Baby Veiled

MIGhunter

After redoing our setup and letting it run for a little while, my son is ready to get another cham. So, we are probably going to get one of the premium babies from flchams. My son is scared so I just wanted to check with you guys. Babies (listed at 2-3 months on their site), how are you feeding them? Bowl with superworms? Crickets, free roaming or in a small container? We just want to make sure this one is eating appropriately.

It you are not experienced with chameleons, I recommend an older chameleon. Babies are fragile and harder to keep alive. Sometimes big breeder’s babies appear even smaller than normal. To answer your question, I would recommend free ranging small crickets and cup feed small worms. You can also place worms on the screen and let them crawl up the screen. Chameleons like that, too.

ya, we're looking at either the baby or the juveneiles at flchams. Obviously, we'd like the younger one for bonding, etc but the last one we got came from petsmart. It was supposedly 3 months old. It didn't make it a full week. I have another post about it on here. Everyone pretty much said it was most likely dead before we bought it from petsmart... Anyway, we were hoping buying from a breeder that it might be a little more resiliant. Basically, the main issue is the feeding. The cage I feel is pretty good. We have a super light with 3 6500k bulbs and a uv light from lightyourreptiles.com. I'm using a 100 watt red bulb for heat (already had it, probably swap to a normal incandecent when it burns out.) Have a hibiscus and 2 other real plants with branches. Plants have been repoted with organic soil and covered with rocks so the cham can't eat it. Rock are all a good size so he can't eat those either. Monsoon mister set up to mist for 2 minutes every 4 hours starting at 7 am, then not at all from 7 pm till morning. So, as long as we know it's eating, I think the baby should be fine.

20180906_073550.jpg

Ask the breeder how he is currently feeding him.

At that age I’m usually transitioning from cup to free range but given your previous experience I’d say still go with the cup so you can monitor his intake. I’d also throw 2-3 crickets into the cage so he can start learning to hunt.

Back
Top Bottom