baby veiled.....kinda need help

dmaizer

Avid Member
Hi its been a little over a year since i've had or taken care of a chameleon. i've had him for about 3 days and i still have a lot of knowledge abotut the care but needs to be refreshed.

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - 2-3 month baby veiled, i have had him for 3 days
Handling - NEVER
Feeding -i haven't tried feeding him because his new to the house
Supplements - i have the supplements not used yet
Watering - light to heavy misting from the top of the cage causing a rain like affect. and no i have not seen him drink cause of the fact i haven't been bugging to much
Fecal Description - haven't seen any yet.
History - i got him from petland i felt bad he was in a wrong cage ect....

Cage Info:
Cage Type - mesh cage ,22 gallon Reptarium
Lighting - 18inch rept-sun 5.0, and 25 watt standard house light. 8 am - 8 pm is that ok?
Temperature - 75-77 f, I'm using a digital thermometer night temps fall to 68-69
Humidity - 55-65
Plants - yes one live plant, and ALOTS of fake plants
Placement - Where is your cage located? on top a table. Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? no fans or vents, and low traffic.
Location - Where are you geographically located? Chicago

Current Problem - since i have gotten him his been kinda on the dark side ans i know that means his stressed. but today his started sleeping during the day and i know that is not a good sign. NEED HELP

25 watt basking probably not enough. IMO you need to get your temps up under the basking light. IMO you will have better results with a 60 watt or maybe even 75 (I'm using 75 over my newborn veileds right now).

The question form should really have size on there and not just age. Size is more important- lately a lot of people are thinking they have 2 month old veileds and when they post a picture the chameleon is still tiny for that age and looks more like 2 week old. Don't know if that is the case with yours or not, but if it is still very small, skipping a few days meals and supplements is a much bigger deal and would cause him to start sleeping during the day. Try to get the temps up, plenty of water with cage drying out between mistings, and offer food and get him feeding as soon as possible.

Hi its been a little over a year since i've had or taken care of a chameleon. i've had him for about 3 days and i still have a lot of knowledge abotut the care but needs to be refreshed.

Chameleon Info:
Handling - NEVER
Watering - light to heavy misting from the top of the cage causing a rain like affect. and no i have not seen him drink cause of the fact i haven't been bugging to much

Cage Info:
Lighting - 18inch rept-sun 5.0, and 25 watt standard house light. 8 am - 8 pm is that ok?
Temperature - 75-77 f, I'm using a digital thermometer night temps fall to 68-69
Humidity - 55-65
Placement - Where is your cage located? on top a table. Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? no fans or vents, and low traffic.

Current Problem - since i have gotten him his been kinda on the dark side ans i know that means his stressed. but today his started sleeping during the day and i know that is not a good sign. NEED HELP

Hes a baby he needs to eat !!! He is also dark which is because the temps are way too low. He needs a basking spot of about 85 - 90 as a baby.

ok im going to switch the the 25 watt to a 60 watt asap. i will try to feed him tomorrow. also ill post pics. thanks for the help

25 watt basking probably not enough. IMO you need to get your temps up under the basking light. IMO you will have better results with a 60 watt or maybe even 75 (I'm using 75 over my newborn veileds right now).

The question form should really have size on there and not just age. Size is more important- lately a lot of people are thinking they have 2 month old veileds and when they post a picture the chameleon is still tiny for that age and looks more like 2 week old. Don't know if that is the case with yours or not, but if it is still very small, skipping a few days meals and supplements is a much bigger deal and would cause him to start sleeping during the day. Try to get the temps up, plenty of water with cage drying out between mistings, and offer food and get him feeding as soon as possible.

yea im not sure if he's a runt but ill post pics up while hes on a measuring stick or something

I just want to point out that jannb is an established, experienced breeder of super healthy babies (at least based on the photos and videos and comments here) so her guidelines are probably going to lead you to a healthy environment for your chameleon.

so i switched out the 15 watt to a 75 watt and the temp is reading at 91.2 i think thats a little to high??

so i switched out the 15 watt to a 75 watt and the temp is reading at 91.2 i think thats a little to high??

That's high for an adult.......I suggest maximum low 80's for basking as a baby, up to 88ish for an adult male. Have you fed him yet? Get small crickets and fruit flies....they should eat every day. Here is another very good caresheet with all the basic info you need - https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/chameleonsinmyhouse/395-veiled-chameleon-care-sheet.html

ended up putting a dish with 7 small mealworms, he ate 3 and hasnt touched any more. and i also saw him drink today. im probelm is he is sleeping 2 hours before the lights go off and he is still dark, but earlier today he looked green for a little bit. idk what to do

Last edited:
ended up putting a dish with 7 small mealworms, he ate 3 and hasnt touched any more. and i also saw him drink today. im probelm is he is sleeping 2 hours before the lights go off and he is still dark, but earlier today he looked green for a little bit. idk what to do

Is he sleeping, or just in his sleeping spot?

Make sure you keep up the variety with your feeders as well...

They do tend to stay darker when they're younger, so if he's eating, pooping, drinking, doesnt sleep during the day and doesnt look deformed - you should be okay.

You probably want to keep mealworms as a treat, not a staple, just an FYI....they often "get ready for bed" quite a bit before lights out.

As Short Stack says, if he's eating, drinking, pooping, not deformed and not closing his eyes during the day, that's all good.

Chameleon Info:
Handling - NEVER

Cage Info:
Humidity - 55-65

GET RID of the fake plants the chameleon likes to eat real plants not plastic

Veiled chams need veggies and/or fruit in their diet.

They love greens like kale and mustard, also Romain, and if they lake them in their diet, they will start chewing on your fake plants.

If he is hand feeding, buy some green (no spinach) at the store, wash a piece off, and break it into pieces and offer it to him.
If he is not hand feeding, but the pieces into a cup in plain view for him to find.

Also, if you have switched from a 25 to a 60W bulb, BE SURE to lower the basking branch or he may get burns on his spine while basking.

Do you have a good digital thermometer (not a laser one) with a probe on a wire?
If not, get one and place the probe where he like to bask and position it so it's about level with his spine, maybe a few inches above the branch.

He will also look for 'cool zones' inside the cage after basking, so it's very important to provide a temp gradient, with lots of branches, so he can go to the spot where he likes the temp best.

Am I Doing Everything Right?

I have a Veiled Chameleon but Im not sure how old he is... I got him from Petsmart and his name is Victor.

Experience - New to Chameleons but very experienced with pets.

Cage Size - Its a Zoo Med ReptiBreeze Open Air Screen Cage, 8 x 18 x 36-Inches.

Lighting - I have a Basking/UVA bulb and a UVB bulb on one of those two in one lamp things.

Humidity - I mist the cage a few times a day and I bought a fogger that didn't work.

Live Plants - Ive got a pretty good lookin Yucca plant.

Food - Crickets and Super Worms.

Water - I mist the cage, I have a homemade dripper that kinda works, and one of those waterfalls.

Handling - I try not to at all yet cause he's pretty new but like Ive had to move him a few times and he dosnt seem scared at all.

I'm just afraid Im doing something wrong and I really don't wanna... I love him...

Back
Top Bottom