Back at it...

snipeusa14

Established Member
Wel after a few years of getting rid of my old chameleons I missed them too much and bought a 3-4 Month old ambilobe Panther named gizmo from flchams!

Now here's my question,iv never had a baby chameleon always had juvi/adult..being a baby what would be an ideal setup/live plant that I can fit in his medium repribreeze cage?

For now this is his current setup,this weekend I'll go about and buy a live plant and remodel his cage.

As for lightning I still remember all the right bulbs and temperatures 5.0uvb and a 50w basking bulb

d85b2587e022fb89029d2cf91159f40e.jpg
c15733c2e400d6bded521f6a95958ce3.jpg

Is that a rope? Or is it bendable? How does it hold up against all the water? I'd love that for my outdoor enclosure? The wood branches rot so quickly outside.

In my medium reptibreeze I just used one large pothos. I hung it from a wooden dowel across the top of the enclosure. Within a couple weeks it filled the enclosure, I even trimmed it a few times.

Is that a rope? Or is it bendable? How does it hold up against all the water? I'd love that for my outdoor enclosure? The wood branches rot so quickly outside.

In my medium reptibreeze I just used one large pothos. I hung it from a wooden dowel across the top of the enclosure. Within a couple weeks it filled the enclosure, I even trimmed it a few times.

Yes it is rope xD I used it on my old enclosures a few years ago when I had my other chameleons,care to share a picture of how you hung the pothos? I feel like the weight of the plant will break the cage

I was just looking to see if I had a picture that would show it but I don't. It's lights out in his room and I don't want to wake him. I will take a picture in the morning. Super easy.

Yes it is rope xD I used it on my old enclosures a few years ago when I had my other chameleons,care to share a picture of how you hung the pothos? I feel like the weight of the plant will break the cage

Make a brace across the top of the cage and suspend the pot from that instead of the mesh.

Ok, I found a couple that kind of show it. I'll take better pictures in the morning.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 171
I'm using wooden dowels as well. The pot also has rocks on top and inside. Hanging on 40 lb test fishing line.

Here's how the whole enclosure looks with one plant. This is a 16x16x30. I just trimmed the plant because it was covering his basking spots.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 162
So pothos it is,rocks over the soil,what's a good base plant to but on the bottom of the cage? A small one?

What I did with my Pothos, is I actually created a "perch" so to speak in the upper right corner of the cage with branches. So mine doesn't hang, instead the pot is nestled tightly between the two branches, works like a charm. I did this because I was concerned about the weight of it slowly caving in the screen on the top.

So pothos it is,rocks over the soil,what's a good base plant to but on the bottom of the cage? A small one?

Umbrella plants are a favorite. They absorb moisture well and provide excellent shady areas and hiding spots for your Chameleon.

Umbrella plants are a favorite. They absorb moisture well and provide excellent shady areas and hiding spots for your Chameleon.

Now I know you have to be careful with plants because of pesticides,is it best to repot the plant in organic soil? Most likely going to get my plants from my local Home Depot

Now I know you have to be careful with plants because of pesticides,is it best to repot the plant in organic soil? Most likely going to get my plants from my local Home Depot

Yep. I always buy my plants, and give them a "bath" with soap water. I take them out of their current pot, shake off all the dirt attached to the roots, then I dip the plant upside down in a 5 gallon bucket containing soap water. I take a small towel and scrub and dry the plant leaves, then repot it in organic soil. Don't forget to add large rocks (big enough so your chameleon can't swallow them) to the top of the soil to prevent any accidental ingestion of soil.

Last edited:
I can't believe I've never thought of putting in a rope before. Either you are a genius or I'm a big dummy. I'm on my way to Home Depot right now!! Thank you for sharing your pics.

Back
Top Bottom