AZ Rain Dome questions

stephga

I have been eagerly awaiting my AquaZamp Rain Dome, which arrived today. I got it all set up and turned it on for a little test run. I was disappointed :(
The mist seemed to work for a bit, and there were some drops, but then the water started pooling up on the screen, going up under the lights and running down only occasionally in streams. There was a lot of water on the floor and wall and around the cage. Am I doing it wrong? This is supposed to sit on top of a screen right? I have a ReptiBreeze.

I hope this helps

Hi Steph,

It sounds like you are doing it right. I am wondering if maybe the nozzles got moved around inside of the RainDome? Be sure they are pointing straight down and not to the side. Also I wonder what kind of screen the ReptiBreeze uses? It really shouldn't matter as it is standard window screen material I believe. Another thing, what kind of water are you using?

Kevin Zamp

Thanks for your quick reply. I will double check the nozzle positioning. I am using distilled water.

if pooling continues you can "gently" make the holes in the screen on top slightly bigger. that helped with my set up.:D
'

in my experience it what you are experencing will happen on a "reptarium" style plastic screen enclosure due to the material being much finer, with smaller holes. So the water tends to pool easier

If you happen to have a "metal screen" enclosure, it happens much less

But if you want the absolute BEST results, I would say physically hang the rain dome WITH-IN the enclosure.

I have tried all 3 variations listed above, and once I physically moved the rain dome within the enclosure it has worked like a dream. I get full out 50% mist, and 50% solid consistent rain droplets spread out evenly across the rain dome. Works perfect, and it was really easy to do, I just drilled 4 very small pin size holes in the 4 corners of the top of the rain dome, looped some fishing line or steel bead line through 2 of the holes and tied it to the top of the enclosure, repeat again on other side, and its been there ever since.

Hmmm...if the water is "pooling" and running under the lights to the side, I have to question if your cage is level or not. I've used the actual raindome sent by AZ and made other domes from bowls and deli cups without issue.

I say all of this to say: make sure the enclosure is level. ;)

Good point, it may not actually be level. I have it on a 3-tier wire wrack which has a lip on front and back that makes the shelf surface just under 18 inches (my cage is 18", so it has to be "off" on the front or the back). I was guessing it has to do with the screen itself... it is metal type screen and has very small holes. I was getting pooling under my yogurt container dripper too, come to think of it. I suppose I will try propping it up a half and inch off the screen with some dowels or something to see if that helps, otherwise I will try to adjust the screen hole size under the dome.

I was getting little pools of water on top of my screen cage too.
The pool would form, and water would dribble down, but in a thin stream,
not drops.
I used a stainless steel dental pick to make some larger holes in the screen.

works better now, but still pools some, and when I bump the cage, I get a little water fall

Tried it again this morning, and had the same problem. It wouldn't bother me so much if the lights weren't also on the screen. I guess I will try enlarging the screen, as I don't have any other options for the lights.

I've found that the brand new, literally never used before, aluminum cages (like LLL's and FL Chams') can pool on the first use. I let the water build up once or twice and then swipe my hand back and forth on the screen. It releases that tension and the water flows fine. After that, whatever deposits the drying water leaves seem to make it not pool again. I recommend watering with this method for all large chameleons so don't give up on making it work!

I have the cage from LLLReptile.. I have no issues with pooling with my AZ.. just like some others have stated.. push some bigger holes through the top.. That's what I would do..

I had a stroke of brilliance this afternoon and finally found a use for the little wire cooling rack that came with my Babycakes donut maker! LOL I set my heat lamp up on that, getting it off the screen and creating the exactly perfect temp in my basking area. It is metal, so it should be fine long term I think... The dome didn't pool on the screen the last time I used it this evening. Yay! I will see how it goes tomorrow. Now to figure out how often and for what duration to set it! If I turn my lights on from 8-8, then when would you recommend having it go, and for how long each time?

I had a stroke of brilliance this afternoon and finally found a use for the little wire cooling rack that came with my Babycakes donut maker! LOL I set my heat lamp up on that, getting it off the screen and creating the exactly perfect temp in my basking area. It is metal, so it should be fine long term I think... The dome didn't pool on the screen the last time I used it this evening. Yay! I will see how it goes tomorrow. Now to figure out how often and for what duration to set it! If I turn my lights on from 8-8, then when would you recommend having it go, and for how long each time?

I like to operating 'rain' an hour after lights on. I actually stagger my lights... UVB/6500K lamps on first and heat lamp 45-60 minutes later and then water 60 minutes after heat lamps on.

Now it doesn't work at all! I think my bucket ran low on water and now when it turns on, nothing happens!

I like to operating 'rain' an hour after lights on. I actually stagger my lights... UVB/6500K lamps on first and heat lamp 45-60 minutes later and then water 60 minutes after heat lamps on.

Interesting.. why do you stagger your lights? If you don't mind me asking :D

This should fix it

Now it doesn't work at all! I think my bucket ran low on water and now when it turns on, nothing happens!

Hey Steph,

This is a simple problem to correct. It happens to a few people here and there on their first time running dry. You have not damaged the pump, so don't worry about the pump :D. The way to correct this is to disconnect the tube from the RainDome and then power on the pump. Run the pump until you get a some water flowing out of the tube, then turn the pump off and reconnect the RainDome. Now manually turn on the pump again with everything connected and test the operation.

Interesting.. why do you stagger your lights? If you don't mind me asking :D

You mean the on times? so that it sorta is like a sunrise/sunset but also when you have a lot of cages it saves on energy. Another reason is that it will help trigger the chameleons for sleep.

The best way it worked was in my free range which has a lot of lights. I could bring on two, for about 30 minutes and then the rest of the UVB and then bring on the heat lamps. It was kinda neat to watch the UVB come on and all the chameleons slowly moving to the basking spot and then the basking lamps would be on just as they were getting to their places.

Back
Top Bottom