Baby cham hard to feed...

sonia

Hey,

I have my new 2 month old man. And I haven't seem him eat, and haven't noticed any crickets missing. I do have the tiny crickets for him, I put then in a container attached to side of his cage.
I've done this feeding set up for other chams in the past and had no issues, just never have had one this young.
I also have the small little superworms.

Any one got some advice?

Hey,

I have my new 2 month old man. And I haven't seem him eat, and haven't noticed any crickets missing. I do have the tiny crickets for him, I put then in a container attached to side of his cage.
I've done this feeding set up for other chams in the past and had no issues, just never have had one this young.
I also have the small little superworms.

Any one got some advice?
I will also note that I had a 5 month female before this man, she was eating out of this just fine, and that I've had him for 6 days now.

I have sat here after putting in multiple crickets instead of just a few and did see him eat 1, but then walk away. Is this a normal amount for his age?

Mine were not that young, but one was very small for 3 months old and he much preferred flightless fruit flies over tiny crickets. Maybe give those a try?

Mine were not that young, but one was very small for 3 months old and he much preferred flightless fruit flies over tiny crickets. Maybe give those a try?

I will definitely see if I can get some local. Thanks for the tip. Appreciate it.

All my hatchlings have always had a much stronger feeding response to free range feeding vs cup feeding. I don’t know why but every clutch is the same way. Free range feeding definitely has its draw backs too, such as monitoring food intake. But since you have just one little guy I’m sure you can do it.

As far as the volume he’s currently eating, no that’s not normal. He should be eating constantly, baby’s should have access to food pretty much 24/7. I agree that you should give FFs a shot. Baby’s can be picky eaters and go down hill fast, that’s why they should never be sold at an age of less than 3mo. Good luck, keep us posted!

All my hatchlings have always had a much stronger feeding response to free range feeding vs cup feeding. I don’t know why but every clutch is the same way. Free range feeding definitely has its draw backs too, such as monitoring food intake. But since you have just one little guy I’m sure you can do it.

As far as the volume he’s currently eating, no that’s not normal. He should be eating constantly, baby’s should have access to food pretty much 24/7. I agree that you should give FFs a shot. Baby’s can be picky eaters and go down hill fast, that’s why they should never be sold at an age of less than 3mo. Good luck, keep us posted!
The enclosure I have him in wont really allow well for free range feedings, and I would much rather monitor his eating.

I'm going to order the flightless fruit flies online.

Thank you

Ok, know where your going to order flies from?

I was just looking online and unfortunately eith Christmas tomorrow I've yet to find a place that will ship this week now, seems most places ship mondays and Tuesdays to get it here by end of week.

Anywhere you know that does quicker shipping?
On Wednesday I'm doing to call the pet store to see if they have/ can get them in sooner.

In the meantime I'll take the legs off the little criskets myne to make them smaller and more appealing.

How did you feed them to your cham? Container, ect?

I free fed without cup. I would drop a fly on a leaf in front of the baby and repeated until he was full and wouldn't take anymore. Not sure where you live but PetSmart or Petco here sells fruit flies in culture cups.

I've seen 5 day old babys eating the ffs nonstop on branches and leaves around the cage, 1 chameleon under supervision dropping 2-3 in cage should be no problem, baby chams eat alot alot!!!!! Or they should be, mine are 2-4 months old and they eat everything I put in there, I always have a variety, try giving them bsfl small or medium size and small hornworms, your cham should be chasing the food

I free fed without cup. I would drop a fly on a leaf in front of the baby and repeated until he was full and wouldn't take anymore. Not sure where you live but PetSmart or Petco here sells fruit flies in culture cups.

I'm in Ontario, I think one local store may have them!

Unfortunately he is still not people friendly, when I go in with my hand slowly, he guns it. So I'm not sure he would stick around for food being dropped on a leaf.

I'm gonna get my hands on the fruit flies. And get the legs off crickets tomorrow.

I've seen him eat a few now, but nothing like what you guys are saying and I'm reading.

All other chams in my past have eaten lots too.

I've seen 5 day old babys eating the ffs nonstop on branches and leaves around the cage, 1 chameleon under supervision dropping 2-3 in cage should be no problem, baby chams eat alot alot!!!!! Or they should be, mine are 2-4 months old and they eat everything I put in there, I always have a variety, try giving them bsfl small or medium size and small hornworms, your cham should be chasing the food
What's bsfl?

My 2 month old male veiled only started eating on the 6th day. I give him red runner nymphs, dubia nymphs and bsfl. I also bought waxworms (waiting for them to become moths), flightless fruit flies and pinhead crickets. You should try as much variety as you can to get him to eat.

I am very happy to note, today when I left for Christmas family gathering I left 10 smallest crickets and 4 small mealworms, and I have one dead cricket left.

I think I can assume maybe one or two crickets got out but am so happy that he defiantly had a nice meal.

I will still get some of the flightless flies for variety and another option.

But couldn't have been happier to see empty food dishes!!

Back
Top Bottom