baby panther won't eat silks or roaches

murphz71

I have a 2 and half month old ambilobe panther named Midas that I have had for a week and half.The first couple of days he would not eat,but since then he's been eating quarter crickets.He has even seemed to get a plump little belly on him.I have lots of silkworms,roaches,and crickets,but he doesn't touch the silks or roaches.Silks I raised from eggs and are about 1 inch and the roaches are about 1/4 to 3/8 in size.He doesn't seem to be interested in any thing that is in a cup or dish.He won't eat crickets in cup either,but not sure how to present silks or roaches without putting them in something.I did build a little raised platform for a small shallow dish with a little branch in it for silks and roaches but hasn't touched them all day.Have not feed any crickets today so he hasn't eaten ate all today.Any suggestions on how to get him to start eating them would be appreciated. Midas is a Ambilobe panther from chameleon paradise,his father is 24k.Been dusting insects with calcium.Setup has mistking mister coming on 4 times a day for 4 minutes.Just added a fogger because was having hard time keeping humidity up.His fecal's been quite dark looking.His cage was built by me and is mounted to the wall in the corner of my living room.Its 30 by 30 by 48 and I divided that in half and partitioned that half off again.So its 15 by 15 by 24 where hes at now.Have a arcadia 6% and 6500 ho light and 60 w basking bulb 2 inches above cage.Temps are about 79 and basking area is about 83.Humidity was in mid 40's but now with fogger 63%.Have a small pothos in with him and plenty of branches and vines.I live in Maine,have tried to do this right any have done much research.But would really appreciate any advise from you veteran keepers out there.Also I'm starting to raise roaches,silkworms and keeping crickets on hand for him.Thanks,Mike

I had trouble getting mine to eat roaches at first. I tried cup feeding but it didn't really work out after a couple weeks of trying. What I found worked to get her to start eating them is I would put a roach on its back in front of her, whether it was a vine, leaf, or anything else. That way it would squirm but it wouldn't be able to get away and I wouldn't have to worry about them roaming around the cage.

Back
Top Bottom