Automatic Misting Schedule

paczkica

For those of you with automatic misters, how often and how long do you mist for? I have been doing it 3 times a day for 20 minutes. Is this alright, or would more times a day for a shorter duration be better?

I believe that more frequent, less duration (but long enough for condensation to form on the plants), mistings is more appropriate for some chameleons as long as you have a drip system running too. If you don't have a drip, longer mistings may be necessary.
I'm setting up temperate/montane/high forest type enclosures for quadricornis and another for parsonii. For these species, I was planning on a heavy morning misting of probably 10 minutes every 30 minutes between the hours of 8AM and 11AM, followed by a dry spell from 11 AM until 3PM (during basking hours). *My humidifier will come on between 3PM and 7PM for added humidity during the basking time.*
Misting will start again at 7PM and will continue the '10 minutes every 30 minutes' until lights out at 10:30 PM. Misting will be off until the following morning around 8 AM.
I'm going to try and mimic how I percieve the natural habitat might be for these species. Of course I'll tweak this schedule if needed if I see they are getting too much or too little water.
I'm buying very very fine mist nozzles for my misting application.
I may also have a drip system going as well, but not sure just yet if it will be needed.
Hope this helps some.

Of course, I'll tweak this schedule once its in operation

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom