Baby panther clsoing her eyes

ReikoChameleon

hey guys ..i have recently recieved some new baby panther chameleons and one of the baby girls seems to be having trouble she is closing her eyes and also lifting her head up and seems to sometimes lose her balance and she reaches out as if she can't see ahead...now they are only weeks old and i had the heat on them and was not supposed to now i know....but the others seem to be doing fine but one is having a very hard time..any suggestions guys ..i am so worried i will lose her and so do not want to.... if anyone can help at all please do some asap..and if anyone has any really good tips on how to care for babies please send info also i am a new chameleon lover and trying to learn fats but i guess not fast enough any tips will help....thanks guys

Sounds like an upper respiratory problem. does she have lots of saliva in her mouth when she opens it up?

ya she has a bit and also i seen now that she has a bone sticking out of her neck like something stuck in there or jaw dislocated could be other things but thats what it looks like.. any advice she is so very tiny for me to do anything only about inch long 029.jpg

035.jpg

033.jpg

030.jpg

they came from ontario and i am never have had panthers but have had veilds before but this is the first time having them this young .....i am learning and reading everyday...

I'm not a vet, but it almost looks like the hyoid bone that the tongue is stored on is dislocated. If so, it needs to go to a vets.

I hate to be the grim reaper but she looks bad. when a baby looks like that they do not come back very often. Veilds are kept at higher temps the Panthers. Many panther breeders use different methods but their is always one rule of thumb. better to under heat then over heat. I say never use anything glass to keep them in also. Mine go right into cages with several hand misting a day and live plants, good UVB and making sure not to over heat. no standing water. A killer of babys is also not cleaning their poop off the leafs befor they try to drink ff of it. The baby's you have look to be a month or younger. Don't beat yourself up a baby can just drop dead at that age and you will never know why. I hope this helps a little:rolleyes:

I recently lost a baby to a problem similar to this. It was fine for awhile but i noticed as the days went by it wasn't growing like the others were and with some closer observation its tongue didnt seem to have a very good firing response. She would shoot her tongue and it would just kind of flop out. Occasionally she would nag a ff but she would chase them all over and very rarely catch anything. I keep all the babys in screened cubes but i took her out and isolated her in a smaller bin but she never pulled through. Before her demise she would always have her eyes closed and be reaching around and grabbing at the air, aimlessly crawling around. I know your probably pretty attached to these babies but its not smooth sailing until they're over 2 or 2.5 months old in my opinion. Some babies just dont develop like other do.

I recently lost a baby to a problem similar to this. It was fine for awhile but i noticed as the days went by it wasn't growing like the others

This is very common out of a clutch to have 1 or 2 that just don't make it. they are the runts so to speak. I do try to keep 5 to 7 baby's to a 16x16x20 cage to try to minimize and if I sell any baby's they go to people that have raised panthers and are full aware of the risk of death. If anyone purchases a tiny chameleon Just know that baby's do not reach a stable life rate till around 2 months by then the runts die off has lessened. I am Not trying to be a know it all, I have Just been able to witness this over many years.

I recently lost a baby to a problem similar to this. It was fine for awhile but i noticed as the days went by it wasn't growing like the others

This is very common out of a clutch to have 1 or 2 that just don't make it. they are the runts so to speak. I do try to keep 5 to 7 baby's to a 16x16x20 cage to try to minimize and if I sell any baby's they go to people that have raised panthers and are full aware of the risk of death. If anyone purchases a tiny chameleon Just know that baby's do not reach a stable life rate till around 2 months by then the runts die off has lessened. I am Not trying to be a know it all, I have Just been able to witness this over many years.

Yeah. I asked where they came from so we would know what breeder was selling anmals WAYYYYY too young. I've seen this more and more lately. I really think we should start some kind of "blacklist".

Reiko, there probably isn't much you can do at this point(or probably nothing you could have done at any point). Most likely the little just ouldn't handle the move and shouldn't have been sold to ANYONE in the first place. Probably doesn't help how your feeling much, but its not your fault.

Yeah. I asked where they came from so we would know what breeder was selling anmals WAYYYYY too young. I've seen this more and more lately. I really think we should start some kind of "blacklist".

Reiko, there probably isn't much you can do at this point(or probably nothing you could have done at any point). Most likely the little just ouldn't handle the move and shouldn't have been sold to ANYONE in the first place. Probably doesn't help how your feeling much, but its not your fault.

Yes.... Those babies were way too young to sell to you. Shame on the person/s who did this.

Back
Top Bottom