicking and yale after me to go to the vet :

-This is not my chameleon, so useless to be rude with me of to yale "bring him to the vet.. he was to the vet and prognosis was pretty bad"
-Hes on medication but vet told there is roughly nothing (medication was because respiratory infection symptoms.. so baytril) (i suggested metacam after because back leg paralysis, and possible pain.. so hes on metacam too)
-this boys probably got MBD, he have a past of rehoming on kijiji and haven't any calcium supplement dont know about the uvb but i guess probaby not enough,
-since he is no my chameleon.. i will not fill the how to ask for help form.. because i know 1% of the answer and i dont look to improve my husbandry
-The boys is at my home because i got the equipement to keep him safe and i got the skill to provide him the adequate medication and to provide him food and water i said yes to care of him but i will not pay for xray of any treatment (might look rude.. but i got 20 chameleons here to care and i can't spend my money on every single neglect chameleon in town.. im gonna end up really poor and im gonna end neglecting my own chameleon ;) )

Here a picture of him you can the the lower back is darker and the back shape look L shaped tail still functionning a little bit but legs are roughly unresponsive you can also see lumps between hips and the tail.

Thank for your experienced about this kind of case

-

Hello all! I got here a veiled adult chameleon (with old mbd and probably lack of calcium for his entire life..) with a progressive back legs paralysis (it started with the tail, the the legs, not sure if he can poop) Front legs are ok but a bit weak too my impression.. i dont think this result from spinal cord injury but probably more from an infection of because of the mbd (he had a clear respiratory infection, now treated with baytril.. good response to the treatment). It probably can be impaction too but without xray, only guessing

My question : is someone here experienced a recovery from backlegs paralysis or its alway fatal? (probably a pinched nerve or spinal cord inflammation)

-This is not my chameleon, so useless to be rude with me of to yale "bring him to the vet.. he was to the vet and prognosis was pretty bad"
-Hes on medication but vet told there is roughly nothing (medication was because respiratory infection symptoms.. so baytril) (i suggested metacam after because back leg paralysis, and possible pain.. so hes on metacam too)
-this boys probably got MBD, he have a past of rehoming on kijiji and haven't any calcium supplement dont know about the uvb but i guess probaby not enough,
-since he is no my chameleon.. i will not fill the how to ask for help form.. because i know 1% of the answer and i dont look to improve my husbandry
-The boys is at my home because i got the equipement to keep him safe and i got the skill to provide him the adequate medication and to provide him food and water i said yes to care of him but i will not pay for xray of any treatment (might look rude.. but i got 20 chameleons here to care and i can't spend my money on every single neglect chameleon in town.. im gonna end up really poor and im gonna end neglecting my own chameleon ;) )

Here a picture of him you can the the lower back is darker and the back shape look L shaped tail still functionning a little bit but legs are roughly unresponsive you can also see lumps between hips and the tail.

View attachment 232381

-

Not always fatal depending on the cause. Did the Vet find any tumors? If it's a tumor that's removable then the problem can be solved. I've personally never heard of a case where the cham comes back from this without a medical procedure being done, i.e if it was MBD or a pinched nerve the cham usually died shortly after... :'(

Not always fatal depending on the cause. Did the Vet find any tumors? If it's a tumor that's removable then the problem can be solved. I've personally never heard of a case where the cham comes back from this without a medical procedure being done, i.e if it was MBD or a pinched nerve the cham usually died shortly after... :'(
Thanks! he didnt check for tumor :/ he dont look like i think its more mbd issue
Crap.. well, i will continue with the meds + calcium + anti-inflammatory i will give up when he will

View attachment 232381

-
https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/how-to-ask-for-help.66/

If you could try and fill this out . Be as precise as possible . It’s helpful to other to help you best . Best of luck .

Hi Mawtyplant, I just took a look at the pic...and I notice his eyes is a bit sunken...he looks dehyrated..could it be the baytril(Enrofloxacin)medication is tough on his kidney n needs more hydration??
Hi, yep he is, (not because of the eyes but more because of the skin textur) im providing water but i need to do it carefully and slowly because of the RI (so this is better than day 1, but still work to do)

Hi, yep he is, (not because of the eyes but more because of the skin textur) im providing water but i need to do it carefully and slowly because of the RI (so this is better than day 1, but still work to do)
Another words his skin is a bit wrinkle ...have u try slowly increase his basking temp..since It will help speed up the Recovery on the R.I

Hi Kristen please read this .. :)
Thank you! ;) i also add thank if he recover he will not stay at my home since i know two things he didn't have any single grams of extra
Another words his skin is a bit wrinkle ...have u try slowly increase his basking temp..since It will help speed up the Recovery on the R.I
yep RI almost gone in fact, no more bubbles no more gasping and light mucous :) today he accepted 2 silkworm, paralysis is really my major concern.. never deal with this before:/ (well one time but case was hopeless and so worst with no medication so he died quick)

Thank you! ;) i also add thank if he recover he will not stay at my home since i know two things he didn't have any single grams of extra

yep RI almost gone in fact, no more bubbles no more gasping and light mucous :) today he accepted 2 silkworm, paralysis is really my major concern.. never deal with this before:/ (well one time but case was hopeless and so worst with no medication so he died quick)
What was the dosage n duration on the baytril if u dont mind I ask?
Btw u are a very nice person who took him in so please dont feel bad if thing goes sour with the veiled which I felt the same way with this paralysis situation...
But look at the bright side you are doing the right thing with his R.I situation n he ate two silkies from u today :)

Btw this is what I know with the paralysis situation.
If u do the aggressive treatment with anti-inflammatories, injectable calcium, vitamin D3, a hormone called calcitonin-salmon and support care, combined with physical therapy, may result in a partial return to function.
But Without the necessary lighting, vitamins and minerals n also the baytril tough on the kidney, your veiled’s bony skeleton may weaken over time. Because of the weight being supported by the vertebral column, the spine may buckle, resulting in the spinal cord being compressed and damaged, resulting in paralysis of the hind legs and tail.

Btw this is what I know with the paralysis situation.
If u do the aggressive treatment with anti-inflammatories, injectable calcium, vitamin D3, a hormone called calcitonin-salmon and support care, combined with physical therapy, may result in a partial return to function.
But Without the necessary lighting, vitamins and minerals n also the baytril tough on the kidney, your veiled’s bony skeleton may weaken over time. Because of the weight being supported by the vertebral column, the spine may buckle, resulting in the spinal cord being compressed and damaged, resulting in paralysis of the hind legs and tail.
Thanks! humm except the calcitonin and physical therapy its all good (also started to got some real sunlight.. i guess this is his first contact with the sun! any idea where i can find some.. exercises for him? i think the spine already buckle
thanks for the tip! thats a good start! (not super positive but still! :) )

Thanks! humm except the calcitonin and physical therapy its all good (also started to got some real sunlight.. i guess this is his first contact with the sun! any idea where i can find some.. exercises for him? i think the spine already buckle
thanks for the tip! thats a good start! (not super positive but still! :) )
No worry wait for mine ;) then u be the judge...

U in Canada right?

Free range with indoor trees or try build a jungle gym for him...he definitely needs exercise if u know what I mean..
Ahhhh! Ok! Yeah I already got a freerange (but since there melleri here I think I should make a second one) If he can walk again the have a 6 foot just for him

Ahhhh! Ok! Yeah I already got a freerange (but since there melleri here I think I should make a second one) If he can walk again the have a 6 foot just for him
Good thinking there...did u fall asleep on our convo last night:LOL:
I'm going back to sleep now....we will chat later

Back
Top Bottom