Baby Panther Trying to Shed?

birthnugget

Chameleon Info:
  • My Chameleon - Furcifer Paradalis (Panther Cham), Male at almost 4 months, had him since January 14th
  • Handling -I haven't handled him at all yet. Is this a good thing, or should I try to handle him?
  • Feeding - ~8-12 crickets per day. Last week I dusted them every other sitting with Calcium w/ d3, realized that was really, REALLY bad. Stopped dusting them until my Calcium w/o d3 shows up in the mail tomorrow. I gut load them with sweet potato, kale, carrot, apple, potato, zucchini, & squash. I also soak a paper towel in water for them to drink from. Occasionally, I use the Orange cubes, but I read in a thread yesterday that jannb has some very strong feelings on those, so I don't think those are going to be a thing anymore.
  • Supplements - Again, it was Rep-Cal Calcium with d3 every other sitting, but I stopped, and won't start dusting again until my Zoo Med Calcium w/o d3 gets here tomorrow. My schedule from then on will be Calcium w/o d3 every day & calcium w/ d3 every two weeks
  • Watering - I mist my enclosure like nce an hour. Virginia in the Winter is a barren, dry wasteland in the winter. He drinks a lot, always has the white urate.
  • Fecal Description - White urate, all the good things. Never been tested for parasites that I know of. Kammerflage may have done something when he was still over in CA, I dunno.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Screen enclosure. It's about 3 1/2 feet tall, 19 inches wide, 19 inches deep.
  • Lighting - I use the Zoo Med basking bulb (75w) and a 5.0 uvb bulb. In the morning, at about 9-10 I turn on the basking lamp to communicate to him that daytime is a thing now, and 2 hrs. later, I turn on the UVB. Both go off at about 8-9. He turns a certain color when he wants to go to bed.
  • Temperature -Basking spot is about 89F. He is always in the top 2/3 of his enclosure. It stays about 80F in those two thirds that aren't his basking spot. In the night, it drops down to 69F
  • Humidity - Like I said, the humidity is hella high all day. It usually stays about 60-75% all day.
  • Plants - There is one monster Pothos in his cage that he has recently been hanging out in.
  • Placement - It is in my bedroom right next to the bedroom door, which I am always very careful to open silently. It is about 4 feet off the ground and goes all the way up to about 7ft off the ground. I put an airflow director over the vents that way he doesn't get any drafts.
  • Location- Roanoke, VA n

Current Problem - So my little guy, Louie, has been with me for about 2 weeks. So far its been pretty ok. Lately, however he's not been very vibrant. He mostly stays kind of greyish unless he's being fed. When I feed him, he turns into his blues. Sometimes (~48% of the time) he's really, really light blue white his black bars and white spots and lips. The rest of the time, he's dark like in the pictures below. I think he's trying to shed, as he looks a ashy around his tail base and bottom of his tummy. Not only that, but his colors are pretty bland. He does not like to be sprayed with water, cool or warm. However, he'll drink plenty of it. I think he's getting a little more moisture by chilling in the pothos, but I don't know and I'm worried. I want him to be the best he can be in all areas, and I'm afraid I might be doing something wrong. I'm going to soon try feeding him some different bugs like hornworms (speaking of hornworms, does anyone here sell egg cups?), and in the summer, i'll be feeding him mantis hatchlings and anything else I can find in my backyard that isn't fireflies. Any advice is greatly appreciated!
IMG_0982.JPG

DSC05856.JPG

Did that mean twice an hour? If so they don't need that much. They need a dry period so the shed can dry and flake away.

Did that mean twice an hour? If so they don't need that much. They need a dry period so the shed can dry and flake away.
I spray the enclosure whenever I see that the previously sprayed water has evaporated. Should I spray like once every 2 hours?

The humidity should drop between mistings to around 45%ish and have a dry period and not always stay at 75%

Back
Top Bottom