Baby Carrots

i received this forward in my e-mail today from a family member. for those who use baby carrots in a gut load, check this out.

From the Department of Life Education:

Baby Carrots:

The following is information from a farmer who grows and packages carrots for IGA, METRO, LOBLAWS, etc.

The small cocktail (baby) carrots you buy in small plastic bags are made using the larger crooked or deformed carrots which are put through a machine which cuts and shapes them into cocktail carrots - most people probably know this already.

What you may not know and should know is the following:
Once the carrots are cut and shaped into cocktail carrots they are dipped in a solution of water and chlorine in order to preserve them (this is the same chlorine used in your pool).

Since they do not have their skin or natural protective covering, they give them a higher dose of chlorine.

You will notice that once you keep these carrots in your refrigerator for a few days, a white covering will form on the carrots. This is the chlorine which resurfaces. (At what cost do we put our health at risk to have esthetically pleasing vegetables?)

Chlorine is a very well-known carcinogen, which causes Cancer. I thought this was worth passing on. Pass it on to as many people as possible in hopes of informing them where these carrots come from and how they are processed.

How many of us buy those baby carrots for vegetable dips. Guess we need to think again!!!!

Confirmed by Snopes:

1. snopes.com: Baby Carrots
Are baby carrots made from deformed full-sized carrots that have been soaked in chlorine?
...Carrot and Shtick Claim: Baby carrots are made from deformed full-sized carrots that have been permeated with chlorine. Example: [Collected via....
...carrots that you buy in grocery stores come from deformed crooked big carrots. They are put through a machine to become small cocktail carrots. This part...

Wow I feed my crickets AND my daughter baby carrots! Thank you for the info. Do they do that to organic ones too?

In a way if you think about it while your eating them... You've always wondered what that weird after taste is... Oh thats right its CANCER!! Anyways I guess I'll be removing these from my gutload list /:

Wow I feed my crickets AND my daughter baby carrots! Thank you for the info. Do they do that to organic ones too?

Organic baby carrots are about the only true baby carrots. I read about this about two years ago and adjusted accordingly. I eat them daily and wondered why some baby carrots are good and others are not. It's the chlorine!!! :mad:

ya'll can thank Mama ChamsInMyHouse for sending me this. i always thought baby carrots were the most nutritious ones. so glad i found this. though baby carrots were never used as a large portion of gutload. mostly for quick hydration to my supers, but deff an ingredient to stay away from completely as i am not going to buy organic bby carrots when the price can get me better ingredients. yams, and carrots are better sources for beta carotene prEformed vit A

well it sounds like if you do decide to use these carrots, make sure they
are BABY CARROTS not "baby-cut carrots". Also make sure to wash them well to remove any chlorine that may have remained.

thats not good, i eat them all the time and so does my dog. i want thinking about using the old one to feed to the warms and crickets, good thing you said something

good info trace! i kind think if somethings being sold its safe. I know its sounds too trusting an stupid, but i really dont believe in the food industries evils, for the most part (Mcdonalds can go to hell) Anywho, chlorine soaked carrots seem unlikely to be in a dangerous way

i used to dip my carrots in my pool when i grew them myself/ i like the taste. didnt think id get cancer becuz i tend to swim in it and it goes in ur skin doesnt it? mabey in large amounts/ however def takeing off chams gutload. they arnt ppl.

ps- post pics of kiwii plz. shes a really pritty girl veiled and i want to c if clair will grow up that pritty.

If a little bit of chlorine scares you then I suggest that you never investigate how "fresh" poultry and and other meat products are prepared...

As several of the previous posters mentioned chlorine and other similar chemicals are in alot of the foods we eat. Including in the tap water in most major citys in Canada and the US.

I have been using baby carrots in my gutload for the last couple of years. I have had no problems with the crickets over this period.

As several of the previous posters mentioned chlorine and other similar chemicals are in alot of the foods we eat. Including in the tap water in most major citys in Canada and the US.

I have been using baby carrots in my gutload for the last couple of years. I have had no problems with the crickets over this period.

though we have ALL at some point used b.carrots in the past with no problems. it is something to think about it. we never want our chams ingesting large amounts of cholorine. which is why we 1) condition our water with dechlorinizers and/or 2) we try our best to use R.O, though some have strictly used tap and nothing else. it is different from city to city and town to town, and as you're right, you cannot prevent the use of chemicals, but you can make changes as you see them.

you can support and by locally as well, where preperation is nothing but thoroughly wash out any potention pesticides. deffinately beats the actually ingredient "soaking" or being preserved by other chemicals

If a little bit of chlorine scares you then I suggest that you never investigate how "fresh" poultry and and other meat products are prepared...

why do you think chicken mcnuggets, chicken burgers all of that is snow white in the food industry. i see your view ferret. i personally am not afraid of whatevers in my food. its not for my benefit, its for the added health to my chams.

pool water taste great.. why would i complain about chlorine bleached chicken? :rolleyes::p

This is utter nonsense.

1) Baby cut carrots are not now derived from whittled down larger carrots, though that was attempted in the past. They are varieties bred for the purpose, or harvested when young (hence the name).

2) Even if the above point were true, it would be irrelevant? Ever eat carrot sticks?

3) Yep, baby carrots are disinfected with a mild chlorine solution to make them safe for eating...as are all other ready to eat vegetables. It is then rinsed off.

4) As mentioned, chlorine is also used to disinfect most tap water and pool water at MUCH higher concentrations than present here.

5) The whiteness on dried out carrots comes from them drying out, not from chlorine. Buy any carrot from anywhere or grow one yourself, peel it, and put it in the fridge. Wham, bam, the same whiteness.

6) Baby cut carrots are at least as safe to eat as any food ever is.

Frankly, passing on thoroughly debunked urban myths like this is a surprising thing to see here IMHO. There are real problems in the world than need to be corrected. Worrying about nonsense like this is seriously counterproductive.

cj

Back
Top Bottom