Automatic drip system using pump instructions/ the better little dripper

UPDATE:

After a year this has proved to be a very good solution for me. My pump did just die and the original one I ordered was out of stock so I found this one and it works as a perfect replacement https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LHC8UX8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

A few things to note. I do clean the reservoir every month. The water will warm up with the pump so this is important to keep clean. I always keep 2 gallons of water in it as well so it does not make the water overly warm.
Also on the pump make sure you open the water flow all the way. This is the only way it pulls enough to get it up the hose if your cage is high. I have almost 6 feet in between where my reservoir is and the top of the cage where the dripper is. On a lower setting it will not push the water that distance.
Thank you thank you :love: .

Beman, is there a way you can make instructions on how to build this and put it in a PDF format or something and like pin it to the forums for easier access? I think you made something worthy to be shared and used by many Cham owners. Just a thought.

Beman, is there a way you can make instructions on how to build this and put it in a PDF format or something and like pin it to the forums for easier access? I think you made something worthy to be shared and used by many Cham owners. Just a thought.
I could do a blog on it but those still have to be searched up. Kinda like this post if someone searches little dripper this post will pull up.

Honestly I already did the care images and those took quite a bit just with layout not to mention just trying to get the group to agree on info. Then people started arguing about them once they were released and 3 of them were removed from the forum leaving just the gutload and feeder ones. So months of time wasted in the end with very little to show for it.

This would have the same results... there will be those that do not like that the water gets warm in the reservoir even though it is much more like room temp coming out of the dripper. Also you will get those that decide to do this and never clean the reservoir as well. Kinda a lose lose situation... lol

Has anyone had any luck using this system with live plants? I always had the issue of my drippers flooding my plants. I'm not the best at keeping live plants does anyone have any suggestions or experience? I was thinking about drilling holes in the bottom of the pot and maybe putting a layer of rocks at the bottom.

Has anyone had any luck using this system with live plants? I always had the issue of my drippers flooding my plants. I'm not the best at keeping live plants does anyone have any suggestions or experience? I was thinking about drilling holes in the bottom of the pot and maybe putting a layer of rocks at the bottom.
I highly suggest having drain holes and a drainage layer in the bottom of your pots... I have about an inch of hydroballs in the bottom of all my pots. have never had an issue of anything being too wet https://www.chewy.com/zoo-med-hydro...MImLCJ2IHw6AIVJPC1Ch2ZzQo1EAQYASABEgJg2vD_BwE

As far as utilizing this with live plants I suppose you could just use the lowest drip rate on the valves.

Yep, you should do that.

Holes then rocks/eggcrate then screen/weedblock then soil :).

In regards to OPs comment about the green nozzles. Do those nozzles spray? I’m curious to know if this would power both a misting system AND a dripper.

In regards to OPs comment about the green nozzles. Do those nozzles spray? I’m curious to know if this would power both a misting system AND a dripper.
Yes they are more of a spray... I did not play around with this much at all because they were not what I specifically wanted. I am not sure if the pump would put out enough pressure for 1 or multiples. I suppose it would depend on how much hose you have running from the pump to the cage. Right now I can get a 6 foot length and the pump still has enough pressure for the red drip nozzles.

The spray is not a fine mist like a mist king though. And if you wanted consistent dripping during the day you would have a hard time using both nozzles on one pump or you would get mist as well. I prefer my Mistking for misting.

@Beman I’ve definitely found this solution to work really well over time and have had absolutely zero problems. I also just recently used this thread to purchase a 2nd pump and fitting to route to my fogger and put it on a schedule timer to automatically refill from my mistking reservoir. Works like a champ! Now I can go a couple weeks before I have to add water to the system rather than filling the fogger every other day. Thank you!

@Beman I’ve definitely found this solution to work really well over time and have had absolutely zero problems. I also just recently used this thread to purchase a 2nd pump and fitting to route to my fogger and put it on a schedule timer to automatically refill from my mistking reservoir. Works like a champ! Now I can go a couple weeks before I have to add water to the system rather than filling the fogger every other day. Thank you!
Creative!!!! great job!

Great set up. I hadn’t seen this thread until it came up again yesterday. Coincidentally had just finished an automatic dripper using a cheap dosing pump, a 5 liter reservoir, and a timer. Running it a 4-5 times per day for 5 minutes each. The pump drips at about 15 mL per minute and I think a bit slower would be better, but for $20 you don’t get a very fancy dosing pump
Calcifer seems to really like it, and he doesn’t even like being looked at;)

Thank you for this guide! I've ordered the pieces and am currently implementing this. So easy, programmable, and much more reliable than using a gravity dripper :)

Thank you for this guide! I've ordered the pieces and am currently implementing this. So easy, programmable, and much more reliable than using a gravity dripper :)
Your welcome! It worked really well for me when I used it. Just make sure your cleaning your reservoir regularly and that it is a large enough one so that the pump does not heat the water too much. I cleaned mine every 14 days to a month and always kept at least 2 gallons in it. You have to do a bit of tweaking to the heads you use... Some that came with mine sucked but some worked great.

This sounds amazing! Do you have any pictures to share or how you've scheduled the filling?

I'd love to do something similar myself with the 4L fogger I have coming today. Ideally, I'd like to only refill one reservoir, especially since I plan on having the fogger elevated. I plan on having my dripper pump run for 2 hours 2x per day. I wonder if I could use the same single pump for the dripper AND refilling the fogger. I'm not sure how timing might work and wouldn't want to overflow the fogger.

Your welcome! It worked really well for me when I used it. Just make sure your cleaning your reservoir regularly and that it is a large enough one so that the pump does not heat the water too much. I cleaned mine every 14 days to a month and always kept at least 2 gallons in it. You have to do a bit of tweaking to the heads you use... Some that came with mine sucked but some worked great.

Note taken :) Cleaning is definitely a must. I have a 4-5 gallon reservoir right now, but if I can end up using this same reservoir to fill the fogger as well I may end up getting a large reservoir.

Note taken :) Cleaning is definitely a must. I have a 4-5 gallon reservoir right now, but if I can end up using this same reservoir to fill the fogger as well I may end up getting a large reservoir.
Yeah I ran separate reservoirs on mine. Only capable of holding about 2 1/2 gallons each. But the pump does heat the water that is why you end up having to clean this one. My mistking reservoir stays extremely clean although I do clean this one every few months anyway when I do my deep cleans on my set up.

Yeah I ran separate reservoirs on mine. Only capable of holding about 2 1/2 gallons each. But the pump does heat the water that is why you end up having to clean this one. My mistking reservoir stays extremely clean although I do clean this one every few months anyway when I do my deep cleans on my set up.

So, would your recommendation be to NOT use the same reservoir for the mistking and dripper? Or since I am using a larger reservoir, and plan on getting an even larger one, that it may be less of an issue?

So, would your recommendation be to NOT use the same reservoir for the mistking and dripper? Or since I am using a larger reservoir, and plan on getting an even larger one, that it may be less of an issue?
May be less of an issue for you since your reservoir will be much larger. May be more of a hassle though if you need to clean it more frequently due to the water being warmed by the pump. Just because you will have to disconnect the mistking while trying not to pour it all out the feed tube connector at the bottom lol. I have done this and yes it was a valuable learning experience lol

Dang, I really want to follow this guide but the pump is no longer on Amazon. All of the alternatives posted in this thread are also dead links 😢

Does anyone have a pump recommendation for this system?

Back
Top Bottom