B.thamnobates arrival(finally)

Thanks for the compliments guys!

These guys are really neat to work with. :)

I love watching them.

I have kept them all together most of the time, and seeing them all interact with one another, seeing how that effects their behavior, and seeing them have "social interactions" is just so much different to me from having a single animal in an enclosure.

It makes them even more interesting to watch.

On sexing them:

First, I think that they have been sexed incorrectly, and that there are two males, and one female.

Here is a google search for male specimens:
https://www.google.com/search?q=B.+...A&biw=1525&bih=709&sei=NvYHUIjFOoqI8QTAoYG1BA

For females:
https://www.google.com/search?q=B.+....,cf.osb&fp=f535fba2d8d39ed5&biw=1525&bih=709

If one pays close attention to say, Mr. Cristopher V. Anderson's photographs out of those listings. They give a good clear view of the overall animal, and their respective color patterns.

You will notice that males tend to have a small oval shaped orange/red/pink splotch on their side, with a yellow/tan ring around that, and then green/the animals overall color around that.

Females are more blandly colored, and seem to have simple streaks of greens and tans along their full body.

Now see Kuze, the largest of the three:
P6240146.jpg

P6240147.jpg

Kuze.jpg

Motoko, the second largest:
P6240153.jpg

Yoko, smallest:
P7170342.jpg

P7170347.jpg

What say you?

I think "Kuze" is female, and the other two are male now. :rolleyes:

I think you may be right on the sexing man, but I would also like to say, up until the my recent photos of mine the bright yellow male looked just like Kuze, but he has an obvious bulge. On another note, Im starting to think I may have sexed mine wrong from the get go. One of my "females" showed me almost identical coloration to my male the other day. So I may have a 2.1 group now, which upsets me a bit more... But im going to give it some more time before I officially decide.

Can you see any noticeable hemipenal bulges on any of them?

Post some tailbase shots when you get the opportunity, we'll see if we can get this figured out :)

Ive spoken with the breeder in Germany regarding a couple of your concerns about the sexing of your Bradypodion, and he assures me that they are sexed correctly. He has raised many generations of Bradypodion so I have to go by what he tells me and how they were labeled and sent to me. If by any chance there is a male or female that were supposed to be the other sex Im sure we can get some more in for everyone on the next shipment later this year, along with some damaranum:D;)

Ive spoken with the breeder in Germany regarding a couple of your concerns about the sexing of your Bradypodion, and he assures me that they are sexed correctly. He has raised many generations of Bradypodion so I have to go by what he tells me and how they were labeled and sent to me. If by any chance there is a male or female that were supposed to be the other sex Im sure we can get some more in for everyone on the next shipment later this year, along with some damaranum:D;)

I dont think mine were imprperly sexed, i only meant that i may have mislabled upon arrival. As for snakes, not sure but we still may be golden

They are indeed sexed correctly:eek:.

Just nevermind what I was saying before...

picard-facepalm.jpg

Moving on...

The females were showing off today:

P7250419.jpg

P7250415.jpg

P7250427.jpg

P7250425.jpg

P7250430.jpg

P7250436.jpg

P7250421.jpg

P7250414.jpg

P7250413.jpg

Snake, that is one BAD ASS thamnobates, male or female!!!:eek: I can only imagine what IT will look like as an adult, especially when the knobs start growing like crazy:D

Snake, that is one BAD ASS thamnobates, male or female!!!:eek: I can only imagine what IT will look like as an adult, especially when the knobs start growing like crazy:D

Those are of the two females.

(Im sure they are female now)

(I just cant think goodly all the time)

The first (bright yellow) one is Yoko, and the second is Motoko.

Lol great pics man.

Thanks man! ;D

Here is the male:

P7250445.jpg

P7250444.jpg

P7250442.jpg

P7250440.jpg

P7250439.jpg

Does anyone have an opinion on the obvious area of interest near his mouth?

A normal abnormality? Or maybe an infection?

I believe its always been there, but I can only really see it in pictures, so its hard for me to assess.

...and more of Motoko:

P7250450.jpg

P7250451.jpg

P7250452.jpg

For Ataraxia:

The females have more of a this kind of thing going on on their sides:
atraxample.jpg

The males, well dont. ;P

At least at this age.

Im not sure how noticeable it is in the pictures, but Kuze is significantly larger than the females. Not double their size, but almost.

Hello!

Ive been participating so very little here recently, I want to say how much Ive missed everyone. :)

I have some update pictures and video, and a few things to discuss.

Discussion first. ;)

I was correct in my previous assumption that they were indeed incorrectly sexed. This does not make me angry, maybe slightly irritated for just a short amount of time, but not at anyone in particular. I feel that it was a "risk" in the first place, and that these things happen.

Yoko, and Motoko were/are in fact male, and Kuze is female.

The two remaining thamnos will hence forth switch names.

Motoko was Kuze, and Kuze was Motoko. Got it? Ok.

I feel that there is some chance that Yoko died because of over aggressiveness towards the then "Kuze" to breed. He was always near her, even slept right by her. I had found Yoko on top of Kuze many times, but why would a female be on a male? Just to get away from me/the camera I assumed.
If she became gravid, and he still wanted to breed, she may have become violent towards him. This is just one possiblity of many, and I will never be sure as I could not get any vet to do a necropsy. (although Im surely on some black-list for hounding them to at least attempt it)

This brings me to another point. Im 85%+ sure that Motoko is gravid.
The 15% that is unsure is simply there because I have no experience in breeding at all, so Im allowing myself some "insurance". ;)

She has visibly grown in the belly area, to such an extent that I see no other hypothesis. If she is gravid, she is carrying the deceased Yoko's babies. So at least there is a possibility that he was able to do his job, and pass his genes on.

The other male continues as he has always done, to keep his distance from the female. They seem to co-habitate with no issues, but he obviously respects her space to some extent. They do get close at times, even crawling over one another, but this is rare, and usually during feeding times, or when I have intervened in there placement somehow.

The male is very eager to escape when the cage is opened. I chalk this up to him wanting to find his own female, much as my panther will shoot out of the cage when he can.

They continue to amaze me each time I check on them. They show such a wonderful range of coloration! They are so tiny, yet so confident! I have a new love for the smaller species. :)

Here are a few pictures from the other day, Im working on a video now that will be uploaded later today. I also have pictures from today that Ill post shortly.

Kuze, male:

P8070551.jpg

IMG_0071.jpg

IMG_0070.jpg

IMG_0061.jpg

IMG_0060.jpg

IMG_0058.jpg

IMG_0057.jpg

IMG_0055.jpg

IMG_0042.jpg

Awesome pics, they are gorgeous.. I think i got my looking at bady vents in for the day..Thanks for the 101 with brady sexing. :D

They look great!! Glad you still have a pair but even having anything is better for the group as a whole. I had quite a few mis-sexed from the first import I did which was all thamnobates.

Its also possible she is gravid. They reach sexual maturity at a really young age. She looks fat to me.

Back
Top Bottom