Baby Veiled Gender?

Chamenic

I very recently purchased my first veiled after months of research but i still don't have a very trained eye with gender identification. I'm 90% sure that its a girl, due to lack of spurs and a seemingly smaller, rounded crest. My picture is not very good but i was wondering if anyone had any idea? Also if anybody has any beginner tips they'd be very appreciated. Thanks everyone!

Attachments

• image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    110.9 KB · Views: 278
Welcome Titan. Hard to tell without a good picture of the back of its feet. Crest size at that age won't tell you much.The spur will be very tiny at that age so you have to look close. Congratulations on your new baby.

Last edited:
Welcome Titan. Hard to tell without a good picture of the back of its feet. Crest size at that age won't tell you much.The spur will be very tiny at that age so you have to look close. Congratulations on your new baby.
Thanks for the reply and warm welcome! I got some new pictures just now, still a little unclear but if you spot anything let me know.

Attachments

• FD410ACA-5950-4103-B67B-953477DF688F.jpeg
    FD410ACA-5950-4103-B67B-953477DF688F.jpeg
    141.9 KB · Views: 289
Can you please post a picture of the enclosure you're keeping her in? I can already see a couple of things that need changing

Can you please post a picture of the enclosure you're keeping her in? I can already see a couple of things that need changing
I have a mesh enclosure with a golden pothos, a palm, and a schefflera. 75 watt basking bulb, 5.0 reptisun uvb, holding 75 degrees, maintaining 50% humidity and 75% after misting.

Attachments

• 99154AE1-4E29-439E-B07C-6A0BEAF31B9E.jpeg
    99154AE1-4E29-439E-B07C-6A0BEAF31B9E.jpeg
    444.5 KB · Views: 247
I have a mesh enclosure with a golden pothos, a palm, and a schefflera. 75 watt basking bulb, 5.0 reptisun uvb, holding 75 degrees, maintaining 50% humidity and 75% after misting.
She’s eating 4-5 crickets a day and drinking, poop looks good and I can’t see any signs of bad health.

For starters...needs mote greenery up high...more branches...lots more...4-5 crickets is not near enough for a baby veiled. Needs more than just crickets too. I will let the experts take over from here.

There are a lot of changes you need to make to the enclosure. Where have you been doing your research? With months of research under your belt, I am surprised that you thought this was a good starting place. The cage needs way, way more foliage. This is how your chameleon will be able to feel safe. As it is now, she has next to no where to hide outside of the bottom half of the cage -- the half which she should be spending next to no time at all in. Chameleons are arboreal lizards, so they need to be up high to feel comfortable. The way it is set up right now, she can barely perch halfway up the height of the cage. Because of this, she not only will feel vulnerable/stressed, but she can't get even close to the basking spot to actually warm herself. You need to add multiple horizontal branches/vines/walkways for her in the upper part of her cage so she can bask and get close enough to her UVB.

Speaking of UVB, get rid of that compact bulb you're using. She needs a linear UVB like a reptisun 5.0.

Also, she looks extremely young. Probably so young, she shouldn't have been sold. 4-5 crickets a day is not even half of what you should be feeding her at her age.

Please fill out the "how to ask for help" form in the Health Forum section of the website. It would be helpful to know how else you are keeping her. My guess is there are other changes that need to be made, too.

There are a lot of changes you need to make to the enclosure. Where have you been doing your research? With months of research under your belt, I am surprised that you thought this was a good starting place. The cage needs way, way more foliage. This is how your chameleon will be able to feel safe. As it is now, she has next to no where to hide outside of the bottom half of the cage -- the half which she should be spending next to no time at all in. Chameleons are arboreal lizards, so they need to be up high to feel comfortable. The way it is set up right now, she can barely perch halfway up the height of the cage. Because of this, she not only will feel vulnerable/stressed, but she can't get even close to the basking spot to actually warm herself. You need to add multiple horizontal branches/vines/walkways for her in the upper part of her cage so she can bask and get close enough to her UVB.

Speaking of UVB, get rid of that compact bulb you're using. She needs a linear UVB like a reptisun 5.0.

Also, she looks extremely young. Probably so young, she shouldn't have been sold. 4-5 crickets a day is not even half of what you should be feeding her at her age.

Please fill out the "how to ask for help" form in the Health Forum section of the website. It would be helpful to know how else you are keeping her. My guess is there are other changes that need to be made, too.
Ok good to know, I will go out and buy some more stuff for her. Thank you for the input. She is very young, I’m estimating a month give or take. I was initially going to buy from FLChams but I seen her in petco and I didn’t like the conditions they had her in, how much would you recommend feeding and how often?

