Baby cham wont drink from leaves

Brokaylacham

Established Member
Hey so my Ambilobe Panther chameleon won't drink from the leaves when I spray it? He only drinks from the dripper but I was just wondering if there's a way I can make him drink from the leaves?

Ok so if he doesn't drink from leaves try to spray his mouth softly and see if he'll drink from that. My veiled chameleon hates water but she'll drink from leaves most of the time and if I try to spray her mouth super soft she'll drink it. But what I mean by she hates water I mean she hates the sprayer that I use to most her cage

Oh okay ill try, like I'm wasting all this water and flooding the cage when it falls off the leaves because he doesn't drink it. Cmon man just drink it!

He needs to drink from the leaves because the dripper is set to slow most of the times and he can never time it right I guess. I feel like he would have an easier time getting water from the leaves, also he's starting to get dehydrated because of this. I can't bump it up because then it uses all the water and by the time I get back from somewhere all of its gone. This is a problem because I can't always refill it and I run out of the blue stuff really quickly.

blue stuff? As far as water, he will need likely around 1-2 minutes worth of misting time depending on the type of cage you keep him in, how old he actually is, and what species of chameleon he is (When I hear baby I think no more than a month old). As far as flooding the cage you need better drainage, drainage is a must have with all chameleons. And you will "waste water" with chameleons, they are a species that needs high humidity and high water in take.... They didn't ask to be in captivity so it's up to us to provide them with everything they could possibly need as their keepers. Pictures of your cage set up would help too.

The blue stuff is the things that filter the water. Leon is three months old and a Ambilobe Panther chameleon. I have made a little bucket thing that goes in the cage to collect the water from the dripper but the water that falls off the leaves I can't control so I just wipe it off from the floor. The humidity isn't really a problem I don't think because its always between 50 or on 50. Here's my cage setup. Also I usually mist for 1:30 seconds ish.
IMG_0798.JPG

ok then his mistings need to be increased a lot. Especially since you have all plastic plants, you also need to add some more in my opinion.

So is the blue thing an actual filter? I am confused...

As far as making drainage, most people drill holes in the bottom of the cage and set it on top of something. I use a rubbermaid bin that's been sealed with silicone and then has some fittings in it that let me drain it just by removing the plug and draining it into a bucket.

The blue thing filters the water for me with 10 drops. I'll tell my dad about the whole drainage thing because Idk how to drill holes or any of that, i'm pretty young. I will take that drainage thing up for consideration because I'm not sure how my dad would react with my drilling holes in the tank lol .

@Andee talking about the drops people put in water to dechlorinate it.

As andee mentioned, you need to be flooding the cage, that's the point. If you're able to wipe the water up and it's not pouring out then you're not misting enough. If your dad has a drill there should be no problem with it, most people do this easily.

The blue thing filters the water for me with 10 drops. I'll tell my dad about the whole drainage thing because Idk how to drill holes or any of that, i'm pretty young. I will take that drainage thing up for consideration because I'm not sure how my dad would react with my drilling holes in the tank lol .
I gave up on the water control and put my chams cage over a bin then I pump the water out of the bin and pour it out. My chams go thru a couple gallons of water a day

Attachments

• 1499692958247-1182804603.jpg
    1499692958247-1182804603.jpg
    181 KB · Views: 87
As long as you are misting enough throughout the day for atleast 2 minutes at a time, the chameleon should drink off the leaves. They tend to be shy drinkers. Monitoring the chams urates is probably the best way to monitor water intake.

Consider an auto mister system after you figure out drainage. The mist systems have a finer spray that hand misters cant replicate. Bigger droplets may annoy the cham instead of trigger a drinking response.

In regards to spraying the chams mouth.... Dont... Thats an easy way to cause them to aspirate water which will lead to health problems.

Actually I find larger drops stimulate drinking better. Most likely because it's similar to rain. There's ways to safely spray water in the mouth, but I'd probably not risk it unless I had to for whatever reason.

I agree I have found most species like larger drops as well. As far as the dechlorinator I don't use it, but I have RO water.

Dechlorinators aren't really needed in my opinion, since you can do just as much as a dechlorinator does by just leaving a pitcher of water out for 24 hours.

If your city uses regular chlorine to treat the water you can just let it evaporate over night as above but now many places use a form of chlorine, chloramine, that doesn't evaporate.

Would chloramine be lost by boiling? Don't remember some of the aspects of chloramine from my aquarium keeping days XD

uhhh I'm 12 so I have no idea what water they use lol. I do mist for about two minutes, I think I'm gonna do the drill hole thing. Also I cant just wipe it up it rly does get flooded, I go through almost a whole toilet paper roll each time, this needs to stop because im using up all the toilet paper lol. I'm gonna go find a bucket thingy and see if I can use it. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom