Baby cham questions

Anastasia

I aquirred two baby chameleons while on vacation in Florida, I kept one, Charlemagne, for myself, and gave the second one, George, to a friend. While visiting my friend I noticed something odd, George is only half the size of Charlemagne, even though they're raised in very similar environments. Should I be concerned?

I aquirred two baby chameleons while on vacation in Florida, I kept one, Charlemagne, for myself, and gave the second one, George, to a friend. While visiting my friend I noticed something odd, George is only half the size of Charlemagne, even though they're raised in very similar environments. Should I be concerned?

How old are they? When they are babies, you'll see different growth rates. The amount they're eating could also play a key factor. I had two females that were the same age, they hatched 1 day apart. When I got them at 2 months, one was almost double the size of the other. Now they're the same size. It could be that one hasn't hit their growth spurt.

They're 2 months old right now, thanks. I just wanted to make sure because George hasn't grown hardly at all since we got him while Sharley has doubled in size.

Perhaps George is kept at too low a temperature or is given less food or your friend doesn't know that supplement powders are necessary to ensure that a cham gets all the nutrients he needs (unless a superb variety of nutritious foods are used as gutloads and food for the various feeder insects.)

Proper temperatures enable chams to absorb the nutrients from their food.

You can look at the caresheets for whichever type of chams you and your friend have.
Here's a link to the care info section : https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/chameleons/

You can print it out or send your friend the URL and let him know that there are helpful people here, who can advise him, if he has any questions.

It's also possible George has parasites, but it depends on the husbandry of your friend. If you are worried a fecal may need to be done.

He uses a calcium jelly to feed the crickets, but no powder supplements, I think it might be the temperature. His dad keeps the house pretty cool. I'll let him know about the care sheet, thanks!

Back
Top Bottom