Baby food?

thealissa

I have the book, "Chameleons" by Ferguson/Kalisch/Keown, and under the feeding section for veiled chameleons, it says that you can feed young C.c.calyptratus alfalfa sprouts and pureed vegetable baby food.

I haven't tired either, but I'm mostly wondering about the baby food. Has anyone tried it yet?

The book says you can just put it directly onto the leaves of the plants in the enclosure, and the chams will simply lick it off.

Well, I've never heard of anyone feeding baby food in chameleons, however, in crested geckos it causes low bone density among various other health concerns.
But realize, these are two completely different species.. so I guess I don't have much to say about the subject except be weary.

It's better to feed them the real stuff, especially if the vegetable baby food has spinach or broccoli in it.

Well, I've never heard of anyone feeding baby food in chameleons, however, in crested geckos it causes low bone density among various other health concerns.
But realize, these are two completely different species.. so I guess I don't have much to say about the subject except be weary.

It's better to feed them the real stuff, especially if the vegetable baby food has spinach or broccoli in it.

lol, the book also suggests feeding spinach and broccoli bits! I guess this was a bad book to purchase.

Did you get the book from petsmart or petco? :rolleyes:

Mhmm.

I've been to a few of the other pet/reptile shops around my area and every place seems just as bad, or worse, than the typical Petsmart/Petco. Pets Inc. (on Mill Ave.), for example, the guy didn't know when his baby veiled chams were born, when he was going to be able to sell them, or anything at all on pregnant chams. Not to mention the unsafe plant in one of his other cham cages.

They have veileds now? I remember they had a fischers but.. eh. I don't like going there much, because it's quite the travel.. but, they have good supplies.

They have veileds now? I remember they had a fischers but.. eh. I don't like going there much, because it's quite the travel.. but, they have good supplies.

Yeah, I bought one of my enclosures from there, and their prices aren't too terrible. I went about a month or so ago, and it was pretty gross. I mean, it's hard to be sanitary and clean when you have such a variety of animals to care for and when you breed all the feeders, but it was beyond what I'd consider healthy. They had about 5 baby veiled males that looked to be only a few weeks old.

Only takes me about 10-15 to get there on the 60. :p

Last edited:
Takes me 30 on the 60... lucky duck.

I'll have to stop by it again sometime. I'm more interested in their geckos, anyways.

unsupplemented it causes low bone density. If you add calcium carbonate, you won't have that problem.

Back
Top Bottom