Baby Chameleon not eating or drinking

sethxvi

I have a 4 month old chameleon.

Lighting: 50 Watt basking bulb ( UVA ) and i have 13 Watt UVB bulb. I do not have a night light on him. ( Cold temperatures are suppose to be good for their metabolism )

Food & Water: I have medium/large crickets because small one are the worst option, they escape so easily and are so much more active than bigger crickets. I was considering putting a feeder dish around his hiding area to help him try and eat because he will not eat anything. I use a home made cricket feeder that has a wide opening to catch the crickets. when he pleases. I have a home made dripper as well, this constantly is dripping on the plastic plant.

Living Circumstances: He currently lives in a home made cage. I wanted him to have lots of height and a wide cage. I had to duct tape the top and end of the cage due to crickets escaping and coming and finding crickets in my bed sheets!... I made the door out of mesh and duct tape and it works just fine i have bread ties to keep the door shut and zip ties to act as a door hinge. He has a big wooden cage with metal mesh. Lots of airflow. I mist him every 20 minutes and i gave him a good 2 minute mist throughout the day since i do school from home. I zip ties lots of artificial plants throughout his cage. He had forest most substrate which helps with humidity levels.

The fella has not eaten a cricket in 2 days and i fear he will soon get weak or dehydrated as well. He does not want to explore. I do not hover over his cage and i even try to be slow when approaching the room. I keep his humidity at 60-80% and his temp at 77-85 Degrees Fahrenheit. He hides a lot and every time i approach the room he immediately runs to his corner. Its his fourth day now starting this morning and he has stayed dark green the whole time. He turns light green blue ish color as he sleeps. He is 4 months old and i purchased him from pet smart ( They had the wrong set up for him and kept him in a small glass 10 gallon container.....) I found 2 of his poops along with small pebbles inside of his fecal matter from his previous eatings in his old cage in petsmart. I want to help get this guy fed and hydrated without invading his privacy and making him feel like i am a threat. I want him to understand im here to help him, i think being in pet smart with all the people tapping at his glass and now a person finally has held him to put him in his cage probably really freaked him out. Poor bugger wont explore too far away from his corner and any movement in the room he will immediately go back. He needs to eat these crickets that were gut loaded and dusted when i bought them. He will sometimes come out and sit on the thermometer/humidty reader. I am getting concerned about him because he is very thin and looks like he is hungry.
He has plenty and lots of climbing space, vines and branches all over the place. His highest branch is about 7 inches away from the UVB&UVA bulb.I understand he is adjusting to his surroundings.

( He will not eat or drink, he just hides in his corner in the dark )

Can anyone please give me correct guidance and information on how to help him eat and hydrate? I do not want him to suffer or be fearful. Thanks for reading! God bless

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG_0723.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_0723.jpg
    403.7 KB · Views: 151
  • thumbnail_IMG_0705.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_0705.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 145
  • thumbnail_IMG_0724.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_0724.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 128
  • thumbnail_FullSizeRender.jpg
    thumbnail_FullSizeRender.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 128
  • thumbnail_IMG_0695.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_0695.jpg
    221.2 KB · Views: 147
  • thumbnail_IMG_0703.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_0703.jpg
    199.6 KB · Views: 141
Creating multiple threads asking the same thing isn't going to get you more help. You already had a lot of good advice from some very knowledgeable keepers on your other thread. I suggest you listen to what they have to say and if you need clarification about what they're telling you then you ask them in that thread rather than starting all over again.

I also recommend getting rid of the substrate, and just like everyone else said, add live plants and add lots more climbing branches. I'd also be cautious about using duct tape, chams can get their tongues stuck on it and rip them out.

You need more live plants/branches. He's scared. He will come out and eat when he's comfortable. I had the exact same issue with my veiled, same age as yours. As soon as I got him into his proper enclosure with PLENTY of hiding space the little guy ate like crazy.

Also noticed many, many people telling you the same thing on your other thread which you ignored. Get a pothos, ficus, umbrella plant, hibiscus, something else. Even fake plants. Give the dude some walking room.

You need more live plants/branches. He's scared. He will come out and eat when he's comfortable. I had the exact same issue with my veiled, same age as yours. As soon as I got him into his proper enclosure with PLENTY of hiding space the little guy ate like crazy.

Also noticed many, many people telling you the same thing on your other thread which you ignored. Get a pothos, ficus, umbrella plant, hibiscus, something else. Even fake plants. Give the dude some walking room.
He has tons of walking room. He has atleast 10 different branches to walk on. Ill find him on a different branch every time when i walk in the room.

