baby pardalis (nosy mitsio) with 'horn'

Sorry, thought you were asking for one. But, do you agree that's what Maykal meant the relationships are?

Oh wait, I took it as the F2 father is also the father of the dam that produced the horned baby. The tree is more of a stump.

sorry, the tree is not correct,

the father(mads) from "horny" was f1, the mother(henka),from horny ,is a daughter from (mads) x cbfemale. this cbfemale was a daughter from mads x wc female, mads was a male out of 2 wc animals wich wore only used as parents from mads in this project.

hope it makes it clear now

and i am very exited too!
will keep on posting pictures!

Sounds to me as this isn't an inbred chameleon from the way he's explaining it. This is very very interesting. I wonder if this fella will produce offspring with a horn??? Very cool indeed!

That is so cute! I really have nothing intelligent to say on the subject because I have no idea what it is. I know snakes have "egg teeth" that fall off when they're a few days old or something like that, but this looks like nothing even close to that... get more pics of him as he grows up.

Too incredibly cool...........

It does look like a human nose to me.......Creepy but very very cool. I think it is a gene message gone awry. I had a long conversation with my vet last week about genetics and reptiles. My vet likes to get into some really interesting subjects relating to the animals and reptiles he treats. He has his own little continuing education program going on. He was telling me that they have identified several primative genes that are found in all current life forms (humans, mammals, birds, reptiles, etc.). These genes have been around since life started on Earth. These shared primative genes direct the formation of limbs, eyes, noses/nostrils, etc. All life forms with "eyes" share the same gene for eyebud formation. All life forms share a gene for limb formation. This shared gene has a different blueprint for each species that directs it to form in a certain way. There is a gene for tails too. Humans have the gene but it is "turned off" or directed not to form. It makes sense that sometimes these shared primative genes go awry and weird things happen. Like humans with tails, or cats with webbed feet, or panther chameleons with "noses". This subject intrigued me. I'm getting the following book that the vet told me about:

http://books.google.com/books?id=CnnGKjzw3xMC&dq="evo+devo"

It's all about this primative shared gene thing. Check it out if you are into that kind of info. Very cool cham. Thanks for sharing it with us :)

Very interesing...

I am interested to see what this develops into. Is there any chance that one of the chams in his bloodline history were housed with a trioceros species at some point and could have crossed or something? What is the age, and can you tell it it is male or female yet? It would be interesting to know if pardalis originally had a horn and lost it over time. Does anyone know of a study that has taken place on the history of pardalis? This would definately be one to hang on to. Keep us posted.

Last edited:
Like humans with tails, or cats with webbed feet, or panther chameleons with "noses". This subject intrigued me. I'm getting the following book that the vet told me about:

http://books.google.com/books?id=CnnGKjzw3xMC&dq="evo+devo"

It's all about this primative shared gene thing. Check it out if you are into that kind of info. Very cool cham. Thanks for sharing it with us :)

Or like the whale with legs that was caught off New England in the early 1900's. Wish I had the time to read something other than textbooks because that sounds like a fascinating read.

@pardalisgirl:thanks for the info.

the horned panther is from 7-9-07
and in this point i think it is a female.
regards maykel

Hornymitso? anyways pardalisgirl was hiting on a good point animals and plants have a wide variety of genes "turned off". an example of this would be droping a bunch of mice into a bucket full of water the ones who swim have the gene for swiming the ones who sink dont. also the wide variety of english ivy. there is also the possibility that one of the wc parents or grandparents was from a issolated population and was very inbred. i have been talking about this to my grandfather and he seems to think that this little guy is just a "turned off" gene that was turned on like a little light switch.

This little pardalis fascinates me and the subject is extremely interesting.

Maykel - You'll have to keep us updated and informed on the babies progress and growth development. You have a little treasure there.

yes, it could be a "malfunction" reactivation of "dead genes" or mutation of the genes
and yes, if it is a change of the DNA it would be passed along into the f1, f2 generations.
Expression of that may be recessive or (co)dominant
so there's really no way to find out without "finding out"
Someone needs to re-breed the line back into itself to see what happens.

See if you can locate another from the same clutch to have it mate with rino there.
That'll increase your chances of having that new clutch all come out with rinohorns.
if it's recessive you may need to do this a few times before you get a double (rr) hatch out.

If that happens, I want some of those young.
make sure you keep track of the clutches and ratios.

Last edited:
Someone needs to re-breed the line back into itself to see what happens.

See if you can locate another from the same clutch to have it mate with rino there.
That'll increase your chances of having that new clutch all come out with rinohorns.
if it's recessive you may need to do this a few times before you get a double (rr) hatch out.

umm why would anyone intentionally inbreed any animal and take away from the natural shape or color. for some reason i dont think that is very ethical and just a cheap way to exploit animals so you can make a profit off of there misshapen babies. anyways the turnoover rate on a panther is very long and the horn will probally wont show up agin even if you made a sister and brother breed:mad::mad:

umm why would anyone intentionally inbreed any animal and take away from the natural shape or color. for some reason i dont think that is very ethical and just a cheap way to exploit animals so you can make a profit off of there misshapen babies. anyways the turnoover rate on a panther is very long and the horn will probally wont show up agin even if you made a sister and brother breed

What?...

~SNIP~

I am referring to the tried and true practice of selective breeding
that was developed with agricultural tens of thousands of years ago.

All of civilization is based upon the results the results of selective breeding of other lifeforms!

Last edited:
hi,

the oldest female with the strange nose,died 2 weeks ago,

i got now babys from both females,mated withe one of her brothers and babies from her with a mitsio cousin,non of them shows any of these strange nose shapings.....

regards maykel

Back
Top Bottom