Although buying her from petco may have seemed like a good idea, it will probably cause you a lot of difficulties because they don't know how to care for chameleons. Just be prepared to have to deal with the remnants of their mistakes. She needs to be fed every single day as much as she will eat in a reasonable amount of time. At minimum, 10-12 appropriately sized feeders a day. Please fill out the form below in full:

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - Female Veiled, approx a month old. In my care for 3 days.
  • Handling - Only handled when being put in cage, or when enclosure is being remodeled.
  • Feeding - Only Crickets, 4-5 every morning. Store bought crickets gut-loaded with vegetables.
  • Supplements - Repti-Calcium w/o D3 everyday, Repti-Calcium with D3 2-3 times a month, Zoo-med reptivite 2 times a month.
  • Watering - Misting and Reptifogger. Misting 3 times a day for 3 minutes a piece. I have seen her drinking.
  • Fecal Description - Dark brown, solid poop with white discharge. Not tested for parasites, but store bought.
  • History - Previous information is pretty slim, store workers were pretty clueless.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Screen cage, 16inX16inX30in, only until the cham grows a little more.
  • Lighting - Reptisun 5.0 UVB 13 watt, 75 watt basking bulb. On 6:30 am, off 6:30 pm.
  • Temperature - approx 60 to 80, lowest night time temp is 60. Standard thermometer + hydrometer, waiting on a digital thermometer.
  • Humidity - Maintaining 40%, 75-85% after misting. 2 sides covered with plastic, live plants, and repti-fogger. Standard hydrometer.
  • Plants - Golden pothos, a palm, and a schefflera.
  • Placement - Cage is in my bedroom, near my window (always closed). About 6-7 feet from my radiator. the top of the cage is a little more than 4 feet from the ground.
  • Location - Ventnor, New jersey.

Although buying her from petco may have seemed like a good idea, it will probably cause you a lot of difficulties because they don't know how to care for chameleons. Just be prepared to have to deal with the remnants of their mistakes. She needs to be fed every single day as much as she will eat in a reasonable amount of time. At minimum, 10-12 appropriately sized feeders a day. Please fill out the form below in full:

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.
Any changes, fixes, or tips you can offer me are very valued.

I tried to shuffle around and raise the plants as best as I could at the moment. Raised the basking spot and moved the fake plant as well. Not too much better but I’m trying my best with what I have at the moment.

Attachments

• 6089DD2F-5930-477F-9BFB-0ED1C877247E.jpeg
    6089DD2F-5930-477F-9BFB-0ED1C877247E.jpeg
    392.7 KB · Views: 237
Overall, your husbandry looks pretty good. Just make sure to replace your UVB with the linear kind, increase feeding, and keep working to improve the inside arrangement! I think you're on the track

NewChameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - Female Veiled, approx a month old. In my care for 3 days.
  • Handling - Only handled when being put in cage, or when enclosure is being remodeled.
  • Feeding - Only Crickets, 4-5 every morning. Store bought crickets gut-loaded with vegetables. At that age she should be eating as many appropriate sized crickets as she will take in a minute or two at each feeding. You can also give her fruit fljes.
  • Supplements - Repti-Calcium w/o D3 everyday, Repti-Calcium with D3 2-3 times a month, Zoo-med reptivite 2 times a month.
  • Watering - Misting and Reptifogger. Misting 3 times a day for 3 minutes a piece. I have seen her drinking. When she's a bit bigger I would set up a dripper too.
  • Fecal Description - Dark brown, solid poop with white discharge. Not tested for parasites, but store bought.
  • History - Previous information is pretty slim, store workers were pretty clueless.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Screen cage, 16inX16inX30in, only until the cham grows a little more.
  • Lighting - Reptisun 5.0 UVB 13 watt, 75 watt basking bulb. On 6:30 am, off 6:30 pm.
  • Temperature - approx 60 to 80, lowest night time temp is 60. Standard thermometer + hydrometer, waiting on a digital thermometer.
  • Humidity - Maintaining 40%, 75-85% after misting. 2 sides covered with plastic, live plants, and repti-fogger. Standard hydrometer.
  • Plants - Golden pothos, a palm, and a schefflera.
  • Placement - Cage is in my bedroom, near my window (always closed). About 6-7 feet from my radiator. the top of the cage is a little more than 4 feet from the ground. I would move the cage away from the window.
  • Location - Ventnor, New jersey.
Because it's a female once it's sexually mature you will want to be careful about overfeeding it all the time...it makes them produce large clutches and can lead to MBD, prolapses, egg binding. Female veileds can produce eggs without being mated and need an egglaying bin in their cage once they get their big girl colors so they have a place to dig to shove you they need to lay eggs. Don't let them see you watching them while they are digging. I know I'm telling you this early but that way it doesn't get missed.

Back
Top Bottom