Baby Jackson’s - any tips and advice!?

Franklinsaurus

Hi all!

I’m not new to chameleon ownership, I recently lost my 7 year old panther George who was my pride and joy which was horribly upsetting.

To take the sting away I am picking up a new baby Jackson’s on the 13th April - I’ve not kept a Jackson’s before so I wanted to reach out and see whether anyone could share any husbandry tips and advice with me, I’ve read that temps and humidity differ from the panther chams, what basking lamps and misting do you Jackson’s owners use?

I’ve attached photographs of my little guys juevenile setup, so far I had planned to install an exo terra mister, water dripper and 5.0 uvb strip bulb, I’m unsure what watt basking lamp to use?

I’ve also read that supplementing may be different for Jackson’s - I was dusting my panthers insects with calcium daily, with multi vits and calcium with d3 rotating every 2 weeks, would this be sufficient for a juvie Jackson’s or do I need to revise my plan?

Thanks in advance guys, can’t wait to get this one home!

Attachments

• 658732F7-CFFA-4DCB-8FF5-3F1FAF8CA0F8.jpeg
    658732F7-CFFA-4DCB-8FF5-3F1FAF8CA0F8.jpeg
    334.4 KB · Views: 176
  • ECEFA147-794D-491F-B004-4A35E9DE09A2.jpeg
    ECEFA147-794D-491F-B004-4A35E9DE09A2.jpeg
    310.9 KB · Views: 179
  • 174FDEEA-36E7-4A9B-A104-306E1BBC50BD.jpeg
    174FDEEA-36E7-4A9B-A104-306E1BBC50BD.jpeg
    430.9 KB · Views: 189
I'm not a Jackson's keeper so I'll refrain from commenting on the Jackson's-specific elements of your husbandry, but I do have a general comment to make about the setup of your enclosure's interior:

You aren't using any of the space in the top ~1/4 of the enclosure, which is actually the most critical part. Since chams are arboreal, they want to be as high up as possible. When designing a new setup always think to yourself: "Empty space is wasted space!" So I would recommend one of two options in your case. (1) move everything you have in there up by a good several inches, or (2) just add more branches and foliage towards the top of the enclosure (y)

I'm so sorry to hear about your Panther. I hope and wish you the best with your Jacksons though. Wish I could help but I've realized this species is not my strong suite. @JacksJill is much more informed and educated on this species.

"for supplementing use calcium (without D3 or phosphorus) twice a week, a multivitamin once a month, and calcium with D3 once a month. " taken from the care sheet

Thank you all, the help sheet is an absolute goldmine of information, thanks for sharing!!
I have plenty of branches left so can certainly build up closer to the top of the cage as well, I think I’m always over cautious about how close they can get to their basking lamp before they’re in!
I’ll share more when I bring baby Franklin home!

Franklin is due home tomorrow!!! We’re setting off on a 7 hour round trip to collect him this evening, we’re very excited! We’ve made a few final tweaks to his cage, moved everything up slightly and added a new top level branch not in direct line with his basking lamp.

We’ll see how he uses the space but until his plants grow a bit we might buy him a small hanging plant as well - any recommendations? I’ve had hanging plants before and managed to kill them all so something hardy ideally!!

Attachments

• F3A4ABEB-493C-48E4-AEE1-0083686C34E6.jpeg
    F3A4ABEB-493C-48E4-AEE1-0083686C34E6.jpeg
    263.7 KB · Views: 122
  • 8E31DB04-7B8E-4376-A0E0-3F9BEDE76733.jpeg
    8E31DB04-7B8E-4376-A0E0-3F9BEDE76733.jpeg
    331.6 KB · Views: 159
  • 0B975BB4-A006-42A5-8469-ABD8191D3DF9.jpeg
    0B975BB4-A006-42A5-8469-ABD8191D3DF9.jpeg
    378.2 KB · Views: 133
I'm not a Jackson's keeper so I'll refrain from commenting on the Jackson's-specific elements of your husbandry, but I do have a general comment to make about the setup of your enclosure's interior:

You aren't using any of the space in the top ~1/4 of the enclosure, which is actually the most critical part. Since chams are arboreal, they want to be as high up as possible. When designing a new setup always think to yourself: "Empty space is wasted space!" So I would recommend one of two options in your case. (1) move everything you have in there up by a good several inches, or (2) just add more branches and foliage towards the top of the enclosure (y)
I agree with you. But lately I have starting to Think that is a good idea to leave a empty space between the highest Point of the talest plant and the roof, if the lamps are resting on the roof. This to avoid burns. wich chameleons and Jackson seem to get often. Jacksons not seem to know when it´s too hot too soon.

Hi all!

I’m not new to chameleon ownership, I recently lost my 7 year old panther George who was my pride and joy which was horribly upsetting.

To take the sting away I am picking up a new baby Jackson’s on the 13th April - I’ve not kept a Jackson’s before so I wanted to reach out and see whether anyone could share any husbandry tips and advice with me, I’ve read that temps and humidity differ from the panther chams, what basking lamps and misting do you Jackson’s owners use?

I’ve attached photographs of my little guys juevenile setup, so far I had planned to install an exo terra mister, water dripper and 5.0 uvb strip bulb, I’m unsure what watt basking lamp to use?

I’ve also read that supplementing may be different for Jackson’s - I was dusting my panthers insects with calcium daily, with multi vits and calcium with d3 rotating every 2 weeks, would this be sufficient for a juvie Jackson’s or do I need to revise my plan?

Thanks in advance guys, can’t wait to get this one home!

Yeah 27 C at day and 16 at night. a side of the Cage with high humidity and the other a but dryer, so they can choose which side. rotate your feeders, they get tired of them quite fast have like 4 or more feeders to rotate. D3 just once a month adults are feeded everyother day, plain calcium without D3 every feeding. vitamins once a month too. vitamin A in oil form just like once a month or less. just a few drops, and they don´t break beta carrotina to vitamin a, so the oil must come already in vitamin a form, in oild form.

Back
Top Bottom