Baby panther not developing correctly

HUBSonDUBS

Established Member
I have some 4 month old panther chameleons that are doing great and getting huge but one of them is extremely small almost the size it was at birth. I make sure it eats and drinks which it does fine but still it is not growing. It looks to be in decent condition it depends on which day but it seems not to sun bath like the other ones who all clump up under the lamp it usually just hangs out on the lower region of the cage. What should I do about this, of course when I go in to take a picture hes under the light, probably the first time Ive seen this. In the picture is a comparison of size and that is not the largest one just an average one to compare him with.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 257
I would move him to his own place! Rule of thumb with all babies-when one seem to be submissive, or falling behind, or even when one bullies-move them to their own enclosure.

Yea hes normaly in his own place hes with a couple chams right now but after this weekend he'll be alone.

I have some 4 month old panther chameleons that are doing great and getting huge but one of them is extremely small almost the size it was at birth. I make sure it eats and drinks which it does fine but still it is not growing. It looks to be in decent condition it depends on which day but it seems not to sun bath like the other ones who all clump up under the lamp it usually just hangs out on the lower region of the cage. What should I do about this, of course when I go in to take a picture hes under the light, probably the first time Ive seen this. In the picture is a comparison of size and that is not the largest one just an average one to compare him with.

where did you get them?

he didnt get them, he bred them. Hes raising a clutch. He needs his own cage so he can bask and eat without competition from others who are larger and better able to hunt. As long as he eats and basks and eyes remain open i wouldnt worry too much. Some come along slower than others and he may be your "runt".

Yeah, a late bloomer. Given it's own space away from the stress of competition for food, water , and warmth, It's should catch up in size in time.

Since they are 4 months aren't you going to be putting all of them in separate cages? I would think it is time. I had a tiny one (smidg) who took about 8 months to grow, but then she took off.

Yea as I said he has his seperate enclosure I am just keeping two more in there till this weeknd and he will be alone.

No..im trying to downsize...i just asked cause i got 2 from someone i know and the clutch has mbd..they still have a few out of the clutch 2 of mine are from and they havent grown or are kinked so to speak...my male has a crooked tail and my femal is always in the fetal position...nut is doing just fine.....wish i could

Not really an answer to this but to anyone who knows, is it possible its like a midget chameleon? I mean, Im sure there is some sort of genetic stuff going on somewhere in the world like that.

Yeah, a late bloomer. Given it's own space away from the stress of competition for food, water , and warmth, It's should catch up in size in time.

This reminds me of the one you brought to a couple of meetings. wasn'nt he like 1 yr old and a 1/3 size perfect little chameleon :eek: ......I think he finally
grew up though didn't he?

I would move him to his own place! Rule of thumb with all babies-when one seem to be submissive, or falling behind, or even when one bullies-move them to their own enclosure.

By far this is the best thing you can do if you would like to keep him/her alive.

-Clemonde

Back
Top Bottom