He has tons of walking room. He has atleast 10 different branches to walk on. Ill find him on a different branch every time when i walk in the room.
Hi their , I've read over both threads . You have had lots of great advice , by Amazing keepers ;). It's not so much the pathways that need help it's the plants . Veiled chameleons are Notorious for eating plants . Fake plants cause impaction , if you already suspect impaction you will have a double impaction , real plants are needed also for humidity and extra drinking areas . If you think your baby have an impaction you need a vet . Do you have a good exotic reptile vet ? Also the substrate you are using you need to get rid of ASAP !!. If you want to use substrate go bioactive . @jamest0o0 is whom to chat with :).

https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/plants/ Here is a plant list .

Also you may want to relook over the care sheet . . https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/caresheets/ .

Your baby is used to hiding likely because he had lots of eyes on him at petsmart . :( Hope this help a bit best of luck .

Hi their , I've read over both threads . You have had lots of great advice , by Amazing keepers ;). It's not so much the pathways that need help it's the plants . Veiled chameleons are Notorious for eating plants . Fake plants cause impaction , if you already suspect impaction you will have a double impaction , real plants are needed also for humidity and extra drinking areas . If you think your baby have an impaction you need a vet . Do you have a good exotic reptile vet ? Also the substrate you are using you need to get rid of ASAP !!. If you want to use substrate go bioactive . @jamest0o0 is whom to chat with :).

https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/plants/ Here is a plant list .

Also you may want to relook over the care sheet . . https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/caresheets/ .

Your baby is used to hiding likely because he had lots of eyes on him at petsmart . :( Hope this help a bit best of luck .

I just posted on my other thread about how he just took a nice juicy poop. Looks healthy right? I attached a picture. Also i held him 2 times today for a home made enema and gently misted warm water and it helped him take a smooth poop. And yes i totally agree! lots of tapping on the glass and no humidity tormented the poor guy!!! ( i also caught him right under the home made dripper i made! he had drops of water on his head so hopefully he licked it. I also have the water dripping onto a soft plastic plant that is safe for reptiles and non toxic. Its the best artificial plant for holding water thats why i placed it right under the dripper so the fella could take a few sips. the water sits on the leaves of it nicely and sticks to it.

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG_0759.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_0759.jpg
    206.9 KB · Views: 125
  • thumbnail_IMG_0741.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_0741.jpg
    181.3 KB · Views: 117
  • thumbnail_IMG_0748.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_0748.jpg
    219.5 KB · Views: 117
  • thumbnail_IMG_0753.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_0753.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 107
  • thumbnail_IMG_0754.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_0754.jpg
    211.6 KB · Views: 133
  • thumbnail_IMG_0759.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_0759.jpg
    206.9 KB · Views: 108
I just posted on my other thread about how he just took a nice juicy poop. Looks healthy right? I attached a picture. Also i held him 2 times today for a home made enema and gently misted warm water and it helped him take a smooth poop. And yes i totally agree! lots of tapping on the glass and no humidity tormented the poor guy!!! ( i also caught him right under the home made dripper i made! he had drops of water on his head so hopefully he licked it. I also have the water dripping onto a soft plastic plant that is safe for reptiles and non toxic. Its the best artificial plant for holding water thats why i placed it right under the dripper so the fella could take a few sips. the water sits on the leaves of it nicely and sticks to it.
Fantastic !!. He's coloring is looking good and not looking thin skinned , or sunken eyes . How is he doing with eating . Maybe try mixing things up ?

Fantastic !!. He's coloring is looking good and not looking thin skinned , or sunken eyes . How is he doing with eating . Maybe try mixing things up ?

Thank you for finally asking about his eating habits thats the main thing i am concerned about after he is hydrated. I guess he is getting hydrated because i see his poop looks good. My main question is how do i get my guy to eat. I do not do free roaming crickets due to how large his cage mesh it. I find crickets in my bed sheets when i let them free roam. I love his mesh because of how easy it is for him to climb and how breathable it is. I open my window for humid are to come in for him a lot. He has crickets in the feeder i keep counting them to check if he has eaten any. He hasnt eaten any what so ever. He ate the second i first brought him home he ate a large cricket very quickly.

I really need guidance on getting him to eat. Please help me and randal. Thank you.

Thank you for finally asking about his eating habits thats the main thing i am concerned about after he is hydrated. I guess he is getting hydrated because i see his poop looks good. My main question is how do i get my guy to eat. I do not do free roaming crickets due to how large his cage mesh it. I find crickets in my bed sheets when i let them free roam. I love his mesh because of how easy it is for him to climb and how breathable it is. I open my window for humid are to come in for him a lot. He has crickets in the feeder i keep counting them to check if he has eaten any. He hasnt eaten any what so ever. He ate the second i first brought him home he ate a large cricket very quickly.

