Baby veiled chameleon

LaurenD

Hi I’m new to this forum looking for some advice. I have been looking to get a veiled chameleon for a while now, a male has became available from a local small pet shop who ordered him in from a breeder for me, but he is only 8/9 weeks! Would yous recommend I wait to get one that is around the 3/4 month mark?
I have my enclosure, lights plants etc all ready.
Thank you

Attachments

• 0B9F59B8-9D73-4A88-AED9-93C9F0907EA2.jpeg
    0B9F59B8-9D73-4A88-AED9-93C9F0907EA2.jpeg
    110.1 KB · Views: 116
  • BD8D0CFB-3AE7-4FF3-83A5-39E15FC2B87D.jpeg
    BD8D0CFB-3AE7-4FF3-83A5-39E15FC2B87D.jpeg
    107 KB · Views: 119
Hi I’m new to this forum looking for some advice. I have been looking to get a veiled chameleon for a while now, a male has became available from a local small pet shop who ordered him in from a breeder for me, but he is only 8/9 weeks! Would yous recommend I wait to get one that is around the 3/4 month mark?
I have my enclosure, lights plants etc all ready.
Thank you
Welcome. Do you have more pics of him? I do not like the way his tail base looks in that image or the way he is pulling his back end in....

First cham I would recommend 3-4 month old baby.

what a precious baby..does he seem healthy and active? , has he been kept in the right environment and fed and hydrated correctly....

Ohhh you gotta go see him....you will know. you can keep an eye on him if you are unsure... I'm Leary on the shipping they don't do well this time of year shipped.

He only arrived at the pet shop from the breeder yesterday & I seen him for 5 minutes today & from what I seen he was active, the pet shop want to keep him for a few days to make sure he’s eating/drinking well before I take him home. He was in a good set up too!

Ok I would not buy this baby. Something is not right at all... I have added arrows to what I am seeing that is not normal. He has a lump under the skin on the back leg... Multiple lumps under the skin on the tail. And see the way he is angling his bottom... That is not normal either...

View attachment 292279View attachment 292280
I absolutely agree with this! This baby looks like he has some issues. I would search for a healthy baby elsewhere. I would not want to start off with these issues, and especially with his back end dipped in like that.

Yeah my partner also thought something looked wrong with his tail but thought we would ask people that know what they are talking about! I think we will just hang off to find a healthier one. Thanks for your help
Ok I would not buy this baby. Something is not right at all... I have added arrows to what I am seeing that is not normal. He has a lump under the skin on the back leg... Multiple lumps under the skin on the tail. And see the way he is angling his bottom... That is not normal either...

Yeah my partner also thought something looked wrong with his tail but thought we would ask people that know what they are talking about! I think we will just hang off to find a healthier one. Thanks for your help
The last thing you want is an unhealthy baby especially if this is your first chameleon. It is stressful enough when your a new keeper without adding in medical issues and the vet bills to go with it.

Yeah we are definitely gonna hold off, thank you for your help
Here is a Breeder selling veileds on the forum check him out Marks chameleons- you can use the search bar on this site and it should take you to him-

Attachments

• DF95B941-9670-4DC2-9EB6-191C6871317A.png
    DF95B941-9670-4DC2-9EB6-191C6871317A.png
    217 KB · Views: 80
I know we said not to get him( and I still wouldn’t) but I would want to just to save him! Poor little guy
We can not save them all. It is hard enough for experienced keepers to take on rehabs but for a New keeper that has never had a cham I would not recommend this. When you do not know what is normal and what is abnormal behavior or even the way their body is formed it makes it even more difficult.

@LaurenD So you would be looking to get a baby that is 3-4 months old we do not recommend younger then this age... This is a great resource for accurate cham husbandry https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-husbandry-program-getting-started-with-chameleons/

There are a few online breeders that I would avoid all together. So if you find one use the search function in the forum to make sure there are not any threads posting negative stuff about them.

Is there a reason your leaning towards getting a Veiled for your first one? Panthers are very similar in care requirements and typically are more friendly than a Veiled.

Back
Top Bottom