Baby veiled sleeping all day?

I just misted him and tried feeding him a super dusted cricket, but I could barely get him to open his eyes and when he did he was more concerned with climbing away so he could sleep. Any advice on getting him to eat/keep his eyes open?

I soak the whole cage so it's completely dripping. But probably not for more than a minute or two. I'll try longer.

Thanks!

Maybe you can stop by WalMart or something and buy a pump sprayer.

I have one of these:
qaOSMnxhB8No2nJUXdgMbMjVeF2a1Vet3DmP298eEYBLJ2uoax6GuLpXZVTdlKhooIBMFYHG-JM8tkjL6fgQxmLAmt3VkGD3lbrRRnU1UEfEbpXF6VPv4kZ7wC7_pMwxFbMV7qNi2upftugWHngTtML4vLAMIlTI7tJMOEzQYnL2

It makes the whole "misting" thing less wrist/hand intensive. I have carpal tunnel issue so can't do the hand pump thing for more than about 10 seconds.

You get them in the garden section.

I love mine....It's close to the best $15 I've ever spent (I say that allowing for the idea that in the 80's I might have spent $15 on something I really enjoyed but am unable to remember)

Hey, in the 80s, $15 could buy you some amazing experiences. (hint: if you tell anyone in the room that you understand Roger Dean, that was a good use of $15)

Hahaha nice.

Hey I misted Roger for 5 minutes today and then held him in my hand and dripped warm water on him. He still wouldn't open his eyes so I put him back on a branch and he's been rubbing his eyes on the branch for a few minutes. Why is he doing that? :( and does anyone know how I can get him to open his eyes so that I can feed him?

You can force feed him if you have to. While closed eyes is a general sign of discomfort/illness it might actually indicate some problem with his eyes. Did you get the less powerful UVB bulb? I really think the 10.0 is too powerful for most situations. I know you said the guy at the store always uses them, but it's possible his enclosures block the transmission more.

Alright I'll probably have to do that. His belly seems kind of plump though, and the last time he at was a couple days ago and I haven't seen him drink at all.

I got the exact same cage as the guy in the store uses for all of his chameleons too so I don't know :(

I don't know either, but almost everyone on this board uses the 5.0. I know that some people with black mesh cages use the 10.0 and some people with really large enclosures use the 10.0, but otherwise, it's the 5.0.

It seems worth a try, anyway.

Yeah mine is black mesh and the guy said that because of that some of the uvb doesn't make it through or whatever. Roger still hasn't opened his eyes today, earlier when I first turned his light on they were open so maybe it his the 10uvb light that's bothering him. I'm going to go get the 5uvb light today and see if that helps.

I just took him out and tried to feed him some dusted mealworms. He wouldn't open his eyes so I tried to just push them against his lips but he kind of freaked out cause the mealworms were grabbing him a little. Should I try to pull his mouth open and stick them in? He seems way to fragile to do that :(

He finally took interest in the meal worms and snagged one with his tongue. He chewed on it for a while but it was too big for him to eat so he had to drop it :( he got a bunch of the vitamins off it though so maybe that will help

Yeah mine is black mesh and the guy said that because of that some of the uvb doesn't make it through or whatever. Roger still hasn't opened his eyes today, earlier when I first turned his light on they were open so maybe it his the 10uvb light that's bothering him. I'm going to go get the 5uvb light today and see if that helps.

The one thing you haven't changed yet is the light and he's still keeping his eyes shut. Get the 5.0. If this isn't the problem the light change won't hurt him, but if it is, you just solved the problem. I've always used 5.0s on all my chams (even using a Reptarium with the dark mesh) and haven't seen any deficiency problems from lack of UV. Effects of UV are cumulative anyway, so if the cage setup, daily light cycle, gutloading and dusting is correct the 5.0 will work.

Alright thanks! I'll definitely go today and get one then. I've tried keeping his uvb off for an hour and then on for an hour and he's had his eyes open more today so that's probably the problem.

Should I bring Roger with me to the store when I go so that they can look at him and tell me what they think? or should i just leave him in his cage and not stress him out?

Should I bring Roger with me to the store when I go so that they can look at him and tell me what they think? or should i just leave him in his cage and not stress him out?

Leave him home. The light will either make a difference or it won't. I don't think the store staff will be able to help really.

It's definitely the light, I left it off for an hour or so and just checked on him and he's on the other side of his cage walking around with his eyes open :D

Back
Top Bottom