I really need guidance on getting him to eat. Please help me and randal. Thank you.
Hydration is 1 one . He won't starve him self . If he is not hydrated he won't eat either . His poo looks good a bit watery but not bad , Can you get other feeders very small hornworms, silkworms small super worms ?

I also think that is a female.

Yea it is a female im aware it doesnt have a nub, i call him a he cause im a guy and its just an easy reference. I named her randal even though thats some red neck name but it fits the way it looks haha.

..... about the female. I do not want eggs or little chameleon hatchlings. Do i discard any eggs in the cage if she lays them? and what is this so called risk of "Egg bound" i honestly dont want a female because i heard its harder and they have to be handled more carefully.

Might as well change the name right?

It is a female, should i consider a name change because i like the name randal because it goes back to my child hood memories of monsters incorporated.
Lol How about Randi . Ok so you know you have a female . You need to set up a lay bin , have it in her enclosure at all times . She will lay egg but if not with a male they won't be fertile . If she does not have a adequate place to lay , she will become egg bound and she will die . You will need A little bit lower temps around 83 at basking and once she starts showing signs of making eggs you will need to feed her every other day . She is still young so you won't to feed every day right now . You also won't to make sure she is getting her calcium . Hope this helps .

Hydration is 1 one . He won't starve him self . If he is not hydrated he won't eat either . His poo looks good a bit watery but not bad , Can you get other feeders very small hornworms, silkworms small super worms ?
& Yes i can look into worms. Worms are awfully big thought will my chameleon choke on the fat worms? Also i can get small super worms from pet smart there are many different sized worms. I once left super worms in the fridge for 10 months and i thawed them out and the whole can of them was still alive. So yes i will consider super worms. How do i feed my chameleon these super worms? Im used to feeding amphibians because i have two juvenile gulf coast toads and its no problem for them to easy suck it in with their tounges off the ground. Now that a chameleon lives in a tree do i need to make a home made feeder for worms? Can these worms crawl up plastic surfaces? I know my crickets cant so if the meal worms wont work out then i will have to try small sized crickets for easier feeding. I just dont want them jumping out. There were a ton of horn worms at pet smart as well, big and small. I have tomatoes in my back yard but i heard it deadly to feed a chameleon a horn worm who has consumed tomatoes.. Ill stick with the super worms and give it a shot and let you know how that works out.

One more thing, i did notice that 1 cricket is missing from the cricket feeder. Earlier today randal got into the feeder and i had to help it out by sticking my finger for it to latch onto. I now place it on a branch and it doesnt run away as much now. Its starting to get use to me somewhat. Hoping me and my cham can have a special bond.

& Yes i can look into worms. Worms are awfully big thought will my chameleon choke on the fat worms? Also i can get small super worms from pet smart there are many different sized worms. I once left super worms in the fridge for 10 months and i thawed them out and the whole can of them was still alive. So yes i will consider super worms. How do i feed my chameleon these super worms? Im used to feeding amphibians because i have two juvenile gulf coast toads and its no problem for them to easy suck it in with their tounges off the ground. Now that a chameleon lives in a tree do i need to make a home made feeder for worms? Can these worms crawl up plastic surfaces? I know my crickets cant so if the meal worms wont work out then i will have to try small sized crickets for easier feeding. I just dont want them jumping out. There were a ton of horn worms at pet smart as well, big and small. I have tomatoes in my back yard but i heard it deadly to feed a chameleon a horn worm who has consumed tomatoes.. Ill stick with the super worms and give it a shot and let you know how that works out.

One more thing, i did notice that 1 cricket is missing from the cricket feeder. Earlier today randal got into the feeder and i had to help it out by sticking my finger for it to latch onto. I now place it on a branch and it doesnt run away as much now. Its starting to get use to me somewhat. Hoping me and my cham can have a special bond.
Give her a bit of time . When you are around leave her door open I have a big tree that I put infrint of Frances enclosure . I let her come out her self . She will let me know if she wants to go on me or if it's a no go :rolleyes:. Hand feeding as well will get you brownie points lol . Small hornworms will be fine . I started Frances on them right around 4 month . Also large crickets are too big for her . Med probably ok . My little girl love supor worms . She likes things that ask crazy and she likes them hand fed . She will not eat them outa a cup . Something nice and juicy may get her interested . If your cup is just that a cup , no they won't get out . If it has any texture yes their very good climbers . Silkworms are a great stable . They are very balinced and do not need to be dusted . You can if you wish .

Back
Top Bottom