Baby veiled... not doing good

@chameleonneeds I agree with pretty much everything you post, but I'm not sure wet/cool temperatures would cause an RI. Usually the stagnant air mixed with heat causes bacterial growth. A correct bio set up would also reduce this risk greatly. Some of my enclosures stay wet a good amount of the time and especially overnight. Maybe their is poor air circulation. What I would do if I used glass(I even do it for my solid side dragonstrand), put a computer fan at the bottom and have it turn on every hour or two for a few minutes.

I've only had to deal with respiratory infections 3 times in my chameleon keeping and all I did to correct it was reduce moisture that would not dry throughout the day - ontop of a needed antibiotics course. So I'm no expert on the matter but I go off of what I've read and experienced with my own and others chameleons. This is my go to article for people wondering about respiratory infections where I got my info from http://chamworld.blogspot.com/2008/01/upper-respiratory-infection-warning.html?m=1 and in that article the writer mentions cold temperatures with either too wet or too dry conditions. I guess I could do a lot more research on the matter. But I 100% agree with you that heat and stagnant moisture would be the perfect breeding ground for bacteria.

And you are by far the expert on the bioactive setups so it's always good to have your opinion in threads where people have attempted such a setup.

Sadly I have to report that Slappy just passed away. As soon as I saw her gaping I ran a hot shower and got her into some steam..... and she passed away within 5 minutes. I am heartbroken that something I did wrong killed that little girl.

Eventually we’d like to get another one but I want to make sure that the habitat is 110% correct. Chameleons are just amazing...but I just can’t get another one if we’re not taking care of it correctly. Any advice would be completely appreciated.

Very sorry that she eventually died. It's very easy to have something go wrong with chameleons. But keep doing your research and find out from experts in your country what they do that works for them. Don't ask a pet shop - they will tell you anything is good for a chameleon just to push products onto you. Miss Lilly on this forum is from the UK with quite a bit of experience with veileds and other species. You could maybe get in contact with her.

Update: Slappy is still alive. Will be heading to the vet this afternoon. She has her eyes open this morning and is actually up on a branch! Personally I think her color looks much better. She’s gaping occasionally, so respiratory issue must be it. Hopefully the vet can do something! Thank you everyone so much for your advice!

The cage is wet because I tried to get some extra water in for her yesterday..... usually it’s pretty dry. Normal set up is about 1 minute 4x a day. She also runs away from the mister.... which is where the dripper comes in. I’m leaving the cage doors open while I’m around to help alleviate excess moisture. I’m going to remove the sporgam moss to help alleviate moisture.

We did a lot of research before deciding on a planted glass cage. We chose to do glass for safety reasons.... we also have cats and a 6 year old little boy in the house. We plan on switching to an all screen enclosure when she got bigger. A lot of Cham owners in the UK and across the country use glass terrariums very successfully. We make sure to drain any extra water ever other day. Usually there’s less than 1/4 in down in the clay ball drainage area. I’m still a newbie with lots to learn.... I appreciate everything. I hope to be a much better Cham Momma.

Good news for the vet, i already mention the strong possibility of respiratory infection, vet gonna probably try medication (probably baytril of fortaz) for the whole treatment time, be sure to :

-reduce humidity during the day and to increase is during the night,

-raise the temperature during the day too (this help with RI healing)

-stop any supplementation (antibiotic are hard on the body so try to avoid antibiotic + synthetic vitamins)

-try to feed him with insect like silkworm (silkworm are the natural source of serapeptase (this is an enzyme in their that act as a natural anti-inflammatory and pain-reliever. so this is gonna help him x1000) you can actually buy serapeptase, personally i've use it in the past with chameleon with RI or parasitic infection and it help a lot!

-focus on hydratation (antibiotic are hard on kidney, + if you raise the heat he will need more water, try to provide him lot of water, this is a key for a good recovery)

-be patient (chameleon can take time to get back)

-be ready.. (he is really young so i dont know how he can hold antibacterial treatment..)

-keep us uptaded! ;)

@chameleonneeds I agree with pretty much everything you post, but I'm not sure wet/cool temperatures would cause an RI. Usually the stagnant air mixed with heat causes bacterial growth. A correct bio set up would also reduce this risk greatly. Some of my enclosures stay wet a good amount of the time and especially overnight. Maybe their is poor air circulation. What I would do if I used glass(I even do it for my solid side dragonstrand), put a computer fan at the bottom and have it turn on every hour or two for a few minutes.

Correct, Wet+cold no problem here but Hot+wet = explosive mix in the lung term (haha! lung term.. sorry.. morning brain)
Chameleonneeds, can i pm you im curious about your bioactive cages!

@chameleonneeds I wouldn't call myself an expert lol. I've learned from much more knowledgeable people than myself. Just a big part of focus for me in this hobby is the enclosure/plants/substrate. And I came from a reef aquarium background so the idea of a self sustaining ecosystem appealed to me.

I am sorry for your loss unfortunately a lot of pet stores while the chameleon looks good when you purchase it quickly goes down hill once you bring them home even with the correct husbandry. When you decide the time is right look into a good and reputable breeder.

below is a picture of a female Cham that I got from PetSmart that passed away with in a week of getting her. I took her too the vet 2 times and spent well over 600 trying to save her but to no avail. Also attached is a photo of my current veiled who is very healthy and from CB reptiles. I have had him for 5 months with no issues. he is just getting over a shed.

fullsizeoutput_48f.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0334.JPG
    IMG_0334.JPG
    128.8 KB · Views: 180
View attachment 207740 View attachment 207739 View attachment 207737 I have a baby veiled...around 2 months old is my guess. We bought him from a local pet store, not a chain store. Always been super friendly, our kids love him! We have an eco terra glass vivarium, planted. We use the mist king and a dripper because he’s not a fan of being misted. He gets crickets, dubias, and a selection of worms. Right now it’s butter worms. He gets hornworms when we can find them small enough, he’s had Phoenix worms. And an occasional wax worm. He was eating fine two days ago and drinking too. Last night I noticed he was lethargic and a little weak. This morning he’s worse. He barely opens his eyes, refuses to eat or drink, and fell of his branch once.
There’s no mucus around his nose or mouth. Urea was nice and white..
I’ve dripped water down his nose and he just lays there with his eyes closed. Did a nice warm shower with him as well...didn’t drink.
I read about a pedialite bath... that will be next.
I was a bad Cham buyer- I didn’t check with our local vets to see who I could take him to before we bought him. Now I’m scrambling trying to find someone in the area....

What can I do while I try to get him into a vet???
Please help and thank you!!

I’ve included pictures of him from this morning... and his cage set up.
if available purchase some electrolyte powder or liquid and try to get some in the lil dude:( eyes are affected by dehydration. make sure you up your misting as much as possible

if available purchase some electrolyte powder or liquid and try to get some in the lil dude:( eyes are affected by dehydration. make sure you up your misting as much as possible
omg im so sorry for your loss. i should have read the whole thread...:( rip lil dude:unsure:

@Hockey&Lizards I am so sorry for your loss :( It's really hard when they go down so quick. You did your best to aid her before her appointment and was willing to get her to a vet and that means a lot. If or when you plan your next chameleon, feel free to post cage pictures and fill out another form about your husbandry. I'm sure members would be happy to give input on your set up and prep. Rest in peace little Slappy

Back
Top Bottom