baby wont eat!!!

eliotiguana

Hello,

OK, I have had other reptiles in the past, but I just recently decided to start with chamelons.
I just purchased a baby veiled chameleon on saturday at the Pensacola Expo in Florida.
He is about 2 inch long from tip of the nose to end of the tail. I have a real vanilla plant that I placed in his enclosure. I figured he would enjoy the all the vines. I also have the right UVB lamp and heat lamp. At night the temperature is in the 70's and reach 80's during the day.
I put pinhead size crickets in his cage as soon as we got home.
Today is monday, and he still has not eaten anything. So, I went ahead and ordered some wingless fruit flies online. I shoud get them wednesday.
I'm just getting worried, I don't want him to die.
Do you guys think he is still getting use to his surrounding? should I feed him some king of vegetables? and is the vanilla plant a good idea?

Thank you everyone!

COngrats on the new baby!
It can take chams several days to get acclimated, and the same amount of time for them to eat.
Just make sure you provide him with food for when hes ready to eat, and that he gets misted several times a day. He will eventually eat (barring any medical issue)
as for the vanilla plant, I dont think its on the safe plant list.
You can find the list on here, click resources I think.
I would suggest a pothos or scheffelara whcih has broader leaves to catch water on, and since its a veiled, they love to munch plants.

Good luck!

awesome ok thank you!
I actually have a pothos and I just switched plants! I hope he likes this one too. At least I know he wont get sick in case he decides to much on it. Should I give him any kind of collard greens or something?

awesome ok thank you!
I actually have a pothos and I just switched plants! I hope he likes this one too. At least I know he wont get sick in case he decides to much on it. Should I give him any kind of collard greens or something?

You can try if you want. I also heard they like strawberries and bell peppers.

My Veiled LOVES Dandelion Leaves and collard greens, he will also some times take strawberries, and bannanas. but he is especially addicted to dandelion leaves. I get them at any of my grocery stores here in California. Some times rarely he will eat snow pea pods and shredded carrot. but usually those are for the crickets.

2" from tip to tip? Hope you got a great deal because that was really too soon to be sold. That's almost right out of the egg.

Biggest tip I can give you is to avoid messing with your new baby as much as possible. Do one last husbandry check to make sure your plant, branches, lighting etc are correct and then put him on a schedule of regular feeding and watering and put your lights on a timer so he/she can predict everything after learning the schedule, and then hands off for a couple of weeks until your lizard eats and poops regularly for a while so you can observe what is normal.

The more you mess with your baby, the longer it will take to start feeling comfortable enough to feed...

ok thank you. I figurered he was really young. I didn't have time to ask the dude how old he was. Big mistake. Because he is so tiny I don't mess with him. I should get fruit flies in the mail tomorow, I just hope he will eat some.
He walks around alot in his enclosure, like he's looking for food or something, but he's totally ignoring the crikets :(
I also have an automatic mister at my other place, I will get it on thursday. That way he can be misted with water even when I'm gone:p

Back
Top Bottom