At what solarmeter 6.5R reading should I replace my UVB?

Tony_S

Chameleon Enthusiast
My enclosure has been up and running since the end of August 2019 (about 10 months). When setting up the enclosure I had solarmeter 6.5R readings of 2.9 at the branch and 3.5 at his back. I now have readings of around 2.7-2.8 at his back. I check these readings the beginning of every month.

I'm using a 36" Arcadia 6% bulb in a Light Your Reptile dual fixture along with a 6500K daylight bulb.

The question I have, at what reading should I replace the bulb? I have already ordered a replacement 6% bulb yesterday.

Here is a link to my critique thread back when I had Peri/Coza. https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/please-critique-my-setup.171603/

Thanks,

Tony

It is up to you really. 2.7 is still a good number at the back. Even a 2.5 would be good. I tend to keep mine at 3 minimum because I do not use D3. So I order a new one anytime it drops to a 2.9 at the back. I run a 3.2-3.9 back up to casque depending on location on the top level though.

Thanks Becca, I wasn’t sure if it was ever said “the reading should not be below this amount”. I’m still using the Repashy calcium plus LoD at every feeding which is 3 times a week. I’ve noticed the bulb starting to get black on the ends of it, which is why I went ahead and ordered the replacement in case it burns out on me.

Thanks Becca, I wasn’t sure if it was ever said “the reading should not be below this amount”. I’m still using the Repashy calcium plus LoD at every feeding which is 3 times a week. I’ve noticed the bulb starting to get black on the ends of it, which is why I went ahead and ordered the replacement in case it burns out on me.
Your welcome Tony. Yeah different people will run them down to their own limits. I just happen to not like to take them too far down but then again I have very specific UVI levels I stick to because it ties into my supplementation.

IMO, you're probably good a while longer; maybe check the reading more often. Since you're supplementing w/ calcium & 3D, that's helping as well. MBD is slow to set in (most sources I've read suggest weeks to months), and is more of a risk with younger fast-growing reptiles than mature adults.

Back
Top Bottom